need clarification of PIN usage behavior

justinrh

justinrh
5 hours ago, ebr said:

I think he's just talking about "Pin" vs "PIN"...?

And even "pin".

ITGuy1024

I just want to make sure I follow. So if you have a pin set it will ask for it every time you open Emby?

2 hours ago, ITGuy1024 said:

I just want to make sure I follow. So if you have a pin set it will ask for it every time you open Emby?

HI, yes.

21 hours ago, ITGuy1024 said:

Actually, only if you tell it to...

ITGuy1024
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Actually, only if you tell it to...

Where can you change it to not prompt? 

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, ITGuy1024 said:

Where can you change it to not prompt? 

Well no prompt would mean no pin to me.

ITGuy1024

Right. That's an option. There used to be an option to not prompt if on the local network.

21 minutes ago, ITGuy1024 said:

Right. That's an option. There used to be an option to not prompt if on the local network.

But you can also just sign in once and then the app will remember you, right?

ITGuy1024
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

But you can also just sign in once and then the app will remember you, right?

Not with a pin. At least with mine it asks each time on my phone.

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, ITGuy1024 said:

Not with a pin. At least with mine it asks each time on my phone.

Sign out. Then sign in using your usename+password checking the 'remember me' box.

Select 'no' when asked if you'd like to use your pin. 

You can now switch to that user without requiring a pin or password, until you click 'sign out'.

• Agree 3

Happy2Play

True as this is device specific.  So by passing PIN with NO lets you access your uses like LAN passthrough did.  But don't know if every client has the yes/no at login.

Emby for LG 1.0.41 has been released and now supports multi-user login as well as the new profile pin feature !

mallison01

I have an Nvidia shield that this is not working on yet. It doesn't look like it's been updated yet.

My pixel 8 device got the update, I was prompted once when I signed it, but I can't seem to find where to tell it to prompt me for a pin. But I don't really need PINs on my phone for emby. 

1 hour ago, mallison01 said:

I have an Nvidia shield that this is not working on yet. It doesn't look like it's been updated yet.

My pixel 8 device got the update, I was prompted once when I signed it, but I can't seem to find where to tell it to prompt me for a pin. But I don't really need PINs on my phone for emby. 

Hi, to answer the question, when you authenticate with a password it will ask you a yes or no question whether you want to use the pin on that device when you return.

So what I would suggest doing on your Pixel is signing out and back in. If it's a personal device you may want to just leave it as it is or say No because it might get annoying to have to enter your pin everytime you open the app.

mallison01

Ya, i would not use the pin on my phone. I was assuming and kinda hoping this would be a setting we could find while signed in on the apps. I like that it asks on sign in, but i really think it would be helpful to have this somewhere in your app settings to see the status of it, and be able to turn it on and off, and/or a little lock symbol or something next to your name in the app when you look at the menu to switch users to denote if a profile is PIN locked

But to me, logically it makes sense for it to be listed in your profile settings in the app.

I would also like to see global setting. I do like the per device setting, but i do have users and see cases where a global setting would be nice to require PIN on any sign on for a user that can be set by an admin or the user. I was thinking this is how it would work when i went and set the PIN to begin with in the admin settings until i read more about it on here.

We used the old PIN system on the Shield to protect the profiles as some users have access to more library's and recording options etc. We also have a Guest account on there for people to use if they were visiting that did not require a password on the local network. The sign in and remember should work fine for that user.

I am just waiting for the update to roll out to the shield if it has not already, i have not checked today or yesterday.

5 hours ago, mallison01 said:

I am just waiting for the update to roll out to the shield if it has not already

Hi.  It would be great if you could test it in beta.

mallison01

I can test the beta app, are you talking about side loading it or beta through the Google Play store?

I never got in on any beta for Google Play.

I am in it on the fire TV though. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mallison01 said:

I can test the beta app, are you talking about side loading it or beta through the Google Play store?

Either one will work. Thanks.

mallison01
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Either one will work. Thanks.

I will give it a try, maybe tonight.

Id be happy to be in the Beta for Android.

