TrueNAS container gpu passthrough and hardware transcoding

sambarlick

sambarlick

Hi,

I'm running trueNAS scale on the latest version (TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1). I'm using the trueNAS version and not the TrueCharts version as I found speed issues with the charts version.

So,.as per the attached screenshot, I've allocated the GPU passthrough (not sure if all 3 need to be on). I have an intel i9-9920X CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610. Those options are the only options in each of the 3 drop downs. I assume this is Intel Quick sync as trueNAS wouldn't let me allocate the GPU to a VM.

Hardware transcoding doesn't seem to working. I have turned hardware transcoding on in Emby server settings. I thought them when hardware transcoding was running during a transcode it is indicated in the server dashboard, however when I am transcoding nothing about hardware transcoding is indicated.

Have I done something wrong or missed something? Or is it that hardware transcoding is simply not possible?

Thanks,

Sam

Screenshot_20231210-194723.png

• 1 month later...
sambarlick

Hi Luke,

I do have emby premiere.

I'm running the server on trueNAS scale and the update hasn't been pushed through.

Sam

OK please let us know how things go once you are able to update. Thanks.

sambarlick

Hi Luke,

So I've now updated to 4.8.

Still can't see hardware transcoding being used.

I haven't changed any settings.

Can I send anything else?

Sam

Screenshot_20240212-160158.png

markup_1000002695.png

Screenshot_20240212-160327.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@sambarlickcan you please start the server up fresh and then attach the emby server log? Thanks !

sambarlick

Hi Luke,

I can, but I think I've discovered the issue, not emby issue. It turns out my GPU is not supported by the official Linux NVIDIA drivers.

Lessaj

The GT610 is really old. It looks like the last driver that supported it was 390.157 from the end of 2022. What version of the driver do you have installed? Are you able to install this version?

sambarlick

I have whichever version is included in the latest build of trueNAS scale, assumably a recent or latest version. Sorry, I can't be more specific.