App Logons (4.8.0.80)

Jibest

Jibest

I updated Emby Server to 4.8.0.80 earlier today and now have to login to all my tv apps when user switching. The option to tick a box and not require credentials when on the internal network has been removed........

Having a glance through the forums suggests this is some security improvement and that Pins might be the least frustrating method going forward, but when I tried setting up a PIN and logging into Emby using it it didn't work.

I thought this might be due to an old app version on the Samsung Tv so I tried a Firestick but the result was the same. The only thing that I can think to do now is to change everyones password to a 4 digit number which ironically would decrease the security of my external access which is currently set to use complex passwords.

Whats the deal here? I thought i'd find a lot of information about the change in the release notes or on the forum but unless i've somehow missed it this doesn't seem to be the case?

Is there an easy method to rollback this change on a Qnap Emby server while deciding on the way forward?

Fire Stick App version is 2.0.98a but I mainly use an LG & Samsung Tv for family use.

Edited by Jibest
Typo

Hi.  You should only have to authenticate once.  After that, the credentials will be remembered - unless you set the app to force you to log in each time.

Jibest
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You should only have to authenticate once.  After that, the credentials will be remembered - unless you set the app to force you to log in each time.

This will work for user switching? It doesn't seem to.

• Agree 1

Yes it should.  Please go over a specific example.

Jibest
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes it should.  Please go over a specific example.

Sure

I load up the Emby app on my LG Tv, it loads straight into a Kids profile. I then go to "change user" to an adult profile and it requests a password, I enter it and log into the app.

I then change user back to the Kid profile and it asks for the password, once logged back into there I change user again to the adult profile and it again asks for a password.

It only seems to remember the credential of the last user when the app is launched.

Hi.  Some of the specific TV platform app stores may not have the update yet to completely support this.  I think LG is still in review.

Jibest
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Some of the specific TV platform app stores may not have the update yet to completely support this.  I think LG is still in review.

My Samsung Tv also does not seem to support this switching although I can confirm that the Firestick did work as you've described.

As the family uses the Tv app this is going to cause frustration until the Apps get updated.

Do you know if I can easily downgrade from 4.8.0.80 to 4.7.14.0? (Thats assuming 4.7.14.0 still has the no password when local option). Emby Server is running from a Qnap.

It might have been better to have kept the "not require credentials when on the internal network" option available to users until such a time all platforms can support the changes. Even if the option was disabled when updating to 4.8.0.80 at least people could have manually turned it back on.

Edited by Jibest
Additional Info

Jibest
6 minutes ago, kbijvank said:

Unfortunately there is no downgrading this Update. 

All the more reason not to remove features too early then imo.

Seems even more egregious when I can't see mention of that change in the release notes (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases).

The list is very long however so fair enough if i'm wrong about that, but scanned twice and didn't see it.

adminExitium

It only specifies the addition of the pin feature and not the removal of the password-less local login, but it's the first item on the list:

• Add new profile pin feature. Useful for devices shared by multiple users.

Jibest
12 minutes ago, adminExitium said:

It only specifies the addition of the pin feature and not the removal of the password-less local login, but it's the first item on the list:

•  

Nobody is going to make the leap that "Add new profile pin feature. Useful for devices shared by multiple users“  equals "not require credentials when on the internal network" has been removed.

Not a chance.

No point continuing to discuss this as it's very black & white.

Thanks for the info but think lessons can\should be learned from this.

• Agree 4

serpi

So, this is great.

I'm on the "official" Samsung Tizen App (1.6.4, and I will not go back to USB install) and now, after Server update to 4.8, I have to enter the user password every time when switching user (which happens often, as my whole family uses the TV).

And entering the password using the remote is really not fun!

It doesn't accept the pin as password, there is no option to enter the pin and when I look into the changelog, the "new profile pin feature" is only supported with version 1.6.5 (and up).

When changing such key functions as "local login without password", this should at least function on the official  apps, without having the user installing some beta versions.

So, bring back the "local login without password" option ASAP with a patch and let it stay, unless the official apps all support the pin input and remembering the password.

This must be the worst change ever in Emby history and changing such a key feature without any warning is really a total No-Go.

I understand, that you were thinking, this improves security, but let me tell you this:

1. Most of your users are adult persons and responsible for their own actions (and your customers). If they want to have local users to login without pin or password, this is their choice, not yours. You removed this feature without asking the user. If you were thinking, this option should not be used, then you still should give the user the choice to remove this feature. You could have displayed a message on the server admin board after the update, that the user can choose to remove the "local login without password" option but also give a warning, that not all apps will allow entering the pin or even remember the password.

2. Congratulations, you now made the login much more insecure. I will have to clear the passwords, so that my family will not kill me for entering their passwords with the remote control every time they switch user.

serpi
3 hours ago, Jibest said:

My Samsung Tv also does not seem to support this switching although I can confirm that the Firestick did work as you've described.

