need clarification of PIN usage behavior

justinrh

Mannish Kumar
On 2/25/2024 at 9:46 PM, ebr said:

Hi. Hopefully, next week - depending on Amazon.

Thanks but still didn't receive any app update.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:06 AM, Mannish Kumar said:

Thanks but still didn't receive any app update.

HI, have you gotten an app update?

Unfortunately, we hung up in Google review.  The Amazon version is waiting to be aligned with that but, if it takes too long, we will try to push it there.

MBSki
On 2/14/2024 at 2:41 AM, Luke said:

So what I would suggest doing on your Pixel is signing out and back in.

Is this supposed to work on Xbox? It doesn't seem to work at the moment. I sign out, sign back and I never get prompted to use a PIN or not. The only way to get it to prompt me to use a PIN is to select "Remember Me". I don't see why I have to select "Remember Me" as I don't want it to Remember Me. I want it to open to the list of users. 

On 2/26/2024 at 9:37 AM, darkassassin07 said:

TV Clients (such as the xbone) display it in huge unobfuscated digits to the entire room, and every users profile page shows their pin in plain text. Even if a user sets their own pin, any admin can view it on their profile page.

This is really dumb and needs to be fixed immediately. PINs are completely useless when everyone in the room can see the pin. I have no choice but to NOT use the PIN, because if I DO use the PIN, then everyone will know my PIN!!!! @Luke When are you going to fix this? This is a must fix ASAP. 

darkassassin07
18 minutes ago, MBSki said:

The only way to get it to prompt me to use a PIN is to select "Remember Me".

This is the intended behaviour.

You check remember me, and the app remembers your profile. 'Switch users' to use another profile. 'sign out' removes the remembered credentials. Optionally you can add a pin (and select 'yes when prompted) so that profile can't be switched to on that app without entering its pin.

The pin is NOT a direct replacement for your password. It cannot be used exclusively like it was previously. It's only used when returning to a profile that has been signed in already.

I still think the app should open to the switch users screen instead of immediately prompting for the last used users pin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

MBSki
16 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

I still think the app should open to the switch users screen instead of immediately prompting for the last used users pin.

Yes, agree. That's what I'm looking for. That option is available in the Android TV app, but no other apps that I use.

darkassassin07

For time time being, when you start the app and are prompted for a pin: you can click the user icon in the top right and select switch users.

Hopefully that change will come to other apps soon, but updates to apps distributed by other platforms (Microsoft, Apple, LG, etc) are kinda slow to rollout. Security reviews and all that jazz...

• Thanks 1

Twistator

This really should be a lesson for future updates. I find it unacceptable, that features disappear / are not working because the clients are not ready for them, but the server gets pushed out the door anyway. Now I have a situation where my usual setup / workflow is disrupted and there is no sign when it will finally be resolved. For all I know this review will take months/years as it did with the LG version before.

The lesson for me is to never upgrade emby server unless many months have passed and let others be my beta testers. This is a lesson many will draw after this recent fiasco and this is not good for security etc.

justinrh
13 hours ago, Twistator said:

I find it unacceptable, that features disappear / are not working because the clients are not ready for them

Whaaaat?  I mentioned this idea (clients being updated at the same time as the server) for a different matter and Emby didn't get why I would ask such a thing, like it was a foreign concept.  Maybe it was in their mind for that particular issue or something, don't know.  I just know it is a common expectation in my experience.

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

Whaaaat?  I mentioned this idea (clients being updated at the same time as the server) for a different matter and Emby didn't get why I would ask such a thing, like it was a foreign concept.  Maybe it was in their mind for that particular issue or something, don't know.  I just know it is a common expectation in my experience.

It is also our goal but the number of store policies and procedures we have to juggle with all of our different app platforms sometimes puts us in the position of having to decide between an inconvenience for a time for a small subset of users vs holding back (even longer) a server release for everyone.

• Like 1

Hi, yes more options are certainly possible. Thanks.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes more options are certainly possible. Thanks.

There are a dozen recommendations here. Who are you responding to? 

Bare minimum, the pin MUST be hidden. This is mandatory, it's not a nice to have feature. PIN usage is completely pointless if everyone can see it. This isn't a, "yes, we'll get to it when we get to it" type thing. It has to be implemented now.

• Agree 2

Mannish Kumar

Even I agree that no one else in the room should be able to see the pin when you type. 

We had this with the Custom Pad, Not sure if this is removed from the recent app as I still didn't get an update for Firetv app.