Question about connecting from localhost

embeathome

Unfortunately the log isn't going to help much in this instance because the issue appears to be at the network or browser level so you are not ever talking to the server.

Have you tried a different browser?

embeathome

Hi,

i decided to upgrade from MB2 to MB3 finally, so i tested it on my desktop during the weekend. All worked well on Win7 where i installed both server and MB Theater.

Today i installed latest version of MB3 server to my HTPC and after installation of server, Chrome window poped up trying to load Server dashboard. But it returned blank website with message that "This website is not available". I tried all possible incliding reinstalls,restarts, playing with firewall etc, but no luck. Tried also google search but also no luck.

Could be the issue caused by still installed MB2? I think here in Faq i red that it shouldn't be an issue. Just for my beeing sure and because i expected some issues, i didn't uninstall MB2. It was really a long journey from scratch to have all finetuned with my HTPC so you understand why i didin't uninstall it :) But if MB2 conflicts here, I will uninstall it finally.

For one or other reason i cannot post my log now....

Thanks for ideas.

P.S. HTPC has only 1 SSD installed and really minimum apps to avoid troubles. Media are stored in FreeNas server.

No, MB 2 will not conflict with the server.

It sounds like a firewall issue.  You said you "played with it".  Did you try disabling it entirely?

embeathome

I have just tried IE (11), Mozilla and same result. Turned off firewall and disabled antivirus and no changes.

Could this issue be caused by network component like for example switch or router? MB server is loading localhost website on HTPC where it is installed so it should be loaded no matter what is the network, right? Could it be caused by the fact that there is one server already installed in home network? (desktop PC where i tested MB3).Desktop PC is anyway off while trying all on HTPC.

Could it be caused by some missing component like for example Java, Net Framework, or so?

embeathome

Hi Luke, 100% not. I have Eset smart security and on top of that this computer is HTPC with no browsing on the web etc...

embeathome

I will have a look what's installed but i am prety sure that except ESET smart security i don't have any other secutity/malware installed (including this Windows Malicious stuff).

Couldn't it really be caused by MB2 still installed?

Happy2Play

MB server is loading localhost website on HTPC where it is installed so it should be loaded no matter what is the network, right?

By what you are saying MBS is isolated and no other machine can access it.  Is your media shares on the same machine as MBS?  Are you able to get to those shares from a remote machine? 

abstract

Just upgraded to the latest server just now - windows server release (v3.0.5445.6).

I have the same issue - no access to my dashboard, it simply takes me to log-in screen and whichever account I (successfully) log into it takes me back to the web client, returning to the dashboard address simply repeats the log-in process.

Secondly, the virus warning has returned to the server installer (it had been fixed for the last X number of updates). ZONAR.Heuristic.120, as detected by Symantec/Norton Internet Security.

EDIT: sorry, to be clear, I deactivated Anti-virus in order to install the update. Then have had to set an exclusion for that threat so that media browser server files are not quarantined. 

EDIT 2: Ok, now unable to access any of MB and I also seem to have lost all the icons from my taskbar... not looking good. Is that virus warning legitimate this time?

EDIT 3 - ok, after about 5 full uninstall/install loops I finally have a MB server that I can access. Rather 'pieved' as I have lost the users I had setup, so will have to reconfigure the server and possibly clients, but at least it it working. *wishing I'd taken the red pill and simply ignored that 'update available' notice *

(sorry to be snappy, just the 5 minute update-turned 45 minutes+ means my takeaway is sitting cold beside me rather than being scoffed while I watch that planned movie!!)

Edited by abstract

embeathome

@ Happy2play: MBS is installed on HTPC and on this HTPC dashboard is not accessible. Media files are in other computer in other room. I tested other installation of MBS on other computer(my desktop PC in another room) and all worked just fine. Desktop PC has only different (older) HW but it's on the same network, almost same software setup but much more programs installed. It is connected to a different switch than HTPC but they are connected to same router in the end.So the problem is probably in HTPC or nearby network components...

Edited by embeathome

Have you tried putting the server's IP address in the address bar instead of 'localhost'?  Not sure that will make a difference but worth a shot.

Is loopback disabled on that machines NIC perhaps?

embeathome

To the OP - please post the contents of your hosts file. Even if you are right, it still needs to be verified and ruled out. you can find out where to find the file here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Aside from that the MBS log is clean, startup looks normal. It looks like something is just blocking it. there's a command prompt command you can run to look for port conflicts, but i don't know it off the top of my head. it's unlikely because a port conflict should produce an error message in MBS, but it should still be verified.

