timezone for parental controls set to user and not system

nervous_boyd

nervous_boyd

The web UI for configuring parental control rules is presented in the system time and not the local time of the logged in user. This is confusing and can present problems if the user is not in the same timezone of the server.

I would guess it should be a relatively simple adjustment in the Javascript(?) to detect the timezone of the browser and make the proper adjustments in the UI.

The web UI for configuring parental control rules is presented in the system time and not the local time of the logged in user.

Hi, actually no, the configuration screen is not based on any time zone and is listed generically from 12am to 12pm for each day.

However it is enforced on the server, and yes this happens based on the server time zone. 

nervous_boyd

We may be talking past each other. Let me restate...

In order to have the parental controls enforced in the hours I expect (the hours where I sit) I must translate the time from the TZ of the server (in k8s deployments, often a non-changeable UTC). A per-account setting of preferred TZ or even having the web app detect the TZ of the admin user could translate the admin's local time to the TZ on the server and smooth out that UX quite a bit.

Parental controls are the key feature which resulted in my trying Premiere. Backups are a distant 2nd.

• 4 weeks later...

OK @nervous_boydI see what you're saying but it's not that simple. The enforcement is configured on the server, therefore it might make more sense to most admins if the time zone were based on that.

I understand there's always an exception to the rule and some may need different behavior, and so more options to control this are always possible for future updates. Thanks.

crusher11
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

The enforcement is configured on the server, therefore it might make more sense to most admins if the time zone were based on that.

I guarantee this is not true.

nervous_boyd
1 hour ago, Luke said:

OK @nervous_boydI see what you're saying but it's not that simple. The enforcement is configured on the server, therefore it might make more sense to most admins if the time zone were based on that.

I understand there's always an exception to the rule and some may need different behavior, and so more options to control this are always possible for future updates. Thanks.

The backed and even the front-end can keep track of time in UTC but it should be **presented** to the end-user in their local TZ. MVC.

In the end it's not relevant to me as I found the parental controls to be insufficient for our needs even if the time handling issue were resolved.

sydlexius
On 3/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, Luke said:

Perhaps there can be a radio button/toggle to switch it between server time and "local endpoint time".  Perhaps internally time restrictions can be stored in UTC normalized to GMT, with the former option changing the TZ offset to the server's offset, and the latter to the endpoint's?