music artist appears twice

Lee

I've got a strange issue where Mary J Blige appears twice in my album artists directory

one points to

\\SERVER\Music\RnB\Mary J. Blige\Mary J Blige  (there is no music in there)

and one with all the albums to

\\SERVER\Movies\4-IBN\artists\Mary J. Blige

I just want the one with the music and the other won't go away.. can't delete it!!

someone help me, it's REALLY irritating!!!!!

BATTLE DONKEY

Just looking at the links in ur post it seems the second is pointing to movies, so is there a movie u have with Mary J. Blige in it? If so u can try deleting her from the cast and then go into the IBN folder and delete from there to see if it resolves the problem.

Better solution would be if the server could merge them all together, so if u looked up a singer who also had some acting parts in movies it would display it also, instead of having 2 separate entries. Its been awhile since I actually checked but I did notice before that the server did not group them together

• Like 1

ginjaninja

lee you are suffering from a long standing bug with mb server.

You have multiple tags being identified by MBServer as the same album artist (by primary/significant identifier  - not sure what that is..but it doesnt matter for now).

Unfortunately when you click on each one of the objects under album artist view, the server does not show show the separate content which precipitated the separate objects..

You just see the same set of content under both..

The solution is to remove the content (temporarily) which you know is precipitating 1 of the mary j blige....rescan..and you you will be left with the content that you didnt realise was mary j. blige under the other.

keep removing content/rescanning until you know all the the content which is being identified as mary j. blige because either you have removed it or it is showing under the last remaining mary. j. blige.

you can then take steps to correct it/match it up to the first set of content.

its probably nothing more than slightly different artist, album artist or possible composer tags...eg ;marj j blige' and 'mary j. blige', in your music which MB3 on some level thinks are the same but not quite the same,

i suggest you use mp3tag with its filter option to find the similar but not identical tags and make identical.

once all are identical  you will only have 1 album artist.

you could have marj j. blige as a person in a film but i dont think that would affect what shows under album artist view.

• Like 1

my ibn folder is in the movies directory that is all.. not sure if she's in any movies??

thanks @@ginjaninja that sounds about right but a massive pain...

tempted to just delete her! only for the wife anyway !!!! lol

@@Luke would it be possible to merge album artists in the server who are "the same" with slightly different iterations??

I've ran everything thru Picard and cannot for the life of me figure out why I've got 2 versions of MJB..??

FrostByte

I've got 3 or 4 artists which do the same with the same albums listed under each duplicate artist. I've tried temporarily removing the culprit album to see if one of the artists would stay and point to something else I missed, but they both disappear.  I've tried deleting both artist folders under ImagesByName\artists and rescanning with no luck.  I've even tried to reload Windows and starting with a new database and I get the same thing

Mine all seem to be albums with Various Artists as the AlbumArtist which cause the problem.  Here are a couple of examples and only one album for each causes the problem. 

Now That's What I Call Music! 50 creates these two artists, but both show up as 2 Chainz in web client

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Chainz

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\2 Chainz

Charlie's Angels Soundtrack creates these two artists, but both show up as MC Hammer in web client

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\MC Hammer

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\M.C. Hammer

Edited by FrostByte

ginjaninja

Its is the same symptom and cause frostbyte.. i would stake my mortgage on it.

2 different id3 tags which are resolved as the same in some sense by mb3.

2 ensure that mb3 has an up to date appreciation/fetch against your tags i would also delete all related ibn folders before rescan..

But the underlying issue is that 2 distinct but probably similar tags are being identified as the same.

There is some evidence that the duplicate issue is related to matched mbzid although not 100% proven.

In any case removing the content (track by track if neccesary) and rescaning will weedle out the offending tag. In practise a visual inspection of all related, sometimes extended, tags in mp3tag will allow identification of the issue.

Ffprobe against the content could be used for extreme low level analysis, but i have never needed to use to identify and correct the similar/duplicate tag.mp3tag has always sufficed.i removed over 100 duplicate artists this way.

Its is the same symptom and cause frostbyte.. i would stake my mortgage on it.

2 different id3 tags which are resolved as the same in some sense by mb3.

2 ensure that mb3 has an up to date appreciation/fetch against your tags i would also delete all related ibn folders before rescan..

But the underlying issue is that 2 distinct but probably similar tags are being identified as the same.

There is some evidence that the duplicate issue is related to matched mbzid although not 100% proven.

In any case removing the content (track by track if neccesary) and rescaning will weedle out the offending tag. In practise a visual inspection of all related, sometimes extended, tags in mp3tag will allow identification of the issue.

Ffprobe against the content could be used for extreme low level analysis, but i have never needed to use to identify and correct the similar/duplicate tag.mp3tag has always sufficed.i removed over 100 duplicate artists this way.

I've just re-tagged every album she's in though??

oh and I deleted all the ibn, album.,artist etc.. basically all the xml and json files to reload/fetch. same result??

ginjaninja

When u edit the remaining mjb is there any informative information..path..mbzid..any albums...anything..or entirely blank..