Luke and not only Luke, I appreciate your willing to help. Here is my host file attched....

If you remember this command prompt just let me know.

hosts.txt

embeathome

Have you tried putting the server's IP address in the address bar instead of 'localhost'?  Not sure that will make a difference but worth a shot.

Is loopback disabled on that machines NIC perhaps?

Didn't find any loopback settings in NIC settings, nor in advanced settings but entering IP address instead of localhost helped!!!

What setings should i change so it will be done automatically? Could it be because i have primary DNS server 8.8.8.8 (google)? I don't think so because on desktop pc i have the same and there it worked with localhost...

Anyway...many thanks for solving this issue!Just need to know what to do to avoid it in future :)

Okay, so what that tells us is that machine can't resolve 'localhost'.  You could try un-commenting those lines in the hosts file or investigate if there is some piece of software or setting that is blocking access to localhost.

embeathome

Hm...:

- disconnected internet completely - no changes

- forced Eset antivirus check - no virus/malware etc found

- checked all programs installed, nothing special, minimum programs installed, VLC, Net Framework 4.5, MPC-HC, Lav filter, Winrar, Drivers and sowftware related to hardware, Power DVD, Direct vobsub, Eset, Chrome, Mozilla, Irfan View, Java7, Make MKV, MB2, MCM, MS Visual C++ 2005,8,10,12 (some of them installed both x64 and x86 so all x86 uninstalled), GPU-Z

I want to avoid reinstall of Win7. It was really a long journey to get it working as it is now with MB2.

I could try to change switch to which HTPC is connected but i doubt this will help. Could it be caused by network component (switch) if server connects to localhost?

What else should i try?

Yea at least one of those localhost lines should not be commented out. i'm sure there are others here who are more knowledgeable about this than me who can help.

Yea at least one of those localhost lines should not be commented out. i'm sure there are others here who are more knowledgeable about this than me who can help.

Nah, that is normal for those lines to be commented out.

@@embeathome

It really sounds like a firewall to me. Which version of ESET are you running? When you disabled the ESET firewall, did you also make sure the Windows firewall was disabled? Can you show a screen cap of the ESET window where you are disabling the firewall?

embeathome

i have tried all possible but cannot make it running. I uninstalled all unnecessary programs like VLC, winrar, Java and so on. Uninstalled also Net Framework 4.5, but MB3 then required it, so installed again, i updated windows and uninstalled/installed MB3 several times but no changes.

Any other ideas before i reinstall Win? I don't believe this is caused by hardware or switch issue...but of course not 100% sure.

Maybe, if i could try older MB3 version and see, but i cannot find anu older version on the net :(

Just upgraded to the latest server just now - windows server release (v3.0.5445.6).

I have the same issue - no access to my dashboard, it simply takes me to log-in screen and whichever account I (successfully) log into it takes me back to the web client, returning to the dashboard address simply repeats the log-in process.

Secondly, the virus warning has returned to the server installer (it had been fixed for the last X number of updates). ZONAR.Heuristic.120, as detected by Symantec/Norton Internet Security.

EDIT: sorry, to be clear, I deactivated Anti-virus in order to install the update. Then have had to set an exclusion for that threat so that media browser server files are not quarantined. 

EDIT 2: Ok, now unable to access any of MB and I also seem to have lost all the icons from my taskbar... not looking good. Is that virus warning legitimate this time?

EDIT 3 - ok, after about 5 full uninstall/install loops I finally have a MB server that I can access. Rather 'pieved' as I have lost the users I had setup, so will have to reconfigure the server and possibly clients, but at least it it working. *wishing I'd taken the red pill and simply ignored that 'update available' notice *

(sorry to be snappy, just the 5 minute update-turned 45 minutes+ means my takeaway is sitting cold beside me rather than being scoffed while I watch that planned movie!!)

This is not the same as the issue being discussed here. The user here can't even pull up a page. I would start a new topic. Or maybe if you're all set now then I guess what's done is done. We're helpful people though, so next time give us a chance to comment and maybe you can get squared away without having to uninstall anything :)

To the OP - please post the contents of your hosts file. Even if you are right, it still needs to be verified and ruled out. you can find out where to find the file here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Aside from that the MBS log is clean, startup looks normal. It looks like something is just blocking it. there's a command prompt command you can run to look for port conflicts, but i don't know it off the top of my head. it's unlikely because a port conflict should produce an error message in MBS, but it should still be verified.