Media Player Classic Remote Control for Media Browser {EXPERIMENTAL}

anks

@@KRA, really appreciate the feedback and glad the issue is solved.

For streaming the profile basically does a copy and in my testing works well, glad it is for you too.  The url will be stream.{container} in this instance.

The channels via HLS (m3u8) though is instant on two of my machines but on the third, takes about 30 seconds to start playing, same as yours.  All the app does is pass off a URL to MPC-HC which communicates with MB Server,  I would guess that this is being transcoded?  It would be great to get the input from a core team member, @@Luke for example as this is all a mystery to me.

@@anks Transcoding is not the cause of delay. No transcoding is involved and MPC-HC is reading directly from source it seems. I also upgraded the 1.7.3 32bit to 1.7.7 64bit, but it made no change. 25-30 seconds delay before playback starts. I think it's a MPC-HC issue with HTTP streaming, and not MBS related at all, because I've seen similar behaviour when opening http streams in mpc-hc. But it's interesting that you have 2 clients that don't have the delay. Are those client up to date ? Could it be a regression in MPC-HC or LAV filters ? 

https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/2379

Edited by KRA

@@KRA,  That's interesting, if you look at the properties of the stream is it m3u8 or stream.{container}

On my machines, anything which is a direct stream which will be a url such as stream.avi, stream.mkv plays fine,  you can test this by setting force streaming in the settings page and playing local content.

It's only m38u (HLS) which causes an issue for me:

New Windows 8.1 install, MPC-HC 64bit latest stable -  No delay.

Clean Windows 2012 VM, MPC-HC 64bit nightly -  No delay.

Windows 7, well used install has had various codecs installed over several years, both MPC-HC 32bit and 64bit - 30 seconds delay plus judder during playback.

I'll try and investigate some more later today.

Olywa123

Just wanted to report back after a couple of weeks usage now. Still working great for me, have found no issues (local media only - not using any channels), recent version seems as stable as any of the others and I now use this with 'mpc-be' (prefer the tweaked interface) and madVR for GPU decoding.

Absolutely love it :)

I want to try to give something back so thought I would try out the ''force streaming'' options to test the above mentioned issue. My setup is an older/well used Win7x64 Install, quad core 3.4Ghz AMD Phenom, 16gb Ram, low-mid range GPU (PC was built about 3years ago). All previous codecs were removed and now for video playback I only use MPC-HC 32bit (and MPC-BE 32bit), with only the 32bit LAV Filters installed - all at the latest versions I could find (64bit machine but 32bit software as the 64bit MPC doesn't support madVR). My findings...

stream.mkv & stream.mp4 - start to play instantly (well maybe 1-2 seconds), no problems at all and can skip around the progress bar.

master.m3u8 - takes an extra couple of seconds to start but no more than 5 total. However, while these appear to play ok I did find I could not move the progress bar along if I want to move forward through the movie - once I move the progress bar the video just pauses and never seems to resume. On a couple of occasions after trying different m3us files and waiting 5mins+ after moving the progress bar, MPC stopped responding and had to be killed. 

I must stress - this is not an issue for me as I do not stream but I thought it might be helpful in troubleshooting.

Edited by Olywa123

• 2 months later...
AdrianW

My son and I are both making use of MPC-HC Remote for playback via the WebUI on our individual PC's.

We've both noticed that even though it's running and it's in the tray and coloured green - it often doesn't appear in the WebUI until we bring up the Settings config and hit OK.

I don't know whether this is a problem with the app or with the server - but it would be nice if we could get a fix for this.

Here's a log from MPC-HC remote

And a section of the server log for the time period when I open the settings dialog.

These two lines from the server log are a bit strange considering my TV was off and I was trying to connect the remote app at that time:

2015-02-05 23:21:13.9091 Debug - Dlna: Found matching device profile: Samsung Smart TV
2015-02-05 23:21:13.9091 Info - Dlna: DLNA Session created for [TV] Samsung - PS64F8500

@@anks

Unfortunatly I've run into issues, MCE remote is "crashing" and using 100% cpu. This might be related to Win10.

