• Comcast XFINITY
    • Time Warner Cable
    • Charter Communications
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use the Live TV in MB

• Yes
    • No

clarkss12

I think the issue of not releasing the tuner, by not exiting the app properly has been resolved.  NYPlayer and I both test it, and I could not get the tuner to NOT  release, no matter what I tried.

Can you test again on your devices??

thanks.

tdiguy

i will give this a test out tonight when i get home and report what happens. I can actually easily test out a few scenario's including sudden power off. If sudden power offs are handled gracefully also that would be awesome. This would also explain why i have only had to forcefully release a tuner once over the last few days lol and here i was all amazed that my wife's habits changed so fast.

Guest asrequested

Hitting the Home button shouldn't be a problem.

What could be a problem is just turning off the TV leaving it running.  But, for that scenario, the app does have an option called "Runaway playback prevention" that will shut down playback after a while.

For the issue of just turning off the tv, would it be possible, if CEC is enabled, that the emby app would automatically stop playing if the TV is turned off? Can CEC be used to achieve that?

For the issue of just turning off the tv, would it be possible, if CEC is enabled, that the emby app would automatically stop playing if the TV is turned off? Can CEC be used to achieve that?

If CEC is enabled, I believe turning off the TV will put the Shield to sleep which would stop playback.  But, even if not, the runaway playback prevention should take care of it within an hour or so.

tdiguy

I think the issue of not releasing the tuner, by not exiting the app properly has been resolved.  NYPlayer and I both test it, and I could not get the tuner to NOT  release, no matter what I tried.

Can you test again on your devices??

thanks.

For me hitting the home button while watching live tv manages to tie up 2 tuners ( yep not just 1, 2 of them ). I am using the older amazon fire tv ( the one that doesnt suck and has a ethernet port and a microsd card slot ). I will test the power off thing some other time. my honey do list is far too long tonight.

Edited by tdiguy

Guest asrequested

If CEC is enabled, I believe turning off the TV will put the Shield to sleep which would stop playback.  But, even if not, the runaway playback prevention should take care of it within an hour or so.

I don't like the runaway playback prevention. It stops playback after every episode. And I'm using a MiBox not a Shield

Edited by Doofus

I don't like the runaway playback prevention. It stops playback after every episode. And I'm using a MiBox not a Shield

Only if your episodes are over an hour in length and you don't interact with the app in any way for that whole hour.

Guest asrequested

Only if your episodes are over an hour in length and you don't interact with the app in any way for that whole hour.

Every one hour show I've watched, triggers it. I had to stop using it, because it was stopping after every show.

Every one hour show I've watched, triggers it. I had to stop using it, because it was stopping after every show.

Okay, if your usage pattern is to watch hours of shows with absolutely no interaction the, yeah, that option wouldn't work very well for you :).

Guest asrequested

Okay, if your usage pattern is to watch hours of shows with absolutely no interaction the, yeah, that option wouldn't work very well for you :).

So it's supposed to stop after one show?

So it's supposed to stop after one show?

No, it is supposed to ask you if want to continue after at least one show and at least one hour of no interaction with the remote control (as if, say, someone fell asleep).

All you have to do his hit any key on the remote when the message pops up and it will keep playing.

Guest asrequested

Ah, I see. Yeah that's not going to work for me. I'm likely to leave the room, briefly. I expect it to still be on, when I come back. I'd like the app to stop any playback as soon as I turn the TV, off, via CEC.

Ah, I see. Yeah that's not going to work for me. I'm likely to leave the room, briefly. I expect it to still be on, when I come back. I'd like the app to stop any playback as soon as I turn the TV, off, via CEC.

Leaving the room is pretty much the same as someone falling asleep and the item continuing to play when no one is watching it is exactly what the option is designed prevent :).  So, no, in your desired usage pattern, the option is not for you.

Guest asrequested

Leaving the room is pretty much the same as someone falling asleep and the item continuing to play when no one is watching it is exactly what the option is designed prevent :). So, no, in your desired usage pattern, the option is not for you.

Yup, I wasnt complaining, just understanding my options. The CEC thing would be nice, though :)

tdiguy

If emby handles it well a smart strip might work well. I haven't tested it on my fire yet but if powering off is handled well there are smart strips that are like 7$ one outlet is the "control" so if you plug your TV into that and the smart device into the switched outlet shutting the tv off powers off the smart device. If emby handles this situation well it might be a low tech and cheap solution.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mastrmind11

+1 for the tv off, emby off.  Wife/in-laws have a hard time remembering to back out of the app to kill the tuner(s).  TV off would solve literally *all* problems.

• Like 1

If emby handles it well a smart strip might work well. I haven't tested it on my fire yet but if powering off is handled well there are smart strips that are like 7$ one outlet is the "control" so if you plug your TV into that and the smart device into the switched outlet shutting the tv off powers off the smart device. If emby handles this situation well it might be a low tech and cheap solution.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Probably not a good solution.  I doubt these devices are designed to simply have the plug pulled on them at any given time - they are little computers and I don't think you'd do that to your PC :).

I know the app won't handle it well because, well, it will have absolutely no opportunity to.  The device will simply shut down with no warning.

• 6 years later...
hjason7812

i have xfinity and can't use the live tv section in emby, due to there not being a selection for xfinity or comcast i remember there once was i believe i wish it was still there or someone could make a plugin to be able to use their streming tv on emby that would be awesome.

Gilgamesh_48
43 minutes ago, hjason7812 said:

i have xfinity and can't use the live tv section in emby, due to there not being a selection for xfinity or comcast i remember there once was i believe i wish it was still there or someone could make a plugin to be able to use their streming tv on emby that would be awesome.

You can use live TV with xfinity. All you need to do is get Channels-DVR and use their M3Us to get live TV working in Emby. But i do not really recommend that.

You can do what i do and use channels DVR as your live TV engine and use it for recording and point one Emby library at the CH-DVR recording directories.

I do not use CH-DVR for regular TV shows but I do record a lot of live sports. 

There is a problem with using any digital means to record live sports and that problem is that a number of sources, like most of the FOX sports channels, have disabled the ability to digitally stream their offerings using any app but theirs. Fortunately, for me, YouTube TV (which is what I currently use) has improved their interface, it is still pretty bad but it is useable, so I can record in it quite easily. 

To me it often seems like things like "Live TV" are simply tacked on to Emby and the functionality is very much wanting. Over the last few years I have used several providers and attempted to get Emby's live TV working with varied success but I have now given up and my Emby servers have no live TV functionality as it just, for me, does not work either correctly or reliably. The apps provided by the providers almost always are vastly superior to Emby for recording live TV.

tdiguy

For cable TV providers what you want is a cable card and a device like the hdhomerun prime which I don't know if it's still in production or not. Otherwise you want an antenna and other similar hd home run products based on having an antenna. Then from there you can view and record TV in emby. There are streaming providers and they are all over the map on compatibility.

One2Go

I do have the Silicon HDHomerun and use their Over The Air box for live TV and record it on my NAS. Works just fine. For Cable and streaming content, I have subscribed to a few services, for any other content I use Usenet or P2P. The basic difference is when you record you have to edit out the commercials which is done for you using the other methods. I also do subscribe to two add free streaming services.