• Verizon FiOS
    • Comcast XFINITY
    • Time Warner Cable
    • Charter Communications
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use the Live TV in MB

• Yes
    • No

I use a UHF/VHF antenna for OTA reception, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube for streaming.  I got tired of paying 140.00 a month for 600 channels of nothing to watch. I'm using WMC with MB classic until MBT is done. My setup satisfies just about all of our viewing needs.

buddyweiser

If there was an option for streaming DirecTV I would probably use the live tv function of the server.

If there was an option for streaming DirecTV I would probably use the live tv function of the server.

I don't think that is ever going to happen.  For a long time, they had a PC card in development but that project was scrapped a few years ago.  The market is just way too small for them to worry about.

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for ever but, honestly, the only thing I use it for now is live sports.

david3663

I used the HD-PVR with WMC and DirecTV for a long time it worked ok for me not sure how it would handling streaming tho. I have moved to comcast since tho.

LiquidFX

I don't think that is ever going to happen.  For a long time, they had a PC card in development but that project was scrapped a few years ago.  The market is just way too small for them to worry about.

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for ever but, honestly, the only thing I use it for now is live sports.

Same thing here, I have actually been thinking of dropping them to go with a company that I can hook up to my HTPC so I can take advantage of the Live TV option.

deuce9498

I can't believe you put this survey here with THIS community without an ATSC over the air antenna option.   :)   I'm picking up approximately 50 channels with the bulk of them being 60 miles from my house.

One time cost of about $300 in materials have enabled recurring month bill for live TV $ 0.0.  And lots of people might not even need a VHF specific antenna ($100).  But I did have the climb on my roof...

Stick in your address.  You might be surprised what's possible with an antenna.  I found these sites were the best resources.

Roof

• Clearstream 4 UHF
  • Clearstream 5 VHF
  • Gablemount bracket

Basement

• RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier
  • Sandy Bridge i3 Win8 PC with (4) 3TB drives using storage spaces volume (software raid)
  • HDHomerun Network TV tuner
  • Next PVR (Also used TunerMCE before)

Living Room

• Roku3

I have TWC in Dallas TX area. TWC is notorious for CCI copy once on everything except locals. I also have local TV through ATSC tuners.  MB3 live tv is totally useless for those of us on ISPs that copy protect all the channels. I would be able to use MB3 with the locals on live tv but that is all. I can't reliably get live tv to work through MB3 so I just use it direct through WMC7.  If you guys would consider getting MB3 to be its own encrypted tv provider that would help the rest of us out immensly.

Koleckai Silvestri

Have Time Warner Cable. Don't use the Live TV in Media Browser. Our clients are Rokus and the Time Warner channel for the Roku provides a better live television experience. The app also saves the money on cable boxes which would be the sought after benefit for live TV.

trusselo

I live in canada, all tv providers 2 major 1 minor, Telus, Shaw and Bell satellite  (telus and bell also major telcom companies).

all services are IPTV systems,  Telus uses IPTV over telphone lines, with decoders in modem and digital set top boxes, or just satellite with receivers. Shaw does the same thing but over coaxial cable to the home. 

in eastern canada, you can swap shaw for cogeco (still IPTV over coax), Swap Bell for telus (also has IPTV system over phone). And add rogers as a minor provider with some type of IPTV system as well, probably using Bells lines.

funny note: in eastern canada bell owns the phone lines and cell towers, in western canada telus owns the phone lines and cell towers.  Canada wide Telus and Bell share their cell towers. its the same network. but only bell advertises that they have the fastest lte network.  manitoba is still a govt run telco, saskatchewan is a privatised former govt telco.  

not sure what they have available for TV providers in those 2 provinces, or the northern territories. 

there is a dwindling number of stations available over analog coaxial cable ~30, anything more requires special hardware.

so for 80% of canada or better, we have proprietary IPTV set top boxes required for any type of useful operation.  Canada has also made the switch to digital television OTA broadcasting. there is no analog signals broadcast for TV over the air requiring a digital tuner for OTA broadcasting.  Population density vs # of stations available is only good in maybe 20 canadian cities (realistically 10) in order to have OTA digital or analog over coax be considered enough to get by.... 

not a feature for canada.

Edited by trusselo

politby

Only US providers ;)

Ehh... Why?

