Apple TV HDR/DV Support and other questions...

Simflix

Simflix

First I want to start this out with I am a long time Plex user (Plexpass lifetime) now turned Plex refugee, the latest changes they are making is the last straw on the camels back for me. So I have turned to Emby for my media hosting needs. I have been running them side by side (Unraid Docker) for about a week now and only have a few issues and questions before I pull the trigger and buy Emby Premiere Lifetime and drop Plex all together. At first glance Emby seems great, really love the simple and clean UI with just my media and nothing else is huge for me but I did run into a bigger issue that is causing me hesitation to fully switch so I just wanted to ask the community if it was just me or if Emby just doesn't support it. I have tried looking googling, looking through the wiki and the forums for an answer but can't find a solution. 

#1. Issue: 

I have the latest Gen Apple TV 4K running the native Emby app and having issue playing content in HDR / DV, now let me be clear the content does play but it is not sending the signal to my TV (LG C2 OLED) to switch to either DV or HDR depending on the content (I have it by default in standard range for just normal use / browsing / TV Shows). I am using the latest version of Emby server (4.8.1.0) on Unraid docker. Now I know this should / can work because it does work with the Plex app with all the same devices and same content files as well as I have tried it with infuse and it works as well. I really like the UI of the native Emby app (the library viewing options which infuse doesn't have) so I would prefer I get it sent up correctly in that app. If it doesn't support it all together then I will have to use the infuse app because almost all my movies are in DV or HDR but I would really prefer to not have to jump between two apps depending on the content I am watching.

#2. Smaller questions I have (probably a setting or option I have missed)

• is it possible to hide the Folder view under movies and tv show library and same goes with episode view in Tv shows libraries

• I have a latest TV shows list on my home screen and can't find an option to have it at an episode level rather than a show level, so I would see what is the latest tv episode added but do not group them together unless a whole season is added at once. This is how plex's recently added tv show works by default

TLDR: switching to Emby from Plex and have issues playing HDR and DV content on Apple TV OS using native Emby app, it does not switch the color range of the TV based on the content playing.

• Like 1

Audiomixer

So this is my opinion only so ymmv. I run android nvidia shield and also apple tv 4k 3rd gen. Plex tvos app has sync issues which have been on going for years with no sign of a proper fix. It does not handle hdr and dv very well either. Some call what plex does with DV fake DV just so you can see your tv display the dv badge and color and intensity might be off as well.

The emby app also has its issues with dv profiles as you have noticed and to me isn't up to par as well for the reasons you outline.

What i ended up doing is i have a plex server and also an emby server running on my nas. For the apple tv i use infuse coupled to the emby server which its only limitation with the version released yesterday is i believe is DV profile 7 (bluray format and apple api limitation) but does fall back to HDR. Infuse does not do fake DV.

infuse can utilize the plex and emby server in direct mode now and my wife loves how this works. Its about the best you can do on apple tv with your hosted media if you dont want to use multiple apps. My wife uses infuse/emby server exclusively.

• Like 1

Simflix

@AudiomixerThanks for your input, was hoping it was going to be something I was doing wrong but sounds like its just an issue with the Emby app and how it handles DV / HDR. 

I tried out the direct mode and Infuse is really nice and fast. Playback always is great as well, always direct play. Guess I will be sticking to that.

Edited by Simflix
  • Like 1

EddyMerkxs

Yep, this is a big gap for emby. I switched to infuse and will switch back whenever emby updates.

Edited by EddyMerkxs
more info, not abandoning emby forever
  • Like 1