need clarification of PIN usage behavior

justinrh

justinrh

image.png.a070895e8864b7ad5d4a83bf2e22eb52.png

PIN should be all caps ... 😃

Okay, it says I can be prompted for a PIN for a device I'm already logged into.  Is this like an extra layer of security?  I'm logged in and I need a PIN?

When you say "...shared by multiple users" do you mean Emby users or device acct users?  What's the advantage?  Emby UserA can be logged in to Emby, but Emby UserB logs into the same device account and can open Emby w/o having UserA's password, is that it?

Is this PIN option available in the web app?  I couldn't find it.

Edited by justinrh

Happy2Play
32 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Is this PIN option available in the web app?

Set PIN on your user, login, change users, login, now you can see previous user on settings.

image.png.9b0109e172087b37463b3a40e8bd6357.png

Clicking the user will ask for your PIN.

image.png.6e85752c5cd7280390c1173920d393d6.png

But I guess that depends on what you are calling the web app.

To my knowledge changing user will always require users pin or password.

Tested more so authenticate once per user and change to whoever you want if pin is not set.

Edited by Happy2Play

justinrh
30 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But I guess that depends on what you are calling the web app.

What else could it be besides http://embyserver:8096/web/ ?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, justinrh said:

What else could it be besides http://embyserver:8096/web/ ?

https://app.emby.media/

But appears to work the same on the online app.

So with a PIN it locks your account in a multi user environment when users are changed.

• Thanks 1

justinrh

A slight digression for this thread ... when you use Emby Connect, how do you choose the server to connect to when your acct is tied to multiple servers?  Is there a selection screen after you sign in?

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, justinrh said:

A slight digression for this thread ... when you use Emby Connect, how do you choose the server to connect to when your acct is tied to multiple servers?  Is there a selection screen after you sign in?

should be on User settings menu

image.png.8edb0352b03aa4bd4b3d2b14532ca3b5.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

What's the advantage?

Imagine a TV in a living room of a family with two kids a mother and father.  The kids accounts don't set the PIN and the kids can open Emby on the TV and freely select their account without any additional auth prompt.  Mom and Dad both set a PIN on their account so that, if the kids attempt to switch to their account on the TV, they will have to provide the PIN.

Make sense?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

HawkXP71

Not all my users have the PIN option.  One of the users with it, requires a password/pin even on the local network. It used to have the option of no password on local networks.

What am I missing for users with no PIN option?

How can I set the user with a PIN to not require password locally (the user is not an admin of the emby server)

darkassassin07

You can't not require a password locally anymore. At the very least, you have to enter the password once on each client, select 'remember me' to not have to enter it again. You can then switch user to login another, then switch between them without requiring the passwords again.

Optionally you can also set a pin, and when asked at login, require that pin when returning to the app (for shared clients like a tv or tablet). You can now use this pin feature anywhere, not just locally.

This also means reverse proxy users no longer have their configurations broken to support the security patch required to keep the old lan vs wan password system in place.

4 hours ago, HawkXP71 said:

How can I set the user with a PIN to not require password locally (the user is not an admin of the emby server)

You can't, it's a new system now, but fear not, it's just as easy. They simply have to sign in once with their password, then whenever they return after that, they can use their profile pin instead of having to do the full sign in.

12 hours ago, HawkXP71 said:

One of the users with it, requires a password/pin even on the local network

Hi.  The password and PIN are separate.  First you need to realize that.  It is a bit confusing because our old system did replace the normal password with a PIN.  This new system does not work that way.  The password is always the password - no matter from where.  The PIN is additional and should only be set if you want a user to be restricted from others switching to it (like a parent account on a shared TV).  The PIN has nothing to do with where you are accessing from anymore.

HawkXP71
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The password and PIN are separate.  First you need to realize that.  It is a bit confusing because our old system did replace the normal password with a PIN.  This new system does not work that way.  The password is always the password - no matter from where.  The PIN is additional and should only be set if you want a user to be restricted from others switching to it (like a parent account on a shared TV).  The PIN has nothing to do with where you are accessing from anymore.

That makes sense. 

Why would some users have the PIN option and not others?

Also, where did the "require password every login" option move to?

Again the confusing part for me, after I migrated my server to a new machine, one use requires a password, the other does not

Just now, HawkXP71 said:

Why would some users have the PIN option and not others?

On 2/4/2024 at 9:19 AM, ebr said:

Imagine a TV in a living room of a family with two kids a mother and father.  The kids accounts don't set the PIN and the kids can open Emby on the TV and freely select their account without any additional auth prompt.  Mom and Dad both set a PIN on their account so that, if the kids attempt to switch to their account on the TV, they will have to provide the PIN.

Make sense?

HawkXP71

I understand why users may or may not want a PIN.

im confused as to why some users have the ability to set a pin, and others dont

5 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

im confused as to why some users have the ability to set a pin, and others dont

All users should be able to set a Profile PIN.

image.png

HawkXP71

Logged in as an Admin
Looking at individual users

Some do not have that option
image.thumb.png.30e90ea5bf54678a505e031b4887e9d6.png but others do
image.thumb.png.f506a8880117a6e450e2e7fd1b6d53d0.png

The one without the option probably has no password at all.

darkassassin07

I can confirm; if you remove a users password, the options to set a pin no longer appear.

Set a password and they come back.

justinrh
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Have your questions been answered?

Are you asking me, Luke?  Maybe.

I'd clarification if the PIN can somehow be used with the web app.

I'd also like to know if you have a backlog item for correcting "PIN" and maybe clarify the description text.

Happy2Play

Devs will have to confirm but user has to be authenticated with a password for PIN to work with user switching.  So, a user cannot authenticate with a PIN if logged out.

58 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Yes per the images I showed above.  But in the end PIN only work on an already authenticated user with a password is my understanding.

1 hour ago, justinrh said:

Are you asking me, Luke?  Maybe.

I'd also like to know if you have a backlog item for correcting "PIN" and maybe clarify the description text.

What do you mean by correcting PIN? Also what do you think needs clarifying? I think our answers more or less just recited the help text, no?

17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But in the end PIN only work on an already authenticated user with a password is my understanding.

Correct.  The PIN is a secondary (basically parental) security measure.  You cannot have a PIN without a password - doesn't really make any sense.

• Agree 1

justinrh
23 hours ago, Luke said:

What do you mean by correcting PIN? Also what do you think needs clarifying? I think our answers more or less just recited the help text, no?

See the original post, Luke.