Filter ibn\artists (by explorer) and id3tags (by mp3tag) using strings such as 'blige' 'mary j' to check you have not missed anything.

Entirely blank but the path points to ibn/artists.

Delete it and next library scan she reappears!!!

I can't even delete the b*tch !!!

Hahahaha

FrostByte

Same here deleting it doesn't help.  Just recreates the other artist on the next scan.  I really don't think for me it's my tags.

Same here deleting it doesn't help. Just recreates the other artist on the next scan. I really don't think for me it's my tags.

Looks like we're out of luck !

Seems no-one's listening...

it's all tags. he already gave you the answer but judging from your responses it looks like you didn't follow up on it. everything is tag driven which is why deleting IBN has no effect because as long as it remains in the song tags it will appear in your MBS library.  I agree MBS does not make it easy to find the offending files but there are plenty of tools out there that do. There are multiple flavors of id3 and you need to set them all, or at the very least, you need to set the ones that ffprobe is using. Maybe that could be a research project for someone here who would like to help out.

FrostByte

It is actually really easy to figure what file is causing the issue in my case.  For all my duplicate artists only one album is listed under both.  So as another test I copied one of the albums I'm having problems with to another computer and installed MBS fresh and scanned with just that one album in my library and nothing else.  I again get duplicate artists on the same artists I had before for the album so I know the exact files causing the problem (just not why).  So I've narrowed it down to being just one file, not multiple.

Just for the record all my music is in wma format if that makes a difference and don't really have different versions of id3 tags (v1, v2, etc) in my files like some mp3 files do.  Every tool that has been mentioned shows me exactly the same thing so I'm at a loss there on how MB would be seeing the two versions of the artist being created from this one file.  The tools just aren't showing me the two spellings of the same artist in the same file as suggested.

Further research shows that the duplicate artists I get are known as two different names in musicbrainz  (i.e. Pharrel Williams and Pharrel) which when I go into the metadata editor are the exact two folders it creates for these artists.  Might be a coincidence, I don't know.  In each case I'm using the one mbz lists the artist under and not the one they are also known as.

Example:

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/149f91ef-1287-46da-9a8e-87fee02f1471  I'm using Pharrel Williams

Anyhow, I've tried anything and everything mentioned in the topic and the others who brought this subject up in the past so I'm still at a loss. 

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Ok, found where you save ffprobe :)  Anyhow, like I mentioned this is the only album in my library on this other computer but it creates two artists named Pharrel Williams (one in the artist folder Pharrel) from this one file.

ffprobe version N-66618-ge079d43 Copyright © 2007-2014 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Oct  4 2014 22:10:14 with gcc 4.9.1 (GCC)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-av
isynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enab
le-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --
enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-lib
modplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrw
b --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinge
r --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --en
able-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis
 --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-
libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
  libavutil      54.  9.100 / 54.  9.100
  libavcodec     56.  2.101 / 56.  2.101
  libavformat    56.  7.104 / 56.  7.104
  libavdevice    56.  1.100 / 56.  1.100
  libavfilter     5.  1.102 /  5.  1.102
  libswscale      3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libswresample   1.  1.100 /  1.  1.100
  libpostproc    53.  1.100 / 53.  1.100
Input #0, asf, from '01 - happy.wma':
  Metadata:
    WMFSDKNeeded    : 0.0.0.0000
    DeviceConformanceTemplate: L3
    WMFSDKVersion   : 12.0.9600.16384
    IsVBR           : 1
    date            : 2014
    WM/Year         : 2014
    WM/Track        : 0
    genre           : Top 40
    title           : Happy
    album_artist    : Various Artists
    album           : Now That's What I Call Music! 50
    track           : 1
    artist          : Pharrell Williams
  Duration: 00:03:51.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 314 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg), 500x500 [sAR 1:1 DAR 1:1],
 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
    Metadata:
      comment         : Cover (front)
    Stream #0:1: Audio: wmav2 (a[1][0][0] / 0x0161), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, fltp,
 313 kb/s

FrostByte

Just a quick look at my regular server I found at least 3 duplicate artists (Pharrel Williams, MC Hammer, and 2 Chainz).  All 3 are only found on various artists albums and only on 1 song.  Did a ffprobe on the 3 songs and the results were all similar to the one above with the artist name only showing up once.  As mentioned earlier I've taken one of those albums and copied it to another computer and loaded MBS and it created two artists folders for the same artist just like on my other server.  With just the one album I eliminated the possibility there is another album somewhere with the artist in it spelled the other way.

