Fast sliding seek bar to fast forward just like YouTube,Plex, Jellyfin

kakashi55

kakashi55

While holding down the Right Button on remote, the seek baar slides very fast and smoothly in YouTube, Plex and Jellyfin etc on Samsung TV. This type of fast forward is desirable in Emby app since it is the standard in every other app.

I have set 'skip forward to 30 sec' in Settings. When I press the right button only one time, the video skips 30 seconds. 

But when I hold down the Right Button, the video fast forwards only by 10 seconds and that too very slowly.

Emby is fastest and most beautiful than others. The only thing I am uncomfortable with is slow fast forwarding.

18 minutes ago, kakashi55 said:

While holding down the Right Button on remote, the seek baar slides very fast and smoothly in YouTube, Plex and Jellyfin etc on Samsung TV. This type of fast forward is desirable in Emby app since it is the standard in every other app.

I have set 'skip forward to 30 sec' in Settings. When I press the right button only one time, the video skips 30 seconds. 

But when I hold down the Right Button, the video fast forwards only by 10 seconds and that too very slowly.

Emby is fastest and most beautiful than others. The only thing I am uncomfortable with is slow fast forwarding.

Can you please confirm the app version you are using?

kakashi55
8 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you please confirm the app version you are using?

Currently I am using 1.6.4 available on Samsung store.

I also installed usb version 1.6.9 a week ago.  Both version has same issue.

11 hours ago, kakashi55 said:

@LukeI can confirm this is the case.  Is there a plan to allow faster seeking/bigger jumps?

FrostByte

I like the ones that gradually get faster the longer you hold the button down.  Starts off slow for dialing into a spot if you're close, but if you hold the button down it skips faster and faster if you got a long way to go.  Sort of like the old VCR players.

• Like 3

kakashi55

@Luke

Here is more clear detail :

When holding down the Right Button, it skips 10 seconds then pauses, then skips-pause-skips-pause-skips-pause...... It takes a pause for about 500 ms in between each 10 seconds skip.  Seek bar doesn't behave like a slider while holding down the button like other media apps. @Luke

14 hours ago, kakashi55 said:

@Luke

Here is more clear detail :

When holding down the Right Button, it skips 10 seconds then pauses, then skips-pause-skips-pause-skips-pause...... It takes a pause for about 500 ms in between each 10 seconds skip.  Seek bar doesn't behave like a slider while holding down the button like other media apps. @Luke

I don't see this issue with pausing.  What type of remote are you using (Samsung have a few variations) - can you post a photo?

kakashi55

Seeking is not continuous, it pauses in between. It should seek around 1 minute continuously like a slider while holding down the Right button.  

@SamES

I think it's the universal problem.

When I press and release the 'Down button', it scrolls faster than holding down the 'Down button'. It's the opposite behaviour right ??  Holding down the 'Down button' should scroll faster than the press and release. But it doesn't happen.

Edited by kakashi55

9 hours ago, kakashi55 said:

@SamES is seeking faster in Android TV ?

I don’t know, I don’t use the Android TV app, but it is built on a different platform. 

11 hours ago, kakashi55 said:

When I press and release the 'Down button', it scrolls faster than holding down the 'Down button'. It's the opposite behaviour right ??  Holding down the 'Down button' should scroll faster than the press and release. But it doesn't happen.

I don’t quite understand this. Seeking should be left/right button not down. 

kakashi55
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SamES said:

I don’t quite understand this

Sorry for not being clear. Here, I was talking about scrolling the library. When you scroll, you will understand this. I just stated the behaviour that it is the same as seeking problem Because - If I seek by pressing & releasing the Right button again and again, it is faster than holding down it.

Same thing happens when scrolling the library - If I press & release Down button again and again, it scrolls faster than holding down it.

And it's the opposite behaviour. Right ?

Holding the Right or Down button should be faster than pressing & releasing them in both seeking and scrolling respectively.

Edited by kakashi55

SamES
8 hours ago, kakashi55 said:

Holding the Right or Down button should be faster than pressing & releasing them in both seeking and scrolling respectively.

No necessarily.  When you hold down the button, there is a built-in delay to simulate multiple key presses.  It is possible that you can manually press the button multiple times, quicker than the delay.

During playback, when you hold down the button the position marker on the timeline should move continuously and the movie should keep playing.  Only when you release the button, then the movie should jump to the selected time.

What model is your TV?

• Like 1

kakashi55
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SamES said:

During playback, when you hold down the button the position marker on the timeline should move continuously and the movie should keep playing.  Only when you release the button, then the movie should jump to the selected time.

This doesn't happen. Movie also skips 10 seconds along with position marker while holding down the button and it's slow. Tried different emby versions - 1.6.4, 1.6.9 and 1.7.0.

Model - UA43AUE65AKXXL(2023) and a 2019 model.

Edited by kakashi55

SamES

This doesn't happen. Movie also skips 10 seconds along with position marker while holding down the button and it's slow. Tried different emby versions - 1.6.4, 1.6.9 and 1.7.0.

Is the movie DirectPlay, or is there some transcoding going on as well (Check Stats for Nerds to during playback)?  Is it all movies, or just some?  Does this happen for all media types (ie: TV shows, movies, etc?). What 'type' is your library - are you using mixed content, or is it Movies, TV Shows, etc?

kakashi55
Posted (edited)

@SamES

All Movie/Shows -- Direct play(No transcoding)

Library type -- No mixed content. 

This happens in all movies/shows.

Edited by kakashi55

kakashi55
On 12/30/2023 at 2:49 PM, SamES said:

@LukeI can confirm this is the case.  Is there a plan to allow faster seeking/bigger jumps?

By the way, you have already confirmed the case. That means it is also happening to your TV ? 

SamES

Last question, for now.  You have two TV's, and I assume two remote controls.  Does it do it with both remote controls on both TV's?

1 minute ago, kakashi55 said:

By the way, you have already confirmed the case. That means it is also happening to your TV ? 

I confirmed that it only seeks 10 seconds at a time, but it is a smooth scrolling of the timeline, and the video doesn't pause after each 10 seconds like you describe - it jumps to the spot when you stop holding the button.

Could you make a quick video showing what happens, just to make sure we are discussing the same problem?

kakashi55
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Does it do it with both remote controls on both TV's?

Yes.

3 minutes ago, SamES said:

it jumps to the spot when you stop holding the button.

This does not happen. Movie also keeps skipping at the same time as position marker. I will post a video after some time.

FrostByte
On 12/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, SamES said:

I don’t know, I don’t use the Android TV app, but it is built on a different platform. 

ATV uses the type of FF/REW I described earlier.  It starts out slow and then gradually increases in speed the longer you hold the left/right arrow down.

Not sure if that's possible in Tizen.  I think it would be wrong to just increase the speed though.  If you don't have far to scroll, then you want it to be slower.  If you're further away, then you want it to get faster.

kakashi55
12 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Not sure if that's possible in Tizen

It is definitely possible in Tizen also. Because Jellyfin can do that and it's a fork of Emby. Therefore Emby can also do that.  I think Android TV like FF/Rew is not implemented in Tizen yet by Emby developers.

SamES

Thanks for the video. I assume you're holding the button down continuously for this test.  It is strange, I've not seen it behave like this.

kakashi55
37 minutes ago, SamES said:

I assume you're holding the button down continuously for this test.

Yes.

39 minutes ago, SamES said:

I've not seen it behave like this.

What model is your Samsung TV ? 

Btw, there should be Android TV like FF/Rw as described by @FrostByte