I have several Android devices, chromecasts, chromecast tv and the nvidia shield.

Im already added to the one for Fire TV

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Mannish Kumar

I am using Firetv and there hasn't been an update to the Firetv app. It is very difficult to enter the password. I did sideload the Android app but it deregistered my emby app license for the Firetv.

Can you please let me know when will the Firetv app updated to accept profile pin?

1 hour ago, Mannish Kumar said:

Can you please let me know when will the Firetv app updated to accept profile pin?

Hi. Hopefully, next week - depending on Amazon.

mallison01

I finally got around to installing the beta apps, while they are better and the pin finally works. I did have to logout and back in to get the pin to work.

This really needs to change, users who are not away of this would just assume it is broken. I still have issues with a few random crashes and the tv show upcoming list being slow to load. This only started from 4.8.

I also noticed that you will only get the notice to lock the app with a pin, if you have already set a pin for the user. Again there are several people who will not get this and you will and do have users that will assume the app is broke. As an admin i shouldnt have to go set their PIN for them, i should not know there PIN or password in general. This is not how we do stuff in the IT world.

The app needs to prompt the user to enable on first load after the update without having to sign out and then should still ask them if they want to set a PIN if they do not have one set.

darkassassin07
11 minutes ago, mallison01 said:

As an admin i shouldnt have to go set their PIN for them, i should not know there PIN or password in general. This is not how we do stuff in the IT world.

Users can set their own pins exactly the same way as passwords. You don't have to do it for them.

@Lukethese pins being in plain text in numerous places is ridiculous however. It shouldn't even be available to display to users. Clearly you arent protecting them like a password: ie hashing before storage.

TV Clients (such as the xbone) display it in huge unobfuscated digits to the entire room, and every users profile page shows their pin in plain text. Even if a user sets their own pin, any admin can view it on their profile page.

User logs in, selects 'yes' to pin auth. Leaves the room mid-movie to go take a shit; anyone can open the menu and see the current users pin while they're gone.

Not good when mischievous teens exist.

and then should still ask them if they want to set a PIN if they do not have one set.

This would be HUGELY annoying to everyone that doesn't want to use a pin. "If I wanted to use one, I'd have set one. Stop asking me constantly."

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

mallison01
26 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Users can set their own pins exactly the same way as passwords. You don't have to do it for them.

@Lukethese pins being in plain text in numerous places is ridiculous however. It shouldn't even be available to display to users. Clearly you arent protecting them like a password: ie hashing before storage.

TV Clients (such as the xbone) display it in huge unobfuscated digits to the entire room, and every users profile page shows their pin in plain text. Even if a user sets their own pin, any admin can view it on their profile page.

User logs in, selects 'yes' to pin auth. Leaves the room mid-movie to go take a shit; anyone can open the menu and see the current users pin while they're gone.

Not good when mischievous teens exist.

This would be HUGELY annoying to everyone that doesn't want to use a pin. "If I wanted to use one, I'd have set one. Stop asking me constantly."

I know a user can set their own pin, but i have users ranging in age from teen to 70's. My problem with all of this is its not communicated well at all to the user, even people that use and manage emby are having a hard time with this.

having a grandmother use the app is a feat in itself, much less them knowing to set the pin or know what to do when the app doesn't prompt for it if its never set and they don't want it to login automatically. Granted that's not something that i see used that way much for the older ones. Yes i could walk them through it on their own.

I do wish there was an option on each user to force a pin to be set and then also the ability to force a pin to always be used.

And yes i completely agree and didn't even think about a teen going and finding the pin, that is definitely not good.

I work in IT at a large company as a systems admin, and we would never ask for passwords or pins and do not set them for you and none of our systems have a way to see these, only reset them to something temporary.

The app should prompt once for each user the first time they login, after that, it shouldn't ask again. HOWEVER, it should be made clear somewhere in the app that the app is not locked or pin protected WITHOUT having to dig for it. BUT, there needs to be a way while logged into the app to turn the feature on or off without having to sign out and back in.

• Like 1