When I look on mbz I see they have some albums listed under those artists with the artist name spelled the way they have the artist listed and other albums the way they are also known as which are the same 2 artist folders MBS created for me.  Now, when you go to the albums on mbz and click on for instance the artist Pharrel Williams or Pharrel depending on which album you choose they both redirect you to the artist Pharrel Williams.  So, it would seem they are linked in mbz as they should be.  When you look at MBS they both share the same mbz id also.  Everything is the same on MB for both artists except the folder which MB creates in its library

Link to Pharrel Williams on mbz with albums using both spellings of the artist name

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/149f91ef-1287-46da-9a8e-87fee02f1471

Is it possible that mbz is the one passing back both spellings of the artist name since they have albums listed with both spellings sharing the same mbz id and then MBS creates the 2 folders based on that?  Like mentioned this only happens for me with various artists albums, but that may also be just because for the music I typically listen to there isn't but one spelling of the artist name on the albums mbz has listed.

ginjaninja

Just a quick look at my regular server I found at least 3 duplicate artists (Pharrel Williams, MC Hammer, and 2 Chainz). All 3 are only found on various artists albums and only on 1 song. Did a ffprobe on the 3 songs and the results were all similar to the one above with the artist name only showing up once. As mentioned earlier I've taken one of those albums and copied it to another computer and loaded MBS and it created two artists folders for the same artist just like on my other server. With just the one album I eliminated the possibility there is another album somewhere with the artist in it spelled the other way.

When I look on mbz I see they have some albums listed under those artists with the artist name spelled the way they have the artist listed and other albums the way they are also known as which are the same 2 artist folders MBS created for me. Now, when you go to the albums on mbz and click on for instance the artist Pharrel Williams or Pharrel depending on which album you choose they both redirect you to the artist Pharrel Williams. So, it would seem they are linked in mbz as they should be. When you look at MBS they both share the same mbz id also. Everything is the same on MB for both artists except the folder which MB creates in its library

Link to Pharrel Williams on mbz with albums using both spellings of the artist name

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/149f91ef-1287-46da-9a8e-87fee02f1471

Is it possible that mbz is the one passing back both spellings of the artist name since they have albums listed with both spellings sharing the same mbz id and then MBS creates the 2 folders based on that? Like mentioned this only happens for me with various artists albums, but that may also be just because for the music I typically listen to there isn't but one spelling of the artist name on the albums mbz has listed.

The fact that u can reproduce the issue with a single album / fresh install is unusual i must admit.

can you reproduce the issue with a single file?

perhaps post that single file so we can review..

i would have expected ffprobe to show the issue.

Keep persevering..i really want to get to the bottom of it.

Do check the extended tags (if wma has them)

Also try converting file to mp3 to confirm wether format is relevant.

I have never used wma

it's all tags. he already gave you the answer but judging from your responses it looks like you didn't follow up on it. everything is tag driven which is why deleting IBN has no effect because as long as it remains in the song tags it will appear in your MBS library.  I agree MBS does not make it easy to find the offending files but there are plenty of tools out there that do. There are multiple flavors of id3 and you need to set them all, or at the very least, you need to set the ones that ffprobe is using. Maybe that could be a research project for someone here who would like to help out.

I deleted EVERY file she was on/in and she still showed up with no songs or albums... so yes @@Luke I did read, I also had re-tagged everything she was in with picard and recoded one of the albums with foobar which wasn't playing nice in picard.

I've since moved some stuff about trying to figure this out and I think the server is keeping remnants of a previous scan somewhere and when an artist is gone it doesn't seem to delete.

I just retagged rapper the game as one of the albums was just "game" so I had two artists named differently for the same guy.

now it's tagged correctly but game still shows up. that doesn't make sense to me...

I give up I suppose two mjb's isn't all that bad...

just going to slap the wife for making me put that sh*t on the server!!

FrostByte

Thanks ginjaninja,

Wma files do not have the different versions of id3 tags like mp3 files do (in fact I believe they don't even use id3 but their own though compatible format).  I ran ffprobe on all tracks in this one various artists album and the only one that shows Pharrel Williams as the artist is the first track which is correct for the album Now That's What I Call Music! 50 (US version) and same as what the tag editors show me. 

I'll try testing again with just the one track in my library, but if ffprobe doesn't extract the second spelling of the artist in any of the tracks then there really is only one place I can think MB can be getting passed that other spelling and that is musicbrainz.  Mbz is the only place I see that has this other spelling as it lists albums under the artist with both spellings.

These are the two folders MB creates which matches the two spellings in mbz, both under the same artist and linked together under the same mbz id.  On my main server it does the same for every artist which is duplicated

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Pharrell

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Pharrell Williams

Here is an example of another duplicated artist created from the various artists album (Charlie's Angles Full Throttle) on my main server.  This artist also has albums listed with both spellings on the musicbrainz site though I only have the one album/song with this artist in my library.

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\MC Hammer

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\M.C. Hammer

I really believe mbz must be passing these two spellings to MB for every duplicate artist I have, but will keep trying other things including converting tracks to mp3.  I'm probably the only one using wma files so just guessing this doesn't apply to the others having the issue. 

Shoot, Luke can sign into my one computer and check himself if he wants or just grab the files.  Well... as long as he doesn't tell me he is grabbing them so I can claim ignorance :)

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1