Emby does not fetch artwork from The Movie Database

bsapi

bsapi

Hello, the subject describes the error in nutshell. I have Emby 4.8.1.0 running on Rocky Linux 8.9.

Library Setting is:

Preferred metadata download language: English

I use only TheMovieDB as source of Art Work (series, season, episode). It generally works. But ... let me describe this via an example.

These are the backdrops on the website: AWF Backdrops

(No Language is fine because TMDB explains it should be if there is no text on the picture.)

If I browse the media object in Emby for "Edit Images" I find the Backdrops (which is empty) I can find the magnifier icon, I click on it (Source: ALL and All languages: Enabled) but it does not fetch anything. I don't understand what I do wrong.

/var/lib/emby/logs/embyserver.txt does not report any issue.

Any suggestion ?

Thx in advance.

• Agree 1

mallison01

I have noticed this also, i run on windows server 2022 latest stable. I have noticed several new items added that artwork is not being fetched. Its looks like emby is grabbing everything except the primary image for me. I have to go in and manual edit the images and search for the primary and add it.

• Agree 1

bsapi
23 minutes ago, bsapi said:

Hello, the subject describes the error in nutshell. I have Emby 4.8.1.0 running on Rocky Linux 8.9.

Library Setting is:

I use only TheMovieDB as source of Art Work (series, season, episode). It generally works. But ... let me describe this via an example.

(No Language is fine because TMDB explains it should be if there is no text on the picture.)

If I browse the media object in Emby for "Edit Images" I find the Backdrops (which is empty) I can find the magnifier icon, I click on it (Source: ALL and All languages: Enabled) but it does not fetch anything. I don't understand what I do wrong.

Any suggestion ?

Thx in advance.

Well. Meanwhile I waited for the answer I worked myself on it as well.

What did I do ? If I "identify" manually an entity usually use only the number coming from the URL of themoviedb.com such like "244021".

This time, because I had no better idea, I copied the full identifier such like "244021-animated-world-faiths".

I went back to the "Edit Image" menu and images started to download and became browsable.

I have no clue why.

bsapi
14 minutes ago, mallison01 said:

I have noticed this also, i run on windows server 2022 latest stable. I have noticed several new items added that artwork is not being fetched. Its looks like emby is grabbing everything except the primary image for me. I have to go in and manual edit the images and search for the primary and add it.

Manual work indeed. The new thing was it did not work with the simple number based id. I had to copy the full id from the URL.

I cannot explain more precisely because that was all that I did. Somebody perhaps will explain from the community...

Happy2Play

@Lukewill have to comment but see the same on my test on this Show.  But the cached provider metadata shows them.

"backdrops": [{
                "aspect_ratio": 1.78,
                "file_path": "/lhFm5UKeXT5VKlPg6C1lM0u8TO2.jpg",
                "height": 1000,
                "iso_639_1": "en",
                "vote_average": 0,
                "vote_count": 0,
                "width": 1780
            }, {
                "file_path": "/go4Vo1hPiqXjITookVYIpGQ6Q9e.jpg",
            }, {
                "file_path": "/rTYakVlb6B0LBNdEjSJqh9JFJaF.jpg",
            }
        ],

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Actually, I see the issue as this use to be language images and would appear to have been changed to no language images but the api has not updated to reflect that.

Backdrops will no longer be display language images.

I went to the \cache\tmdb-tv\244021 and opened the series-alllang.json and removed the "iso_639_1": "en", and now they appear in the UI.

image.png.0a55f465f73b3274bbdb82596d870bd0.png

Since the changelog for that show shows it was changed today, I would expect up to 24hrs for the api to update.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Actually, I see the issue as this use to be language images and would appear to have been changed to no language images but the api has not updated to reflect that.

Backdrops will no longer be display language images.

I went to the \cache\tmdb-tv\244021 and opened the series-alllang.json and removed the "iso_639_1": "en", and now they appear in the UI.

image.png.0a55f465f73b3274bbdb82596d870bd0.png

Since the changelog for that show shows it was changed today, I would expect up to 24hrs for the api to update.

Yes that sounds about right. Thanks for the investigation.

bsapi

I am testing the "solution" but I tend to say it has nothing to do with using "full id" instead of number id.

