Question about connecting from localhost

embeathome

embeathome

@ bigjohn, I will let you know tomorrow since i am on a business trip today, but it is rhe very latest Eset version. I am pretty sure both firewalls turned off, i even remember that windows firewall service was completely turned off...

Edited by embeathome

Shouldn't be Eset. I run it ( ESS 7.0.302.26) on all my machines and it's never interfered with MB - unless the Op has some non-standard firewall settings.

Yeah I use ESET at work but just the AV not the firewall. But if I remember right it is an adaptive firewall that can be "taught" in certain modes? That may be an older version.

I've had weird issues with firewall programs in the past, particularly Symantec. We had some communications issues where we thought we had eliminated Symantec as the problem by disabling the firewall. In the process of elimination we eventually uninstalled it as it was one of the few differences between machines that were working vs those that weren't and the problem immediately went away. I'm not saying that is what is happening with ESET here, just a thought.

embeathome

Okay, so what that tells us is that machine can't resolve 'localhost'.  You could try un-commenting those lines in the hosts file or investigate if there is some piece of software or setting that is blocking access to localhost.

I have added following line to hosts file:

192.168.1.30 localhost

and saved it. Then reloaded dashboard in chrome and it worked - MBS dashboard loaded. I don't know if this setting could be used long term but for now is enough. Tomorrow i will try Telnet stuff.

All machines have static IPs and there is no issue with communication between them. I also remember port 8096 is allowed in Win firewall however i use Eset firewall so i need to check if allowed also in Eset...

berrick

@@embeathome, the telnet stuff was just to prove if the port 8069 was open. If you now get the mb dashboard you shouldn't need to do the telnet stuff.

Likewise you shouldn't need to add the host file entry for localhost to work either. Out of interest if you remove or rem out the host file entry you added then goto a command prompt and enter the following and press enter

ping localhost

what do you see on the screen?

embeathome

OK, the OP's setup is not to dissimilar to mine so it should work.

The host file is correct and shouldn't be altered. The order of dns host name lookups is

• host file
  • DNS server specified in the TCP/IP properties of the nic in your system
So if you put stuff in the host file it will take precedence.

Are you using DHCP for IP addresses or have you statically assigned them on your devices? If statically assigned be sure there are no typo's specifically with the subnet mask as that can put the HTPC and clients on different networks stopping them from talking to each other.

Just to confirm. on the HTPC (where the MB server is installed) if you open a web browser (Mine works with IE 11 and Google) and type the following 

h ttp://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/index.html

or 

http://<IP of your HTPC>:8096/mediabrowser/web/index.html

Do you get anything displayed.

If you have the windows firewall enabled on the HTPC check that the MB server and port 8096 are allowed through. I have the firewall enabled and dont have an issue. To check if there is a problem with port 8096 you can enable telnet on the HTPC. To do this 

• goto control panel
  • programs and features
  • then on left hand side click "turn features on or off"
  • select telnet client from list
Once install goto a windows command prompt (type cmd in search files and program) and when the window with black background and white writing appears type the following and press enter.

telnet localhost 8096

If all is well you should just get the following displayed

5480d42d525fb_Clipboard01.jpg

If you dont and get "Connecting To <your IP address>...Could not open connection to the host, on port 8096: Connect failed" or similar then the port is either blocked, there is no app listening on that port or the port you are using is incorrect.

- static address and no typo, I noticed when switching from WinXP to Win 7 that subnet mask is filled out automatically when inserted static IP. In this case static IP is 192.168.1.30 and subnet is 255.255.255.0

-before i edited hosts file as described in above post, when used "localhost:8096/mediabrowser etc etc - page cannot be displayed,offline. When used the IP address:8096/mediabrowser.... dashboard loaded.

- not using Win Firewall but in Eset it is allowed, also in Win firewall

- with edited hosts file, Telnet command returns nothing so it works. After I removed 192.168.1.30 localhost from hosts file i got same result - black screen in cmd window. So it works.

embeathome

Is loopback disabled on that machines NIC perhaps?

I read about loopback and understood what it means + how to enable it by installing MS loopback adapter but it didn't help.

embeathome

@@embeathome, the telnet stuff was just to prove if the port 8069 was open. If you now get the mb dashboard you shouldn't need to do the telnet stuff.

Likewise you shouldn't need to add the host file entry for localhost to work either. Out of interest if you remove or rem out the host file entry you added then goto a command prompt and enter the following and press enter

ping localhost

what do you see on the screen?

ping localhost was successful before editing hostfiles...

I have added following line to hosts file:

192.168.1.30 localhost

and saved it. Then reloaded dashboard in chrome and it worked - MBS dashboard loaded. I don't know if this setting could be used long term but for now is enough. Tomorrow i will try Telnet stuff.

All machines have static IPs and there is no issue with communication between them. I also remember port 8096 is allowed in Win firewall however i use Eset firewall so i need to check if allowed also in Eset...

You should not edit the hosts file in that manner.  It is bound to lead to problems a year from now when the IP address changes.

berrick

Have you run a scan for malware? in case its messing with your browsers?

If you can ping localhost without issue then it should work in a browser. Have you checked to make sure the browser isn't configured to use a proxy (control panel - internet options - connections tab then lan settings)?

berrick

OK, the OP's setup is not to dissimilar to mine so it should work.

The host file is correct and shouldn't be altered. The order of dns host name lookups is

1. host file
  2. DNS server specified in the TCP/IP properties of the nic in your system

So if you put stuff in the host file it will take precedence.

Are you using DHCP for IP addresses or have you statically assigned them on your devices? If statically assigned be sure there are no typo's specifically with the subnet mask as that can put the HTPC and clients on different networks stopping them from talking to each other.

