skept

I have limited upload bandwidth and have a couple of users that stream content through the web interface.

I notice that sometimes they are streaming at 2Mbps or higher and complain of stuttering.

I walk them through lowering the video quality and they can then play without issue again.

Is there a way to implement a max bandwidth per user so they can choose to lower the stream bandwidth but could not go over say a 1Mbps limit.

Even if this was global so that nobody streaming through the web interface could go over a certain limit that would be good.

This is only a problem when I have more than one person playing at a time but it would keep everybody happy for longer and allow me to do more with the little that I have.

• Like 4

I believe that will only govern the web client and is related to the device actually in use at that time.

I just recently posted a question about this in the developers area but never turned it into a feature request. You get a like cause I'm after this as well. @@jamesplay yes those are the areas you can send a user to adjust per each device/browser that they login at but it's per device. I'm in bandwidth situation here where my upload is not very good, and to prevent buffering for the user and maxing out my upload over here I would love to be able to set @@MrWebsmith to let's say 480p-720k for his starting bandwidth on any device he connects from to my server.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi.

Is there any update on this issue because it'd be quite interesting to set a per user limit. Maybe I just didn't find the right thread? Because it seems quite empty in here.

• 4 weeks later...
itsrumsey

Administrative control over this is a good idea. We will consider it for a future release.

Really would like this, for those of us with only 10Mbps or so upstream hosting multiple streams can become a real problem when one guy thinks he needs 8Mbps 720p to his Android client...

Edited by itsrumsey

pottersmash

I can definitely say this feature would be the thing that makes me use MB over Plex, since both operate the exact same right now letting clients set bandwidth to whatever they want.  I only have 5mb upload and would love to be able to set max bandwidth per user so everyone can have a great experience.

Administrative control over this is a good idea. We will consider it for a future release.

Hey, just an idea.

With the release of Emby you could include some limits.

Actually had someone try to stream a file at 4mb... that went well.