May I have a last question here ? 

I am standing currently in the /var/lib/emby/cache/tmdb-tv directory. What if I delete a folder from here ? I mean I see it harmless from system perspective but what is the purpose and how I can influence the metadata ? (Yeah sorry if the question makes no sense but fetching images from tmdb works quite hectic at me.)

I deleted "iso_639_1:en" from series-alllang.json but image still does not come down. (At this point I think I am doing it wrong because I do not understand well the concept.)

bsapi

This is weird. I have another show which works without any issue.

I started the show, I took a screenshot, I uploaded to the tmdb. I switched back to emby, clicked to "Edit Image" and the backdrop was there immediately. In 1 minute.

14 minutes ago, bsapi said:

I am testing the "solution" but I tend to say it has nothing to do with using "full id" instead of number id.

May I have a last question here ? 

I am standing currently in the /var/lib/emby/cache/tmdb-tv directory. What if I delete a folder from here ? I mean I see it harmless from system perspective but what is the purpose and how I can influence the metadata ? (Yeah sorry if the question makes no sense but fetching images from tmdb works quite hectic at me.)

I deleted "iso_639_1:en" from series-alllang.json but image still does not come down. (At this point I think I am doing it wrong because I do not understand well the concept.)

You can delete those folders anytime and the server will recover from that.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

I just Refreshed the metadata on the show and image appear correctly now with no language code.

• Thanks 1

bsapi

Sorry to bother you with my stupid cases but something still not kosher here.

It is a little bit offtopic here but it's loosely connecting. I completely purged metadata of the show. Deleted the related cache folder. Rebooted Emby Service.

There was a naked folder with its directory name.

I picked up the ID number from tmdb's URL, identified the show in emby and it came back immediately with relevant information. But ...

This Season_01 is used only in my directory structure (I use this format everywhere instead of space or dot and works perfectly) but this time it is just there and coming from nowhere.

TMDB webpage does not use this reference (not English nor Hungarian) it exists only on my storage system.

How it is possible that metadata works with every details but this still picked up from the directory structure and not for every TV show but only for this.

image.png.5b24c2ee423ef7b25a87aa909dcff1cc.png

Thx for your help.

bsapi
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, please show the complete screenshot. Thanks.

Hello, I attach an image about my emby and my structure and the tmdb page.

It can be seen there is "Season 1" on the web page but "Season_01" in Emby and on my storage.

emby_error_report_sync_issue.jpg

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Playare you able to reproduce?

No not seeing an issue in my test.

image.png.08adb6ac2b85b402993f22bc820770f3.png

image.png.31e38b329e513d508f821f991b7141ae.png

• Thanks 2

bsapi

Hello,

I see what is the problem. (Obviously it is written in the documentation so I am not complaining about just telling.)

I use different format of naming: /mnt/MEDIA/TV/Animated_World_Faiths_1998/Season_01/S01E01_Moses_and_the_Passover_Meal.mkv

(I use "01" format because of auto sort. If there are more than 10 seasons folders start with "1" goes up on the folder list.)

I use underscore (_) everywhere. I don't use dots, spaces or parenthesis (despite of the Emby documentation).

(Reason: easier to maintain from console on Linux.)

How did I test ?

I modified the naming to this: /mnt/MEDIA/TV/Animated_World_Faiths_1998/Season_1

and it started to work.

image.png.ee9dac8c10efab8f0e6b04f506627a3b.png

Thank you for your valuable time to investigate this issue despite it was documented well in Emby KB. (You're rock guys.)

bsapi

May I summ up the findings? Please modify and validate if it is necessary.

• Emby does not tolerate well the different namings. It works sometimes that pretends everything is fine but if user's system deviates from the standard anomalies could happen. (Recommendation: Use standard naming to avoid anomailies.)
  • The Movie DB (tmdb) needs time to publish changes on its database. Time is various it can be up to 24 hours until changes are available and can be seen in e.g. emby.

Did I miss something as conclusion ?

