Movie metadata not using metadata download language

Ceten
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Ceten

Hi

I noticed that for most of the movies added to my library in the last months the metadata is not in the language I set in the library settings.
Language is set to 'Dutch':

image.png.4215cdaa427abd4754c0ad4394553cb3.png

But the metadata for these movies is in English.
For example 'Saltburn (2023)' is available on TheMovieDb with Dutch overview but looks like this (https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/930564-saltburn?language=nl):
image.png.af3f13a440cf43f1cd2afde4f80fd292.png

For some movies the overview is in English and the title in Chinese (original language of the movie):
 image.thumb.png.aee24785c9da2a1e791cf7c5e4af4b58.png

This is also available on TheMovieDb with a Dutch overview and English title : https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/535167?language=nl
I can give other examples if needed.
A few examples of recent movies which were correctly retrieved in Dutch are: Moonfall (2022), Trolls Band Together (2023) and Godzilla - King of the Monsters (2019).
Does anyone have the same issue or a hint at what might cause this?

Edited by Ceten

• Solution
GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Ceten said:

I noticed that for most of the movies added to my library in the last months the metadata is not in the language I set in the library settings.
Language is set to 'Dutch':

But the metadata for these movies is in English.
For example 'Saltburn (2023)' is available on TheMovieDb with Dutch overview but looks like this (https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/930564-saltburn?language=nl):
image.png.af3f13a440cf43f1cd2afde4f80fd292.png

For some movies the overview is in English and the title in Chinese (original language of the movie):
 image.thumb.png.aee24785c9da2a1e791cf7c5e4af4b58.png

This is also available on TheMovieDb with a Dutch overview and English title : https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/535167?language=nl

Change Country to Netherlands and Refresh Metadata>Replace all, as neither Saltburn nor The Wandering Earth have nl-BE translations (but have nl-NL).

image.thumb.png.7645d30e69ddcf353f0c9d31fca1f9c9.png

image.thumb.png.c00bb200dc3816aa1c1a84ef11f2c41c.png

14 minutes ago, Ceten said:

A few examples of recent movies which were correctly retrieved in Dutch are: Moonfall (2022), Trolls Band Together (2023) and Godzilla - King of the Monsters (2019).

All of those movies do have nl-BE translations, hence you're getting those.

image.thumb.png.b8bfeee9bfe9ac7b825721775c32b5fc.png

image.thumb.png.d25ef8278be55116dccce7bc432108e8.png

image.png

NicoLaz

Hi @GrimReaperand @Ceten

I had a similar issue with my movie library, but with German language. I wanted to share the solution I found as it was a bit tricky to find it.

Concerning the language settings above, my movie library was set up correctly - in my case to Language "German", Country "Germany" (most commen German speaking country). Anyways, I was getting descritpions and titles mostly in English, though a translation in de_DE existed on TheMovieDB. The problem was the priority settings of metadata providers. I dont't know how it happend, but in the metadata providers list "TheTVDB" was prioritized over "TheMovieDB". For the movies that also existed there (and it was the majority in my case), translations do rarely exists. Setting the priorities in the correct order solved the whole mystery 🙂

I hope that saves a some people a lot of time!

grafik.png.5b11c5c266cb872f7a9bdb93c77fa690.png

• Like 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, NicoLaz said:

The problem was the priority settings of metadata providers. I dont't know how it happend, but in the metadata providers list "TheTVDB" was prioritized over "TheMovieDB". For the movies that also existed there (and it was the majority in my case), translations do rarely exists. Setting the priorities in the correct order solved the whole mystery

NIce finding, but OP has TVDB meta-provider disabled (rightly so, IMHO), i.e. TMDB is their top-preferred meta-fetcher.

47 minutes ago, Ceten said:

Edited by GrimReaper

NicoLaz

Yes, totally right @GrimReaper. As this post somehow helped me to solve my issue and the symptoms where the same, I wanted to add the solution for my (slightly different) case as well. It might be easier for others to find. If you don't agree, feel free to move it to a new topic.

Concerning disabling TheTVDB: I have it enabled on porpuse. I found that movies primarily produced for TV or directly by TV channels are sometimes listed on TheTVDB only. Interestingly, those have translations in the most cases 🙂

Best
NicoLaz

Edited by NicoLaz

Ceten

Thanks for the tips guys!
I think @GrimReaperis spot on, I totally overlooked the differences between nl-BE and nl-NL translations as TVDB only has nl translations, indifferent of the region.
I'll update the translations on TMDB when I encounter such cases but it would be great if Emby supported some kind of fallback to fill in the metadata as proposed here:

Although there already seems to be some kind of fallback as for 'The Wandering Earth' and other Chines films Emby has retrieved an English overview with a Chinese title?

There is a built-in fallback to English. It's a last resort to avoid having nothing.

Ceten
On 1/31/2024 at 9:19 PM, Luke said:

There is a built-in fallback to English. It's a last resort to avoid having nothing.

That's great!
So for overviews Emby retrieves them in the order' library settings language > English > original language' and for titles 'library settings language > original language'?
Also is this only for TMDB and not for TVDB?
For example the serie 'Sweet Home' has all the titles and overview in Korean although there are English translations available as well: https://thetvdb.com/series/sweet-home

Ceten

Just checked and after a refresh the metadata for Sweet Home s01 is now in English.
I guess the English translation was added after I added the episodes.
Thanks for the info @Luke

• Thanks 1