Where did the local trailers plugin go???

CBers

OK, excuse me if I missed this class, but when did the trailer channel become the defacto? Using the latest Dev build of the server 3.0.5434.23731. Don't get me wrong, I use both local and channel versions of the trailer plugins...but...I liked how the local trailer plugin would put the trailers in same directory as the movie with the -trailer.* affixed. The channel trailer plugin simply offers an odd single folder to save trailers in. These are under a guid. Then each trailer is saved in its own guid named folder which of course, only make sense to a machine. You cannot add the trailer folder it downloads this all into to your library and manually browse these downloaded trailers through Mediabrowser because the names all go by guid... It has to strangely be done through the trailer channel only which can reference the guid to a name. The channel offers no way to tell, which are downloaded and can be played immediately or those which have to consume internet bandwidth. This is a nagging shortcoming. People on satellite internet, my parents, depend that their collection uses the internet as little as possible. It makes it hard for them to use this feature which consumes space on their server.

Is there any way to have the old, better way of trailers? An option called "do it the old, better way" or similar? ^_^ Just so they are saved in the same folder as the movies again?

Upcoming trailers of course can be shoveled into the guid folder. But if the movie exists in my collection, it should not be by guid, it should go in the movie folder it belongs to. Can this behavior be restored? Did the channel incorporate the functionality of the local trailer plugin and is already doing this? There is nothing to indicate how this works.. How does it work now?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ebr,

do you have any idea when this will be available again?  I can't see local trailers in the plugin catalog right now.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm not sure but I thought we were just eliminating the local trailer plug-in and merging the functionality back into the trailers channel...

Happy2Play

Just noticed it has been uninstalled/removed.  I have seen the talks of merging the two but nothing was mentioned in the blog about this removal in latest beta release.

CBers

Sorry, I'm not sure but I thought we were just eliminating the local trailer plug-in and merging the functionality back into the trailers channel...

There is currently no local trailer support.

I don't remember seeing any announcement that it was being pulled.

If the trailers channel is replacing the local trailers plugin, how do you configure the trailers channel to do what the local trailers plugin used to do? There seems to be two options for downloading trailers, one in the plugin config, and one in the channels section.

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 1

Indeed, where is the answer to my original post?

Rather than ponder, why haven't we been told? My original post is the most obvious way trailers should be accomplished. You see by this thread perhaps priority should be given to pleasing users who made use of local trailers? It is these types of decisions that are detracting users from this platform. Why cant the simple things work the way they should? So how is this an evolution of the product? Unfortunately, this is now a misfeature unfortunately. A missed opportunity.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

It hasn't been implemented yet. It will be soon. But we're inevitably going to run into issues where people are going to want the downloading without the channel, and the core team just doesn't have capacity to manage all of that. Our priority is on the channel, but we'll provide the downloading as a convenience since it's easy to build upon what the channel provides. But for a truly independent, configurable, robust trailer downloader, someone else is going to have to step up and build a new plugin for that.

The trailer channel is a step backwards. Everyone already knows this. Yes, if I knew the language and python well enough I would help out. Until then I shall download them outside of mediabrowser and manually place them as I go. You have answered the question though. Not in the fashion I had hoped though..

No hard feelings either. I know you guys are busy and things get strectched thin. Its hard to reply to every post. There are only so many minutes in a day. I was just hoping for a cleaner solution.

• Like 2

Except if you also use the trailer channel then it's a major step forward because the trailer downloading is much more accurate being based on Imdb & Tmdb id's. Before as a separate plugin it was all name-based and we had to deal with endless questions about why trailers weren't getting downloaded. Now it's extremely accurate, but it comes with the requirement of having the channel. Would it be better if it were fully standalone? Sure, but we just don't have the time for that. But maybe some other community member does.

Satellite users on limited bandwidth.

Remote locations without internet, maybe aboard an oil rig.

You need local trailers to support this type of user. I appreciate the time you've taken to reply luke. But this cannot work as a channel in these instances. There is no way to seamlessly integrate it because the channel is a mess sorting wise. Which are in your collection, which aren't? Which are downloaded, which aren't? Are you just supposed to know? Choosing incorrectly and streaming a 205MB HD trailer may cause you to fall over download quotas.

The people on limited bandwidth obtain drives filled with movies/tvshows/metadata without needing to download. So it means more work for me to keep my parents happy. That's all this means.

Edited by speechles

very few of them are actually 205MB. Most are around 40MB, and you can go even lower than that by configuring the channel bandwidth setting. True - we can't cover every single use case out there, but we can try to cover the most common ones and I think we're doing that.

gthrift

Did a server update remove the plugin that was installed on my system?  I had it installed and it was working fine and then now its not there.  If that's the case I"m NOT okay with the developers deciding the plugin should not be installed on my system and removing it.

Edited by gthrift
  • Like 3

Are you on dev, beta or release?

Relevance? What color shirt do you have on? Are your shoes brown?

...but seriously.. What difference does it make in regards to local trailers? About as much as your choice of shirt and shoes did today.

This is about the deprecated plugin known as local trailers and its downloads. Where it is putting new trailers into your collection (or rather..what it _isn't_ doing anymore). Not about the servers ability to play local trailers, this part works fine. It is the aggregation method and placement that are at odds.

Luke gave his opinion, and I appreciate his argument. I am just saddened that these now must be downloaded, named as guid, with no regard for what previous trailers you may have in your collection. It can't sort or tell which you have downloaded or haven't. You will get duplicates, one in the guid folder for the trailer channel and one in the original location where the old local trailer plugin downloaded it to. This seems so counter-intuitive and biased. For people with metered internet this is a slap in the face.

Luke also mentioned, you can't please everybody all the time. But you shouldn't tease people with an amazing feature then snatch it away and replace it with doldrum. You almost feel cheated.

You want to revert the server to a different version? Dev, beta, or release version isn't the argument. Not upgrading isn't the answer. Rationally explaining to developers who maintain the source code and try to help improve the service for others. This is all I am doing.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

What planet are you on @@Vidman? It is irrelevant to the server. I mean the plugin. The plugin section where this was posted. I understand your confusion and need to post your rebuttal but please be more Informed next time. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

radeon

Check out YTrailers from http://www.ballingtons.com/products I never got on with any or the official trailer plugins so i wrote my own from a decent source - YouTube. It looks up the trailer listings from the stored tmdb meta and downloads the vids from YouTube as and when it can.

I use it myself all the time so its regularly updated as and when things change, Might be just what you need.

Shameful self promotion i know, but it works.

Edited by radeon
  • Like 3

Vidman

What planet are you on @@Vidman? It is irrelevant to the server. I mean the plugin. The plugin section where this was posted. I understand your confusion and need to post your rebuttal but please be more Informed next time. Thanks.

maybe i am ill informed ....but you are being quite rude. Explain how it is irrelevant...and i see you are on dev level Edited by Vidman

Redshirt

Let's just nip this in the bud. Don't actually make me do Mod stuff. I have enough work with spammers.

• Like 1

Redshirt, Haw.. There is no one being rude here. The fellow was asking questions about what doesn't matter. I tried humor first, only then did I resort to sarcasm. Not sure what his rationale is concerning server version. This has to do with the plugin. I realize a server update somewhere has wiped out local trailer options and the plugin. This wasn't at all the question I originally pondered..and the sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain.. Is there a local trailer plugin?.. Quoth the Luke, "Nevermore". There was no Ill will intended, why so mad bro? There is no need to rush to close the topic. Other people may want to peruse, and chime in accordingly.

Edited by speechles