• Agree 1

McMovies
1 hour ago, mshaf said:

I have this problem since updating to 4.8.1.0

New movies do not get artwork and I have to manully 'identify' them for it to work.

same problem, in version 4.7.x as well. you can see my thread in this. the tmdb plugin is broken for some time now. 
I have even  taken this issue with TMDB admin team (there if they had issue in their API), they confirmed to me all good from their end.

IN the meantime, i have figured out a trick, after adding new media do a scan library, then go to tmdb copy the movie/TV code, and edit the metadata manually and paste movie/tv code in tmdb section. 
Now go again scan library . all metadata/images will be grab as expected.  Its a manual-work until the plugin is fixed. 

If you are facing issue with just images, grab images from fanart - that is the best. 

Edited by McMovies
  • Like 1

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, bsapi said:

Hello,

I see what is the problem. (Obviously it is written in the documentation so I am not complaining about just telling.)

I use different format of naming: /mnt/MEDIA/TV/Animated_World_Faiths_1998/Season_01/S01E01_Moses_and_the_Passover_Meal.mkv

(I use "01" format because of auto sort. If there are more than 10 seasons folders start with "1" goes up on the folder list.)

I use underscore (_) everywhere. I don't use dots, spaces or parenthesis (despite of the Emby documentation).

(Reason: easier to maintain from console on Linux.)

How did I test ?

I modified the naming to this: /mnt/MEDIA/TV/Animated_World_Faiths_1998/Season_1

and it started to work.

image.png.ee9dac8c10efab8f0e6b04f506627a3b.png

Thank you for your valuable time to investigate this issue despite it was documented well in Emby KB. (You're rock guys.)

I can only guess something from old database as testing with Season_01 still gave the correct result.

So I guess the question would does it happen on a new Show and your naming scheme?

Edited by Happy2Play

This is supported and shouldn't be a problem.

mallison01
On 2/14/2024 at 2:00 PM, bsapi said:

Library Setting is:

Any suggestion ?

Thx in advance.

Back to the original question and issue, i will repost it here in case someone else sees this.

"I changed the ranked order of the image fetcher settings in the library, either i moved it at some point or it was changed. I moved fanart to the top of the list and ran the refresh metadata and replace all images and it grabbed the images. I will have to wait and see if this works as a new movie is added."

My issue with this seems to have gone away after i reordered the image fetcher settings as i mentioned and i have had new movies and series added just fine.

bsapi
On 2/26/2024 at 3:34 PM, mallison01 said:

Back to the original question and issue, i will repost it here in case someone else sees this.

"I changed the ranked order of the image fetcher settings in the library, either i moved it at some point or it was changed. I moved fanart to the top of the list and ran the refresh metadata and replace all images and it grabbed the images. I will have to wait and see if this works as a new movie is added."

My issue with this seems to have gone away after i reordered the image fetcher settings as i mentioned and i have had new movies and series added just fine.

I appreciate your diligence. I need to highlight that my set up is using only "the movie database" as art source. Changing order of data sources is not a solution in my case. Just adding a possible solution to this thread I would say the proper naming format is one key and proper set up on the source side is another one. (And do not forget the sync up on the source side.)

mallison01

Sorry i missed the part about you only using tmdb. There does seem to be some sort of issue with tmdb. Mine stopped working and tmdb was my first image fetcher. I moved fanart up and then it started working again. I seemed to only have the issue with movies, though i never used tmdb for my tv shows as my first pick for grabbing info for tv shows.

Now tmdb is my first for metadata for movies and first for tv show seasons, then Thetvdb is first for metadata for the rest.

I have had no naming scheme change, it just stopped with the latest update for my movies but only with the primary image. My tv shows never had an issue but i didnt use tmdb there.

After dropping tmdb down the list ive had no further issues, maybe tmdb is more finicky on the naming.

my naming scheme is like so:

Movies: \Movies\Red Right Hand (2024)\Red Right Hand (2024) - [WEBRip-1080p, x265, , EAC3, 10, 5.1].mkv

Shows: \TV Shows\Star Trek Discovery (2017)\Star Trek Discovery Season 4\Star Trek - Discovery - S04E01 - Kobayashi Maru [Bluray-1080p, h265, DTS-HD MA, 5.1].mkv

Edited by mallison01

Hi, how does it look if you add another new season?