seeking forward or backward renders stream unplayable - 4.8.1.0

subtlefarts
Go to solution Solved by subtlefarts,

subtlefarts

Hi,

I'm noticing that whenever I set quality to auto, it direct plays but the video stutters every 2 seconds. If i manually set the bit rate to match the video bit rate it works smoothly.. but setting it to auto causes it lag or buffer every 2 seconds on certain videos. If i seek then it struggles to play it. Sometimes auto picks up the wrong quality setting entirely like choosing 720p 4Mbps for a 10Mbps bitrate.. I'm not sure what's wrong with my config. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using emby server 4.8.10 and I have an NVIDIA GPU. I'm attaching logs for reference when this happens..

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c32e80a8-e89c-448a-b8e3-23d0dffdf933_1.txt

subtlefarts

Somehow seeking break things. A video that's playing smoothly starts getting stuck every 2 seconds the moment i seek forward or backward

subtlefarts

I'm running emby server on a linux kubernetes cluster with 2 NVIDIA GPUs. On any device (Fire stick, ipad, phone or browser) for several videos if i seek the stream forward or backward even by a little bit, the video starts stuttering every 2 seconds. There's no recovery from that. Even if i exit the app and come back and try to resume the lag remains. Then I tried fiddling with the quality settings - I don't need to reduce to the point of transcoding. I just kept swapping between Auto and 1080p - 10Mbps. The video is a 1080p H264 and bitrate of 8mbps. Finally after multiple tries it continues playing normally at 1080p - 10Mbps still as a Direct play. The server dashboard says the stream is direct play throughout. I'm attaching some logs. The logs are while playing on the ipad. If you would like me to get you logs for some other device, let me know and i would be more than happy to pull them.

ffmpeg-remux-seek-recov.txt embyserver-seek-recov.txt ffmpeg-remux-seek.txt embyserver-seek.txt

Edited by subtlefarts
typo and tags

subtlefarts

Additional details:

I have a per stream limit set to 30Mbits and Home Internet quality at auto. Remote connection has download bandwidth of ~200-300Mbps and the server has upload of ~280-300Mbps

1 hour ago, subtlefarts said:

Yes I'm using a reverse proxy. Emby server is behind traefik

Have you compared your traefix setup to this: 

I know it's for nginx, but most reverse proxies have similar options.

subtlefarts

I just checked. I have similar settings except for this one

proxy_set_header Range $http_range;  ## Allows specific chunks of a file to be requested.
proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;  ## Allows specific chunks of a file to be requested.

The above 2 I haven't configured. Otherwise everything else is matched

Update: I looked up about setting these for traefik but I read that by default traefik supports this without needing for any configuration.

Edited by subtlefarts

• Solution
subtlefarts

This fixed it !! Thank you so much. The missing piece was the compress middleware. Once I added that, playback was smooth and I'm able to seek forward and backward. However, I do notice that for some videos, the auto quality setting picks up a sub-optimal bitrate. Thanks for your help. Emby was unusable because of this. Appreciate your help.

• Thanks 1