OpenSubtitles.org API change seems to have broken Emby subtitle search

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

Emby Server 4.7.14.0

Today I found that Emby is no longer able to download subtitles from OpenSubtitles.org. A quick check reveals that as from today (2024-01-01) the OpenSubtitles.org API is only available to / usable by VIP members. Okay, so I am a VIP member of OpenSubtitles.org, but...

If I do not tick the box to say that I am a VIP member in Emby's OpenSubtitles settings then Emby happily searches for and displays subtitles like it used to. But if I try to view or download any subtitles then it tells me the I need to become an OpenSubtitles VIP member. Fair enough.

If I do tick the box to say that I am a VIP member then Emby does not return any errors but any attempt to search for subtitles returns nothing at all.

I suspect that maybe something changed with the API and now Emby is not interacting with it correctly for VIP members, but that is just a guess. In any event, things seem broken at the moment 😞 There is nothing obvious (to me at least) in the Emby logs (the most recent one which includes several failed attempts to retrieve subtitles is attached).

embyserver.txt

Goose26

Same issue here. Also running into any show that uses OpenSubtitles is now displaying a message saying to become a VIP member rather than showing any of the dialogue spoken. 

darkassassin07

Yup. Opensubtitles.org has moved to a new api that requires an account to use.

Emby has negotiated a bypass for this, but it's implemented in server v4.8. Not v4.7.

Gonna have to wait till the beta finally releases into stable.

Q-Droid

Nothing has changed for me. The plugin is working on 4.7.14, same as before.

js28194

I think they are moving to opensubtitles.com... and if you noticed even being a VIP member, Emby doesn't ask for API key only username and password.  API key's are for "addons" which I don't think Emby uses and addon based solution, just a web login solution.  Could be wrong, but no change for me either, working fine.

On 1/2/2024 at 7:14 AM, Q-Droid said:

Nothing has changed for me. The plugin is working on 4.7.14, same as before.

Are you an opensubtitles.org vip member?

Q-Droid
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you an opensubtitles.org vip member?

Yes I am.

HolyGigi

For me it still doesn't work. 

I've replaced the dll file in all 3 folders where I found it, restarted emby server, re-added my login information in the plugin, but still fails.

ChrisJ60

Hi @LukeI'm running Emby Server on Synology NAS. Will this 'dll' work for me?

Thanks, Chris

3 minutes ago, ChrisJ60 said:

Hi @LukeI'm running Emby Server on Synology NAS. Will this 'dll' work for me?

Thanks, Chris

Yes it will.

6 minutes ago, HolyGigi said:

For me it still doesn't work. 

I've replaced the dll file in all 3 folders where I found it, restarted emby server, re-added my login information in the plugin, but still fails.

Fails how? Server log? And is your login information based on opensubtitles.com?

ChrisJ60

@Luke Thanks. Will it work for a VIP member of OpenSubtitles? I have both .org and .com accounts (with the same credentials).

ChrisJ60

@LukeI just tested it and it seems to work okay. Search works and I was able to download several subtitle files. Is it okay to leave this in place or will it cause problems for any future automated updates of the plugin (I assume there is an autoupdate mechanism?).

Thanks!

ChrisJ60

@LukeI also meant to ask if it is now a requirement to be an OpenSubtitles VIP member to download subtitles? Just curious as I wasn't one before but I'm not sure if Emby has any special arrangement with OpenSubtitles in this regard.

• Like 1

HolyGigi
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Fails how? Server log? And is your login information based on opensubtitles.com?

It is based on OpenSubtitles.org, as in OPs first post. I never used .com domain. And I am a VIP member there.

It fails by telling me "No results found. Have you configured subtitle downloading?" when I manually search for any sub. Also, the automated, daily task does not download anything.

embyserver.zip

10 minutes ago, HolyGigi said:

It is based on OpenSubtitles.org, as in OPs first post. I never used .com domain. And I am a VIP member there.

It fails by telling me "No results found. Have you configured subtitle downloading?" when I manually search for any sub. Also, the automated, daily task does not download anything.

embyserver.zip 3.26 MB · 0 downloads

You should switch to opensubtitles.com and then test this plugin. OpenSubtitles is recommending that developers switch. We're switching our support to .com.

HolyGigi

Created an account now on .com and it works, it also inherited the VIP status from .org since I used the same login information. Thx for the .dll

• Thanks 1

F1nchy

Hi guys
I have this issue too. So, is Opensubs .org and .com the same thing? My VIP is due to renew in a week, thinking I need to cancel the auto-renewal if VIP for one is not the same as VIP for the other!

F1nchy

Hi guys
I have this issue too. So, is Opensubs .org and .com the same thing? My VIP is due to renew in a week, thinking I need to cancel the auto-renewal if VIP for one is not the same as VIP for the other!

ChrisJ60

@F1nchyThey are not identical but they are essentially the same organization. If you go to Opensubtitles.com then they have a mechanism there that will let you migrate your .org account, including any associated VIP membership, over to .com. I did this a few weeks ago and with the new DLL that Luke posted subtitle search and download is working fine for me now.