App Logons (4.8.0.80)

Jibest

7 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

but the password is not.

Just like pretty much every other system in the world now, you are just required to authenticate ONCE per device.  Then it will be remembered.  I don't think having to enter the passoword once is such a bad compromise for both the increased security and convenience (it now works both remote and local) of this new method.

serpi
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you able to install the latest usb version of Emby for Samsung?

Sure, but I won't do it  I had it to do for years, until finaly Emby arrived in Europe Store and I will never do it again, as it is a pain in the a**.

adrianwi
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Just like pretty much every other system in the world now, you are just required to authenticate ONCE per device.  Then it will be remembered.  I don't think having to enter the passoword once is such a bad compromise for both the increased security and convenience (it now works both remote and local) of this new method.

I have to enter the password everytime on my aTV

Just now, adrianwi said:

I have to enter the password everytime on my aTV

As also mentioned already, that app just needs to be updated.

serpi
19 hours ago, Luke said:

But also, why do you need to enter the password everytime? Do you have remember me checked when signing in?

I have to enter it every time when switching user, it doesn't seem to remember this (but even entering this once with the remote is not fun).

Also, if I was using USB install, it would have to re-entered after each new install (as it needs to uninstall the old app first, deleteing all app settings).

• Like 1

serpi
13 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

but the password is not.

Well, it is (at least for not administrative users, AFAIK).

I have ow cleared the password for my family, as they (including me) do not have administrative access, for administration I have a seperate user, which is not allowed for remote access.

• Agree 2

darkassassin07
18 minutes ago, serpi said:

I have to enter it every time when switching user, it doesn't seem to remember this (but even entering this once with the remote is not fun).

Also, if I was using USB install, it would have to re-entered after each new install (as it needs to uninstall the old app first, deleteing all app settings).

You use the usb install until the appstore version gets its update. It's a temporary one time thing; you're not being asked to permanently switch to manual installs/updates.

SamES
6 hours ago, serpi said:

I’m pretty sure that I mentioned that the App Store release for 2019 models is in the final release stages with Samsung.  Samsung have already completed launch for 2020+ models.  For you this should be a very temporary issue. 

Exor85

This Update is a pain in the a.. Plaese give us back the Option, to Login in without password/Pin with a local connection. Thanks. 

• Agree 4

Endlesss

This password and pin thing is the dumbest change I have ever seen!

The pin does not work on my Sony Android TV or my Roku media play! Checked and no update to the Emby app on either! Just get invalid login when I add a pin to the profiles!

This also makes in very very hard for kids to use this app! 

I guess for now I have to stop hosting Emby outside by local network, as the only way I can get Emby working on my TVs is to turn off the profile passwords.  Which I need on to host!

If this change is not rolled back and the password/pin redesign, I'll need to move away from Emby! 

I have Emby Premiere which is a waste now!

• Agree 1

Endlesss

Posted 2 times by mistake 

Edited by Endlesss
Posted 2 times by mistake

1 hour ago, Endlesss said:

Just get invalid login when I add a pin to the profiles!

Note that the PIN is additional.  It does not replace your password.  You still need to authenticate with the password first. Did you do that?

1 hour ago, Endlesss said:

This also makes in very very hard for kids to use this app! 

It should be even easier for kids when remote because once authenticated once, they won't need to enter the password again.

Can you please explain exactly what you did with the Roku app?

Exor85
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Note that the PIN is additional.  It does not replace your password.  You still need to authenticate with the password first. Did you do that?

No, that it is completely unnecessary to require a password for local connections, which is always stupid to type in with the remote control. As before, I would like to have the choice of whether I don't need a password/pin for local applications or whether the pin is sufficient for local logins.

The change is certainly a good thing for remote connections. But in your own local network it was easier before this change. 

Just now, Exor85 said:

No, that it is completely unnecessary to require a password for local connections

You only have to authenticate once...

Exor85
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

You only have to authenticate once...

Once too much for a private media server running on the local network. I'm neither Netflix nor Prime Video, for which this would certainly make sense.

24 minutes ago, Exor85 said:

Once too much for a private media server running on the local network. I'm neither Netflix nor Prime Video, for which this would certainly make sense.

Stay tuned, because once we get through this release we are also planning on looking at more modern authentication techniques, so that you'll be able to use an easier method than password entry.

Endlesss
47 minutes ago, ebr said:

It should be even easier for kids when remote because once authenticated once, they won't need to enter the password again.

Can you please explain exactly what you did with the Roku app?

Just signed in and now is works on the Sony TV. Thanks,

On the Roku with a password set, the profile just sits at a spinning ball.  Take away the password and is works fine.

3 minutes ago, Endlesss said:

Just signed in and now is works on the Sony TV. Thanks,

On the Roku with a password set, the profile just sits at a spinning ball.  Take away the password and is works fine.

Can you please attach the emby server log from when that happened? We might be able to spot something there. Thanks.

darkassassin07
35 minutes ago, Exor85 said:

If it's truly a private local server not exposed to the internet; you don't need passwords, and can remove them completely.

If you do have it exposed to the internet, passwords are important. Letting an internet exposed server ignore the need for a password in some situations has proven to be a really bad idea, thus has been removed.

The current system requires that you enter a password once per device (or everytime if you chose). Optionally you can add a pin to be required instead when you come back to that device.

Endlesss
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you please attach the emby server log from when that happened? We might be able to spot something there. Thanks.

Thanks, got it working.....I just remove the emby server and re-added it.  Now it is working on Sony TV and Roku :)

• Thanks 1

Exor85

So, after testing it several times, I have to stick with the opinion that the change to the login mechanics was a shot in the arm. 

Emby App runs on an Nvidia Shield Pro in the latest version. 

Only three local profiles are used: 2x adults (my wife and myself) and one child profile. The child profile could previously be accessed without entering a pin. The two adult profiles were secured with a pin for the purpose of youth protection (FSK). The pin was also stored in the user settings in the new version. 

I have reinstalled the Emby app and added the server again. All three profiles are displayed on the login screen. So far so good. 

The first time I log in to my profile with the password, the login works. If I now close Emby and restart it, the login screen appears. However, I can now log in directly without entering a pin or password. So it makes no sense at all if you have children. If I activate the option in the client that the password should be requested, I still can't log in with the pin and have to enter the password again.

This whole issue is simply nonsense with local connections. It's simply not useful.

20240205_160514.jpg

Screenshot_20240205_155649_Emby.jpg

@Exor85Look for the "Emby for Android" app in the play store and try that one instead.

Exor85
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

@Exor85Look for the "Emby for Android" app in the play store and try that one instead.

As i wrote: Emby App runs on an Nvidia Shield Pro in the latest version.

This is the Version from the play store.

20240205_161436.jpg

Edited by Exor85

Exor85
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

There should be another one just called "Emby for Android" but, if you cannot find it, you can try sideloading it.

Sorry, but I don't want to tinker or experiment. There is a reason why I use stable versions and not betas. I don't want to tinker or try. I simply expect your official apps to offer the same basic functions after an update as before the update. 

This is your official app from the official Play Store. If I start installing something via Sidelaod now, the question is what will suddenly stop working. Because so far the app and your server have done exactly what they are supposed to do. Simply set it up and let it run. I've been very happy with it so far. But the new messed-up login mechanism makes the whole system unusable from a family perspective.

I just need to know whether this problem will be fixed soon (I can deal with that) or whether there will continue to be only tinkering instructions on this topic. Because then I would know whether I would just have to be patient or find another solution, which I would find a great pity.

Thanks