When the problem occur MBS web gui stops updating progress bar.

I'm seeing error in the log, I don't want to post full log because I don't know if there is sensitive information in it, please tell me if I can check anything. There is a errors in the log, but I don't know if they are related.:

2015-02-05 21:33:41.4136 DEBUG : POST http://192.168.10.205:8096/mediabrowser/Sessions/Playing?format=json
2015-02-05 21:33:41.4648 DEBUG : Received 204 status code after 50,2077 ms from POST: http://192.168.10.205:8096/mediabrowser/Sessions/Playing?format=json
2015-02-05 21:33:41.9688 ERROR : Error in OnMessageReceivedInternal
    After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: N. Path 'Data.NowPlayingItem.ChapterImagesItemId', line 1, position 2145.
    Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParsePostValue()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.Skip()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetExtensionData(JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonReader reader, String memberName, Object o)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject(Object newObject, JsonReader reader, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, String id)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateValueInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value)
       at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.NewtonsoftJsonSerializer.DeserializeFromString[T](String text)
       at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.ApiClient.GetMessageType(String json)
       at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.ApiClient.OnMessageReceivedInternal(String json)
       at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.ApiClient.OnMessageReceived(String json)

2015-02-05 21:45:18.8791 INFO  : Received web socket message: NotificationAdded
2015-02-05 21:45:18.9241 INFO  : Received web socket message: NotificationAdded
2015-02-05 21:45:18.9241 INFO  : Received web socket message: NotificationAdded
2015-02-05 21:45:19.5658 INFO  : Received web socket message: LibraryChanged
2015-02-05 21:48:57.3289 INFO  : Received web socket message: LibraryChanged
2015-02-05 22:01:11.8526 INFO  : Received web socket message: SessionEnded
Edited by KRA

• 2 weeks later...
pmichener1954

Having trouble getting this to work on my htpc.  I have two computers, main computer is set up with the server software and has all of my media files.  Htpc computer has media browser classic software and is connected to server via wireless router using unc.  I can access and play all files fine.  I don't want to use the native wmc media player as it tends to lag and not play hd audio correctly.  I am happy with hpc-hc, but cannot control it with my media center remote.  Installed mpc-hc remote on both computers, server computer shows green good to go icon, htpc stays red.  I made sure windows firewall was not blocking, and the settings on both computers are identical.  Anyone have any ideas why remote computer will not work?

AdrianW

If you're using MBC then you don't need this MPC-HC remote app. This app is for controlling MPC-HC directly from a browser.

What you need to do is configure MBC to use MPC-HC as an external player via the configurator.

Then to control MPC-HC via your remote, you need to configure "keys" in MPC-HC's options menu.

• 2 months later...

I'm having a problem very similar to the one reported by KRA on February 5th. I'm on Windows 8.1, not 10, and I'm not seeing the crash described there, but even though everything appears to be set up correctly including the green tray icon, the transcoding is still happening, and there's no indication MPC-HC is getting control. The similarity is that I see exactly the same log entry as KRA every time I try this.

anks

Sorry guys, I've been  away from computers for several months but I've not abandoned this.  As the code hasn't changed in months, it has to be caused by the update cycles in Emby.  

Is this still useful to people and is anyone using it still successfully?  I'll look into it this week.

AdrianW

Sorry guys, I've been  away from computers for several months but I've not abandoned this.  As the code hasn't changed in months, it has to be caused by the update cycles in Emby.  

Is this still useful to people and is anyone using it still successfully?  I'll look into it this week.

Yes. I use your app on an almost daily basis. I only have a couple of issues with it:

1. Sometimes after restarting emby server (e.g. after a server update), the "chromecast" option will be missing from the list of devices - simply opening and closing the settings for the app will make it appear though.
  2. Sometimes when clicking play, MPC-HC will launch but won't actually play anything - in task manager it has a status of "not responding". If I just kill MPC-HC and then click play again, it will launch and play successfully.

Luke and the team have done some amazing things with the Web UI player - but I hate transcoding with a passion and much prefer using MPC-HC as a player.

xyzzs

I just found this today and it is brilliant, thanks anks.