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

politby

I see why live tv is not a priority now!

Yeah. The #1 topic right now seems to be the one about "sonarr" ;)

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

there is a dwindling number of stations available over analog coaxial cable ~30, anything more requires special hardware.

so for 80% of canada or better, we have proprietary IPTV set top boxes required for any type of useful operation.  Canada has also made the switch to digital television OTA broadcasting. there is no analog signals broadcast for TV over the air requiring a digital tuner for OTA broadcasting.  Population density vs # of stations available is only good in maybe 20 canadian cities (realistically 10) in order to have OTA digital or analog over coax be considered enough to get by.... 

not a feature for canada.

I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR connected to my STB and get everything into the PC without any issue.  It's an extra cost, but it works perfectly with the live TV function in Canada.

Spaceboy

Can't see the poll but I use sky in the uk. I use an alt method to get it into mb3 via serverwmc. Yes I do use sonarr but I still rely on live television heavily, mainly for the other half's soaps and the like. My sky sub actually covers all I get through sonarr (apart from a bit of timing and being in HD) so I have a clear conscience!

• 2 weeks later...
Wareagle

I have a Ceton Infiniti with cable card from Comcast in my Win7 HTPC with 12Tb of space. MB3 works well and love it.

• Like 1

politby

I have subscriptions with two Swedish satellite operators, Viasat and Canal Digital. I have a DVBlink server running which distributes to 3 WMC PCs.

Unfortunately I can only get SD TV from Viasat as they are pairing their subscription cards to their own STBs for all HD channels. The only reason I still use them is that they have a golf channel.

Both providers used to have pretty good content but in the last couple of years they have started to go downhill fast. I think they are losing a lot of customers to streaming and that they simply no longer can afford to license quality content.

I will most likely be cancelling my sat contracts very soon. There is now very little that I cannot get from Netflix and Vudu in combination with the free stuff I get via the terrestrial antenna.

I am not particularly into sports, which probably makes it easier for me to cut the satellite cables. Large events like the Olympics are always available on terrestrial. I will probably miss the golf channel though.

--

Edited by politby

• 2 weeks later...

Live TV with Time Warner with copy protection, but I do have 18 live tv channels setup with serverwmc for local stuff and it is used by external family members via the Roku.

Internally we use the TWC Roku app, TWC 360 App and our windows media center extenders.

• 3 years later...
tdiguy

Same thing here, I have actually been thinking of dropping them to go with a company that I can hook up to my HTPC so I can take advantage of the Live TV option.

Totally worth doing :) this would be similar to my switch. I was a dish subscriber for over 18 years. For internet my selection was dsl or comcast. So i dropped dish ( i was paying 70$ a month ) and increased my package from comcast, in total i am saving 40$ a month and have more channels than before which now includes ALL my locals ( which dish never even had as an option for some reason i get prov and boston as local via comcast and dish only gave boston ) I now also own the "receiver" ie my media center nearly half my bill from dish was equipment costs! I can easily expand my system if i wish in any way i wish and all my recordings will always be available to me if i change my subscription ( dish recently changed their firmware so if you drop a channel you cant playback recordings from said channel )

One small caveat, get people in the house used to exiting emby live tv properly especially for the hdhr devices. Otherwise it can create headaches with hung tuners. For example on the amazon fire devices hit the back button not the home button until out of the live tv stream. There are tools out there though to also forcefully release a tuner if you need to for both microsoft and linux systems.

Edited by tdiguy

mastrmind11

One small caveat, get people in the house used to exiting emby live tv properly especially for the hdhr devices. Otherwise it can create headaches with hung tuners. For example on the amazon fire devices hit the back button not the home button until out of the live tv stream. There are tools out there though to also forcefully release a tuner if you need to for both microsoft and linux systems.

^^ this.  So many of my users just turn off the tv and go do something else, which leaves the channel running, tuner occupied, and server transcoding (if required).  P's me off waking up in the morning knowing my CPU was pegged all day/night.  

Edited by mastrmind11

For example on the amazon fire devices hit the back button not the home button until out of the live tv stream. 

Hitting the Home button shouldn't be a problem.

What could be a problem is just turning off the TV leaving it running.  But, for that scenario, the app does have an option called "Runaway playback prevention" that will shut down playback after a while.