Unable to login to remote server

fallenczar
Go to solution Solved by fallenczar,

fallenczar

Hi,

i am having a peculiar problem with my current setup and was hoping to get some help with it. This problem in present in all emby clients that i have tried (android, windows, webapp)

My setup is as follows -

1. emby running on UNRAID server - this is on my local network and i usually access this without https (with its ip) as i have not configured a ssl  certificate for local access. i can not connect to this servers public domin name on my local network as my router does not support loopback and i need to use a vpn to circumvent this.

2. emby running on OpenMediaVault server - this is a remote server that i would like to access via its public domain name. i can do so if i go to its domain directy emby.example.com. This server is behind a CG NAT and is connected to a VPS via tailscale network. I am running nginxproxymanager on the vps to reverse proxy this and as stated i can connect to the domian directly.

3. i cant use https://app.emby.media to access my local network hence i use http://app.emby.media

4. when i first set up remote server on http://app.emby.media , i can connect to it and play my media without any problem. however when i logout or change servers the webapp does not let me connect to the remote server again. anytime i clink on the remote server to login it instead opens the local servers login page. the only way i can login to my remote server again is if i again add it as a new server.

5. the same problem exist across emby apps.

emby0.thumb.jpg.de04510e2533d6caaf7f7b5a77dc9a09.jpg

Recording2024-02-15022032-ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Recording2024-02-15024512-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Edited by fallenczar
removed identifiable information

HI, I don't quite understand the problem. Are you not able to sign in?

fallenczar

if you see the last two gifs i attached. clicking on OMV opens the sign in page for UNRAID. the only way to sign in to OMV is to add it again

The gif shows you going the sign in screen and then clicking back, so that's what I don't understand. It doesn't appear you attempted to sign in.

darkassassin07

It shows him going to the select server screen, clicking on the server labeled 'OMV' and instead being brought to 'sign in to 'UNRAID' , the name of the other server that's listed.

The OMV server option doesn't bring him to the OMV server. It brings him to the other server linked to connect.

Happy2Play

Does the servers show the correct connection information? Either under server server name or clicking view server info from card menu.

I would unlink there connect user and relink them on both servers.

But am unable to reproduce as each server connects to their remote location.

• Solution
fallenczar
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Does the servers show the correct connection information? Either under server server name or clicking view server info from card menu.

Thanks - although on initial inspection the information was correct (Remote (WAN) address was pointing towards the correct remote address), i noticed that Last connection to information pointed to the local ip address.

i think i have figured out what was going on and have fixed my issue.

Both my servers ( which are geographically apart-  UNRAID is the local server and OMV is the remote server) share the same LAN IP address (10.0.0.50) on there respective networks (I did this to make it easier for me to troubleshoot and to use the same bookmars in the browser). Additionally, i was using the default port for both of them. It seems to me that when i connect to the remote server (OMV) it grabs the In-Home (LAN) network IP from it. When i reconnect to it ( say restarting the app or when i click change server) it first tries this LAN IP - and as this was identical to my local server IP (UNRAID), it instead connected to my local server.

I have fixed this issue by changing the ports on one of my server.

Although i understand that my case could be an edge case, i wonder if the code to recognize when to use remote ip and when to use LAN IP could be improved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fallenczar

PSA : if you plan to connect to a local and a remote server, please make sure there LAN IP is not identical

• Thanks 1