Stop extras from merging with episodes when they are properly named

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

I've had this problem before and it is a pain in the butt to deal with when Emby does something completely stupid and merges extras with the episodes they are for.  I am sick and tired of this constantly breaking and having to go in and split versions apart, especially after the files are named properly.   My current example is for Rick and Morty 

Rick.and.Morty.S06E03.Bethic.Twinstinct  <--named correctly
Rick.and.Morty.S00E613.Anatomy.of.a.Scene.Bethic.Twinstinct <--should be correct name as S00 is Extras and E6xx is for season 6
Rick.and.Morty.S00E623.Inside.Bethic.Twinstinct <-- same as above.  S00 is for extras and E6xx is for season 6

All got tied into S06E03 and every other episode for this season had the same thing if there were any extras for them.  Why in the heck is this happening still?  How do I remove this incredibly stupid option that screws up everything as users are no where near smart enough to understand that they need to pick a version of the show that they want to watch.  Why do I still have to go through my shows and ensure that the server hasn't done something so infuriatingly stupid.  To top it off, the extras are even in an Extras folder so there is absolutely no reason for them to be merging them into 1 option.

HI, just so we're clear, this naming:

S00E613

Is going to result in season 0, episode # 613. 

That's strange that they got grouped though. The only reason why that could happen is if they all got the same episode number somehow.

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Rick.and.Morty.S06E03.Bethic.Twinstinct  <--named correctly
Rick.and.Morty.S00E613.Anatomy.of.a.Scene.Bethic.Twinstinct <--should be correct name as S00 is Extras and E6xx is for season 6
Rick.and.Morty.S00E623.Inside.Bethic.Twinstinct <-- same as above.  S00 is for extras and E6xx is for season 6

To top it off, the extras are even in an Extras folder

And if you put those episodes into Season 0 instead of Extras folder (as the naming you're using is actually used for Specials, not extras), does same (merging) occur? 

RanmaCanada

I have split them apart and they are showing up in the "specials" folder and in the season folder still.  They have not merged, but they are also not respecting their naming and are instead stealing the name from the episode they think they are.

The naming format I've used is what I use for anime for NC openings and endings, as well as other "extras" and my anime library had no problems respecting this (I haven't checked it since this has happened so I probably should).  I've talked about it before where we found the solution for anime extras like openings and closings was to use S00Exxx for openings and endings and what not, where xxx would be the season in the hundreds and the number of extras would be the rest, so opening for season 1 would be S00E100 and so on.  

image.png.3faff07b66ebb6dd4d38494fe17f491c.png

I have not tried putting them in a season 0 folder as I feel I should not have to as it should respect the naming, as well as not thinking it's the freaking episode in question.

Why do you think they're not respecting the naming? What season are they showing in?

Did you update them with the correct episode numbers in the metadata editor?

Have you compared your file naming to our tv naming guide?

TV Naming

rbjtech

Do the specials maybe have 'Specials Episode' metadata - that is telling them which Season to show in ?    

image.png.005bc37989c7b0ab01e64ca1943a1f1b.png

If it does, I'm not sure how it would have got there - as there are no 'specials' with numbers this high - there are 187 'specials' on tvdb for example .. ?

• Agree 1

RanmaCanada

@LukeAfter I split them apart in Emby and physicaly moved them to the extras folder I told the server to replace all metadata for the files in this show.  The picture above is from Season 6, showing that the "specials" or "extras" are still being thought as being the episode that they are the extras for.  They also show up in the specials folder.  They are named as in my previous post

Rick.and.Morty.S06E03.Bethic.Twinstinct 
Rick.and.Morty.S00E613.Anatomy.of.a.Scene.Bethic.Twinstinct 
Rick.and.Morty.S00E623.Inside.Bethic.Twinstinct

So there is absolutely no reason for the files that are S00 to be in Season 06. The naming convention is 100% correct as S00 should put them in the specials folder, not the season folder.

@rbjtech, yes it appears the metadata is being populated incorrectly even after I've told the server to replace all metadata.  It appears that once again I need to go in and manually edit every single file to resolve this problem that constantly happens.  I could also try deleting all the .nfo files as it seems Emby just doesn't have a clue on how to deal with this problem.

image.png.a166aca30110e4ebf5603ffe2c33c899.png

pwhodges

You have the season and episode numbers in the metadata, which determine where it appears.  Just blank those entries and the problem should resolve.

Paul

rbjtech
Just now, pwhodges said:

You have the season and episode numbers in the metadata, which determine where it appears.  Just blank those entries and the problem should resolve.

