stringman
Go to solution Solved by stringman,

stringman

Hi all,

Thanks to advice here I just about to set up my system

The server is a dell laptop running i7-4600uCPU 2.1ghz

it has 8gb ram and 256gb ssd

running windows 10 pro

At the moment I have my films on a 256gb ssd  via usb3 port, my music and TV are both on the hard drive of the laptop.

I have full fibre with a 500mbs line

During testing I am using the wifi.

It all seems to be running ok. 

So here are my stupid questions ( I think I know the answers but would like confirmation please)

Will it run more stable/better on with the server connected by ethernet ( the main watching device (TV) is also hard wired?

Is it more stable to have the media on a usb  drive or the hard drive of the server?

If its better on the usb would it be better to have the usb plugged into the router?

Many thanks in advance

Is it more stable to have the media on a usb  drive or the hard drive of the server?

Hi, if possible, putting it on a drive on the server will perform better and be more stable.

• Agree 1

stringman
On 16/12/2023 at 18:55, Luke said:

Hi, if possible, putting it on a drive on the server will perform better and be more stable.

Luke, Thanks for that . That is what I thought But on a previous post I was advised on using the laptop for dedicated server use. Though I was thinking of the Laptop(server)  hdd only ( told you they were thick questions!!)  but its obvious that it makes no difference to the laptop if its internal hdd or external (other than there is more "transference processing"  required.

Would  what you say about stability also stand for the ssd being plugged into the router?

I am hoping to have a play and will try various options to see if there is any noticeable difference in playback ( I am not too fussed about the home page taking a few seconds more)

Many thanks 

stringman

UPDATE

So I plugged all the system in and its all worked fine  and didnt seem to drop out at all. I was going to connect the ssd to the usb of the router but for some reason the server wouldnt see the path so I just left it in the laptop.

I am now struggling with the remote access. I feel the problem is with my router as it has already stored some port forwarding rules for the 1st test intall.

I cant see how to remove and reset ( and I am full of cold) but will leave it for now- maybe talk to my isp as they often help with router stuff.

Thanks very much

stringman
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, what exactly happens with remote access?

If its on my android phone (using 4 g) and I use the remote address (starts 134.65  port 8096 it just comes up ( very quickly ) Unable to reach server

If i try the "home network"  it does the same but takes alot longer to spit out the message.

If I type in the home network address onto a different laptop whilst on the wifi it connects to the home page and works fine.

If, on 4g, I type in the remote ip adress on the laptop it takes a long time thinking about it then tells me I cant reach the page.

If I try the "home network" ip ( still on 4g) it does the same thing.

Most confusing

OK I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

Connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks.

• Solution
stringman

I decided that since I did not have a static ip on the server, but the rouuter had already set upnp rules for a previous test set up That I would set the server to that ip address.

Things just worked. I did not even have to add the "remote server" as a separate server.

Thank you so much for your help.

• Thanks 1