DLNA support of external subtitles

Serios
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I'm really really happy this is resolved, now at last can get rid of Serviio, since using it only to play movies with subtitles and quite annoys me as is kind of stiff and never liked it in first place :)

It was quite hard since I'm not ever close to c# developing, but I'm php developer and years training in code logic gives me some advantage :) as you see from my pity tries for debugging :)

I will refine the dlna profile a bit, and then will posted in in Dlna section to be available for other users, and if dev team want to used it, to officially support LG WebOS series tv's. Since according to manufacturer there are 5 mil copies sold for 2014, and this dlna profile is applicable for all tv's with this OS.

Thanks again Luke :)

• Like 1

Ok , so I tried out the latest dev build Version 3.0.5493.2287 and it is an improvement in one way. With a DLNA profile with a subtitle profile for SRT I can now enjoy subtitles without transcoding on my LG 55LA640V  :D

On the downside , .sub subtitles does not play even when added to the DLNA profile and transcoding kicks in but the transcoding log is full of rows like this one :

sub2video: rectangle overflowing
frame=  630 fps=209 q=-1.0 size=   24249kB time=00:00:26.49 bitrate=7498.9kbits/s    
frame=  742 fps=211 q=-1.0 size=   29231kB time=00:00:31.22 bitrate=7668.5kbits/s    
frame=  854 fps=212 q=-1.0 size=   33991kB time=00:00:35.83 bitrate=7770.5kbits/s    

Removing all subtitle profiles from DLNA also doesn't behave as expected , when play a media that has a srt subtitle not transcoding is happening and therefore no subtiles are displayed over DLNA, so the update must have broken someting.
Edited by HomerS

There was a problem with .sub files even before these changes, Luke made. I don't remember in which post particularly but have memories, that some users mention it.

Edited by Serios

There was a problem with .sub files even before these changes, Luke made. I don't remember in which post particularly but have memories, that some users mention it.

Yes I know that transcoding with .sub wasn't working before but with this latest release I can't get transcoding to work with .srt as transcoding never kicks in, not that I need it now when direct play works but not everyone have a dlna device capable of subtitles.

Does .sub subtitles work with your LG WebOS tv now ?   I have an older LG that is supposed to support .sub but when I add that to my DLNA profile it still gets transcoded and as you know that doesn't work.

Yes I know that transcoding with .sub wasn't working before but with this latest release I can't get transcoding to work with .srt as transcoding never kicks in, not that I need it now when direct play works but not everyone have a dlna device capable of subtitles.

Does .sub subtitles work with your LG WebOS tv now ?   I have an older LG that is supposed to support .sub but when I add that to my DLNA profile it still gets transcoded and as you know that doesn't work.

I can confirm, that with subtitle profiles removed, still transcoding never kicks in, even if user profile have subtitle mode set to "always play subtitles".

Also items with .sub files, triggers transcoding even if .sub is defined in subtitle profiles and transcoding fails.

Another thing i noticed is that MB suddenly requires subtitles files to be with UTF8 encoding. And if they are not in transcode log:

Invalid UTF-8 in decoded subtitles text; maybe missing -sub_charenc option
  • Like 1

I can confirm, that with subtitle profiles removed, still transcoding never kicks in, even if user profile have subtitle mode set to "always play subtitles".

Thanks for confirming , I hope luke can un-break this again before it goes to beta.

The other issue with .srt and  invalid UTF-8 is not new to me , this has been an issue since subtitles support was introduced with transcoding and it can prove to be hard to solve as it is hard to detect the encoding of a text file in a reliable way.

Also items with .sub files, triggers transcoding even if .sub is defined in subtitle profiles and transcoding fails.

This is good news at least for me , that means that whatever changes luke made to get .srt  subtiltes handled could be done for .sub as well as long as the DLNA profile supports it.

rodrigoxm49

Where you guys are making these changes? No subtitles on DLNA here too (2012 LG TV or 2013 Philips TV).

Edited by rodrigoxm49

• 1 year later...
vibhav.mulay

Sorry for bumping up the old thread, but the external subtitles are still not working on DLNA - Philips HTS3564

I currently have the latest dev build - 3.0.5901.1320

I have the DLNA profile configured correctly. I can see the subtitles in the Web UI as external. Also if I play in the browser, the subtitles do show up.

Any idea why this is happening?

Edited by vibhav.mulay

Sorry for bumping up the old thread, but the external subtitles are still not working on DLNA - Philips HTS3564

I currently have the latest dev build - 3.0.5901.1320

I have the DLNA profile configured correctly. I can see the subtitles in the Web UI as external. Also if I play in the browser, the subtitles do show up.

Any idea why this is happening?

Hi there, welcome. In order to best help you, please see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.