Image Cache and Storage Problems

GothsterC
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

GothsterC

Hello,

I am running the latest Emby on a Windows Media PC with a small storage stick.  I always had enough storage space until I foolishly enabled the option to "Keep a cached copy of images in the server's metadata folder" for my Movie library.  I unchecked that but I am still using a lot of space.  Where are those cached copies kept and how can I clean that up to get the space back.  BTW, I also moved my cache directory to a separate drive so that freed up a few GB.  The folder using up the most space is the Emby-Server/metadata/library at 145 GB and I have only a 256 GB stick.  I know I will have to get a bigger one eventually but is there any way to clean this directory up or move it elsewhere?

Thanks.

Happy2Play

Yes I believe that is the folder but not sure how easy it would be to purge this after disabling the library setting.

@LukeI will guess the database will point to the cached images in /metadata/library when this option gets enabled, correct? 

As this is the default for when you don''t save with media.

GothsterC

I'm performing a full metadata refresh (but without replacing the existing images-I keep them all in the media folders) and the library folder is slowly getting smaller.  It's now down to 142 GB.  I still have a way to go, so maybe this is all that needs to be done.  I will report back when it's done.

Under the server metadata folder, do a recursive search for any directories named imagecache and thumbnailcache and delete those.

• Thanks 1

GothsterC

Thanks.  I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  For instance, I have this directory:

...\metadata\library\00\00<many chars>\imagecache

I've noticed that in those similar directories without imagecache, there is a single file called poster.jpg for the movie poster in the parent directory.  If I remove the entire imagecache directory, will the poster.jpg in the parent directory be regenerated?  Do I need to do a metadata refresh?  Or should I copy the poster.jpg to the parent directory before deleting imagecache?

Also, I should only remove the imagecache and thumbnailcache, not the parent directory, correct?

Thanks.

• Solution

only remove the imagecache and thumbnailcache

Only these and nothing else.

GothsterC

Thank you.  That worked!  I have the storage space back now and everything appears to be working even though the folders containing imagecache are now empty.

• Thanks 1