Previously to play media with mpc-hc from the Emby web server I had to have Emby Theater running in the background set to use an external player which was a cumbersome work around.

Is it possible to set "Select Player" permanently to MPC Remote Chromecast rather than My Device in the web interface so it doesn't need to be changed each time the web interface is launched?

Olywa123

Yup, also still using it regularly here :) I have also experienced both the issues mentioned by AdrianW and follow the same 'workarounds'. Thanks for continuing to support anks :)

overClocked!

I just stumbled upon this and am going to try to start using it as it is exactly what I need. Thanks for continuing to make it available and at least fielding questions about issues.

• 5 months later...
AdrianW

Anyone else having issues with this?

It will no longer stay running on Windows 10. Maybe a Windows update has broken something.

Olywa123

Also on Win 10 and I did have some issues last week where it was running but not picking up the cast or opening MPC (fortunately I had a full backup of my C drive from the week prior which I restored).

It's been running fine for a week and no more issues yet. Will post back if that changes as I use anks app daily.

Suspect it is indeed a Win10 issue, as much as I like the OS it does seem to have a lot of problems and this wasn't the first time I've had to resort to restoring from an image. Fortunately the built-in Windows backup application seems to work well even though they hid it away.

Edited by Olywa123

I'm still an active Emby user and I've been running this app continuously since you posted your issue on my laptop with Win 10.  Also through numerous restarts of the server so over a week now and it's working fine for me.  I'm using release 3.0.5781.1, so it's the latest stable and it reconnects when the server is restarted.

I'm hesitant to update the app unless I can reproduce the issue, and so far I can't.  The API I'm using is pretty old,  but I want to make sure the app works by still emulating ChromeCast.

I'm very happy to Open Source this also if this is  useful?

I also wrote a small app that renames movies, it just took a couple of hours and was based on the work I did with Luke many months ago.  It basically monitors a folder and does a similar job to Filebot but is very lightweight, more basic but uses Emby code (based off Kodi algorithms) and no Java.  I thought this maybe have been included in Auto Organize by now, but it's seems not to have been implemented yet, I've been using it for many months and it's worked impeccably, I'm very happy  to share this, if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

AdrianW

I still have the "MPC Remote for Media Browser" shortcut in my startup folder, but the tray icon no longer appears, even if I run it manually.

The content of the shortcut is below - which I don't understand. So, I don't know where to look for any logs that may exist.

http://jigal.uk/MPCRemote/MPCRemote.application#MPCRemote.application, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2a8b4ae106063a0f, processorArchitecture=msil
Edited by AdrianW

Olywa123

@@AdrianW

I may be way off but you don't run avast on that machine do you? I had it prevent some apps starting with Win 10 a little while back and had to go in and add some exceptions in the settings. I assume you've tried uninstalling anks app and putting it back (sorry if stating the obvious).

Edit:

--

Not sure it will help (maybe just to verify), these are all my paths in relation to the app:

post-5609-0-58525300-1447374899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Olywa123

Olywa123

@@anks - Good to see you are still using emby and around if problems arise :)

I'm no coder so would not be able to do anything with your app but might be nice to open source it in case someone else comes along that wants to. I'd love to see it support the emby native live TV functionality with HDhomerun (currently doesn't work)

I definitely be interested in trying out your movie renamer too.

AdrianW

I may be way off but you don't run avast on that machine do you? I had it prevent some apps starting with Win 10 a little while back and had to go in and add some exceptions in the settings. I assume you've tried uninstalling anks app and putting it back (sorry if stating the obvious).

No, I don't run Avast. I do have Malware Bytes running - but it didn't block it.

I did notice that today it's back in my tray - there was quite a large Windows update yesterday, so perhaps that changed something allowing it to run again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
swindmiller

I just wanted to post a thank you to ANKS for this. This is exactly what I needed!

We use Emby and Media Browser Classic every day but sometimes I don't have Media Browser Classic open and while checking for a movie to watch on my phone I would have to launch Media Browser Classic just for that TV to show up as a device. This way I can launch a movie either way.

Thanks so much!!!