As the family uses the Tv app this is going to cause frustration until the Apps get updated.

The Samsung App supports PIN input from version 1.6.5 and up but it seems, 1.6.4 is the recent version in store, so no support for this in the official app.

As I had this problem too (and just wrote about it in the Samsung forum) I now cleared the passwords of my family, as entering the password with the remote is not a very pleasant experience.

I can absolutely not understand, why this option has been removed when not even the official apps support the change (and even if they would support it, it should be the choice of the user, not of the developer; sadly, the Emby develelopers often think, they should not give the choice to user).

27 minutes ago, serpi said:

The Samsung App supports PIN input from version 1.6.5 and up but it seems, 1.6.4 is the recent version in store, so no support for this in the official app.

As I had this problem too (and just wrote about it in the Samsung forum) I now cleared the passwords of my family, as entering the password with the remote is not a very pleasant experience.

I can absolutely not understand, why this option has been removed when not even the official apps support the change (and even if they would support it, it should be the choice of the user, not of the developer; sadly, the Emby develelopers often think, they should not give the choice to user).

Are you able to install the latest usb version of Emby for Samsung?

But also, why do you need to enter the password everytime? Do you have remember me checked when signing in?

5 hours ago, Jibest said:

I updated Emby Server to 4.8.0.80 earlier today and now have to login to all my tv apps when user switching. The option to tick a box and not require credentials when on the internal network has been removed........

Having a glance through the forums suggests this is some security improvement and that Pins might be the least frustrating method going forward, but when I tried setting up a PIN and logging into Emby using it it didn't work.

I thought this might be due to an old app version on the Samsung Tv so I tried a Firestick but the result was the same. The only thing that I can think to do now is to change everyones password to a 4 digit number which ironically would decrease the security of my external access which is currently set to use complex passwords.

Whats the deal here? I thought i'd find a lot of information about the change in the release notes or on the forum but unless i've somehow missed it this doesn't seem to be the case?

Is there an easy method to rollback this change on a Qnap Emby server while deciding on the way forward?

Fire Stick App version is 2.0.98a but I mainly use an LG & Samsung Tv for family use.

Hi, Emby for LG has an update in LG review and once this is released it will be brought up to speed with all of the new multi-user and the new profile pin feature. Hopefully this will happen in the next couple weeks.

Emby for Samsung already has this, depending on what version of the app you have installed.

SamES
47 minutes ago, serpi said:

The 2019 app version 1.7.0 release is with Samsung and in its final launch stages.  Newer models are already released, so it shouldn't be far away.

adrianwi

I have 'Remember me:Yes' and it is asking me for a password everytime I switch between users on the aTV client 1.8.3(1).  I really don't want to use passwords to switch between users when I'm connecting across my local area network 😞

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, adrianwi said:

I have 'Remember me:Yes' and it is asking me for a password everytime I switch between users on the aTV client 1.8.3(1).  I really don't want to use passwords to switch between users when I'm connecting across my local area network 😞

We'll be adding support for the new profile pin feature to Emby for Apple TV very soon.

zootropolis

Same problem here - I posted in the LG app forum before coming across this thread. Waiting for that LG app update I guess. 

Entering the password every time when switching accounts on the local network is very inconvenient. 

adrianwi
5 hours ago, Luke said:

We'll be adding support for the new profile pin feature to Emby for Apple TV very soon.

Might have been a good idea to get such a fundamental change working across all clients before removing the previous functionality?  It’s not like you’ve been working on this release for the last year 😞

I don’t really want to use a PIN either to switch accounts locally. The user accounts are just so people have their own watched and up next info. 

Users should be given choices about how to apply security, not have your approach shoved upon them. One of those things include MFA which has been asked for continuously for the past 5 years, and we still have nothing. How about providing various options that people can chose to apply themselves to meet there specific requirements?

Edited by adrianwi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

kbijvank
2 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Might have been a good idea to get such a fundamental change working across all clients before removing the previous functionality?  It’s not like you’ve been working on this release for the last year 😞

I don’t really want to use a PIN either to switch accounts locally. The user accounts are just so people have their own watched and up next info. 

Users should be given choices about how to apply security, not have your approach shoved upon them. One of those things include MFA which has been asked for continuously for the past 5 years, and we still have nothing. How about providing various options that people can chose to apply themselves to meet there specific requirements?

What you can do is switching user profiles in the Apple TV and log each user into their accounts. That worked for me in the Beta testing it’s even without pin!

Jibest
3 minutes ago, kbijvank said:

What you can do is switching user profiles in the Apple TV and log each user into their accounts. That worked for me in the Beta testing it’s even without pin!

That's how it should work. The problem is not all the apps support this functionality yet ..........

6 hours ago, adrianwi said:

I don’t really want to use a PIN either to switch accounts locally.

The PIN is optional.