MBC with an Extender

swhitmore

swhitmore

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully got MBC working with an extender. It works fine for me, but is stuck on the default theme. I've tried copying the MBCommonXML.config with with Scott-MediabrowserXML.config with no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks heaps.

Edit: Actually I just tried to watch something, I'm getting the error "WARNING cannot directly access media. Will attempt to stream. Use UNC paths on server for direct playback.

Edited by swhitmore

Yeah, I think lots of folks are using extenders.  Why are you stuck in the default theme?  You just change themes from the config page.

On the playback warning - probably a permissions issue for the extender user account.

swhitmore

It was already on Neo in the config page, should I try changing it, then changing it back?

It was already on Neo in the config page, should I try changing it, then changing it back?

The config says you are in Neo and you're not??

swhitmore

The config says you are in Neo and you're not??

Yeah, only on the extender though.

Maybe the extender user is missing some access rights to the programdata folder?  Can I see a mbc log from an extender session please?

swhitmore

Yeah, I'm at work now. I'll see if I get find one from yesterday, otherwise I'll grab one when I get home. Thanks.

swhitmore

This is the log where the "Warning,,Unable to directly access" on the extender. I had a quick look at the rest of the log, it looks like it is actually trying to use Neo. I did notice this though:

*** Theme in use is: Default

http://pastebin.com/wZWntrAw

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

Ok, I managed to get it working. I deleted the two .config files in the 'Mcx1-MEDIAPC' user folder. I let MBC rebuild them when run on the extender and it worked. I was then able to tweak the .config file for auto login etc. I also got the video streaming working by giving 'Everyone' read access to my WHS shared folders. 

The issue I'm having now is with the stream. I tried 2 videos. One had a really messed up aspect ratio (it was taller than it was long). The other was really poor quality. I've added the log below. Any chance you can have a look? I can't seem to find the ffmpeg log any more. Are we still doing that?

MBClassic-211020134f1ef97e1ac34cc5a364a12ecb0ef86d.log

There is no ffmpeg log because we don't stream, we play the content directly.  That's why you had to give rights to the media folders.

As for the display issues.  The aspect one is the zoom setting in the WMC player.  Hit the info button or right (or maybe its up) arrow while playing something and you'll get a menu.

The quality one is either the source or the codecs.

swhitmore

Are you sure it's not streaming on the extender? I get the 'Buffering' notification come up for a second before it starts. The files play fine on the HTPC. I'll check the supported codes.

Yeah, I'm sure.  It will only attempt to stream if it cannot access the files directly and I can see from your log that wasn't a problem.

JeremyFr79

What codec's or codec packs are you using?? I had a similar quality issue on mine, I use Shark's Pack, needless to say if you go into sharks settings and set it for "alternate extenders" it fix the issue.

swhitmore

I'm an idiot. I just realised that you can use transcode 360 with MBC...  :huh:

That will probably solve my issues. I'll set it up tonight.

david3663

Glad you got it sorted. The shark007 pack just includes divx mkv splitter that supports 360 playback. I have never been able to get it to work well with only lav filters and i use them on my pc.So with shark007 i can enable the divx splitter and 360 playback is smooth and on my pc lav works fine with mpc-hc.