Just to confirm. on the HTPC (where the MB server is installed) if you open a web browser (Mine works with IE 11 and Google) and type the following 

h ttp://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/index.html

or 

http://<IP of your HTPC>:8096/mediabrowser/web/index.html

Do you get anything displayed.

If you have the windows firewall enabled on the HTPC check that the MB server and port 8096 are allowed through. I have the firewall enabled and dont have an issue. To check if there is a problem with port 8096 you can enable telnet on the HTPC. To do this 

1. goto control panel
  2. programs and features
  3. then on left hand side click "turn features on or off"
  4. select telnet client from list

Once install goto a windows command prompt (type cmd in search files and program) and when the window with black background and white writing appears type the following and press enter.

telnet localhost 8096

If all is well you should just get the following displayed

5480d42d525fb_Clipboard01.jpg

If you dont and get "Connecting To <your IP address>...Could not open connection to the host, on port 8096: Connect failed" or similar then the port is either blocked, there is no app listening on that port or the port you are using is incorrect.

Edited by bigjohn

embeathome

I will check in the evening but i am pretty sure the setup of chrome is the same as on the desktop machine where MBS dashboard loads.

Just one question to be sure - if i install MBS on HTPC and MB Theater or MB Classic on desktop PC, will i have possibility to fully control my media library but also control over MBS itself (plugins, design etc etc) through MBT or MBC from desktop PC remotely?

embeathome

It seems there is another problem. When setting up MBS through dashboard, it cannot find any folder (when adding media folders to library), nor local folders in htpc. So I then give a try and connected Freenas server directly to wifi router and changed switches - the one (Netgear) which was connected to desktop PC where MBS worked fine i connected to htpc instead of unmanaged Dlink switch. No changes - it didn't work. No idea now where the problem is :(

Edited by embeathome

embeathome

So i have checked for malware and nothing found. I have been looking for a solution on the web and realized that there are many people having same problem with localhost. So i give up as i think it is enough to edit my local IP address in hosts file to 127.0.0.1 and it should be enough (tested and worked OK). This problem could be DNS problem, netbios and many more and once editing hosts file works, why to spend more time on it?

Edited by embeathome

Angelblue05

I have the same setup as you. The server is on my HTPC and I'm able to access it via localhost.

When I connect using localhost, it shows up as 127.0.0.1 in MBS. If it doesn't work without modifying your host file, then you know something is blocking or conflicting with localhost.

Things you can try:

• You can try to clear your browser cache (both browsers) and restarting the browser. Since your host file looks perfectly fine, it's something you could try.
  • Shot in the dark here, you can try to disable IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) from your local area network card and then test to see if using localhost works. Sometimes, the interaction between IPv4 and IPv6 causes wonky results....
  • After some research, there's a strong chance your Eset smart security is preventing the use of localhost. Is it something you can temporarily disable to test if localhost works? (I don't recall reading if it's something you've tried)

There is something weird going on for sure, don't give up! :)

Edited by Angelblue05

embeathome

@ berrick and all:

- hosts file edited back to untouched version.

- using 127.0.0.1 in browser works OK. 

After initial setup of MBS - language, folders etc (where i wasn't able to see any local nor network folders), i entered to normal MBS setup. Here I was finally able to see all discs, both local and network too. 

@ Angelblue

i tried all you mentioned, in several combinations, IPv6 turned off, Eset turned off etc...so i have no clue what could be wrong. Most probably Windows itself is a bug :) That's what i am always saying - so much possibilities how to solve it but the difficulty of it is unbelievable. And many times it is just a coincidence when solution is found. Its excatly the case of browser cache - i read same localhost issues of other member on other forum and he tried this and it worked for him...that is the problem of Windows, it is not perfect system and therefore people face several issues when they touch it more deeply than average users.

Anyway...i will play arround with both MBS and MBT (MBC) and see...the only issue now is that i cannot connect to MBS through my Samsung 4 using app which i bought. First page of MBS settings shows remote address; when i insert it to app, it tells me that server is unreachable. Same happened on desktop testing machine where i had no issues with localhost. All computers and Samsung phone are in the same network of course at home. I need to play with it more...

• Like 1

Anyway...i will play arround with both MBS and MBT (MBC) and see...the only issue now is that i cannot connect to MBS through my Samsung 4 using app which i bought. First page of MBS settings shows remote address; when i insert it to app, it tells me that server is unreachable. Same happened on desktop testing machine where i had no issues with localhost. All computers and Samsung phone are in the same network of course at home. I need to play with it more...

If all the machines are on your internal network, you should not be using your remote address.  You need to use the local one.  Use either your machine name/ip address or the new Connect feature to figure it out for you.

embeathome

If all the machines are on your internal network, you should not be using your remote address.  You need to use the local one.  Use either your machine name/ip address or the new Connect feature to figure it out for you.

I think I tried it with 192.168.1.30:8096/mediabrowser but it also didn't work. What format of address should be used?

I'm not completely familiar with the new Android client anymore but I imagine just the ip address.  It has a separate field for the port.

But, there also should be much easier ways - like an option to automatically discover your server or use MB Connect.

rerickson

I'm not completely familiar with the new Android client anymore but I imagine just the ip address.  It has a separate field for the port.

But, there also should be much easier ways - like an option to automatically discover your server or use MB Connect.

It was an easy auto discover until the MB Connect update. Ever since that update my Roku and android clients can't find MBS on my local net. I have seen the same complaint in the IOS forum. 

iOS may have issues because that client is not keeping up with the server quite as well but Roku and Android should be fine.  You should address your issues with those in those forums because I know people are using them successfully.