Paul

I think the issue Paul is the OP didn't put them there, emby did - so the question is why ... 

tedfroop21
2 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

After I split them apart in Emby and physicaly moved them to the extras folde

RanmaCanada
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

As @rbjtechstates, I never put that information there at all, so I want to know why Emby has decided that S00E6xx belongs in the Season 6 folder and why it is not respecting the naming.  This is what we've decided to use for anime with multiple seasons and creditless openings and endings, and I have no issues in my massive anime library.

pwhodges

Actually, later today I had the exact same thing happen to me with some specials.  The problem is that TVDB gives them positions in the season corresponding to when they were published (not broadcast - the series was not for TV), even though they do not form part of the series itself, so Emby merges them with the season.  But also Emby puts them in two places! - they show up in the Specials folder, but also in the Season 1 folder.

What I want back is the option not to put specials into the sequence of normal episodes.  We used to have that option and they've taken it away at the same time as making it more necessary.

Paul

• Agree 1

jaycedk

@pwhodgesI have seen this to.

And this is only 1 example, I'm seeing it all over my Serie folder in 4.8. 

This is with the series Cobra Kai fore some reason Emby decided that this Teaser should a speciel named The Karate Kid.

/Mediaunraid/Series/Cobra Kai (2018) [TvdbId=332858]/other/The Karate Kid is all grown up (Teaser).mkv

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - TheTVDB.com which is the movie.

The file is placed under 

/Mediaunraid/Series/Cobra Kai (2018) [TvdbId=332858]/other/

And in 4.7 we have the option to turn this off.

When 4.8 goes stabil, I will have to fix 1000's of extras, like this. 

And that will be a manuel fix 🤢 

jaycedk

But I would still want this added back.

6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

option not to put specials into the sequence of normal episodes.

This are identified right.

But i do not want them showing in seasons.

image.thumb.png.f192ff735b70f3fbeb6c09870aa0d20a.png

So again its going to be a manuel edit it all by hand 😢🤢

This file is located in /Mediaunraid/Series/Cobra Kai (2018) [TvdbId=332858]/featurettes/

And are not in season 1 folder.

Edited by jaycedk

jaycedk

Here is another that's misplaced

/Mediaunraid/Series/Cobra Kai (2018) [TvdbId=332858]/other/No mercy for Miguel (Teaser).mkv

Its identified as 

image.png.38f0568da943caa2d6a640ef5ced78ea.png

And again its not in my season folder.

But in my others folder
image.png.960df2234d5bf811d24f657f74383201.png

image.png.acf09e9d930f4fdf4a535d45d8d63f40.png

I know that it's has parts on the episode name, as the one its getting identified with, but it has no s02e10 in the name.

Can we please have back, the option to not include extras in seasons.

Junglejim

Ok I'm officially confused.. 😕

I've always used the advanced library setting for specials and it works great for me. It places the special into the season perfectly..

Screenshot_2023-12-01_20-47-47.png.4a75cd50e5a8441b9fc62f164ae222dc.png

That's with the S00Exx naming convention in a folder named specials.

How the hell is emby picking up on a folder named "other" and a episode with no "SxxExx"..... 😆

Am I right in guessing that this is beta dogshit?

Edited by Junglejim

jaycedk

Ha ha I'm seeing the same behavior on 4.7 

1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

Here is another that's misplaced

/Mediaunraid/Series/Cobra Kai (2018) [TvdbId=332858]/other/No mercy for Miguel (Teaser).mkv

Its identified as 

image.png.38f0568da943caa2d6a640ef5ced78ea.png

And again its not in my season folder.

But in my others folder
image.png.960df2234d5bf811d24f657f74383201.png

image.png.acf09e9d930f4fdf4a535d45d8d63f40.png

I know that it's has parts on the episode name, as the one its getting identified with, but it has no s02e10 in the name.

Can we please have back, the option to not include extras in seasons.

Junglejim
2 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

@Junglejimit is beta dog"#".
In beta, the advanced library setting for specials is gone.

So I can't disable it.

But there not even specials!! They are not in a folder named specials/season 0, or even have any season number naming (S00Exx)????

What the hell is going on??

rbjtech

This is probably the result of Luke trying to accomodate more 'non standard' naming - my personal view is stick to the naming 'standard' that has been in place for YEARS and working perfectly well.    If users are too lazy to name/rename files to a reasonable standard - then without meaning to sound harsh - that's their issue - not embys. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 3

Junglejim
5 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Exactly my point, it's annoying.

And specials in season is disabled on 4.7.

I'm running 4.7.14 and haven't noticed any change. I must admit I haven't scraped a show special in a while.. but I still get the specials show in the season properly..

Screenshot_2023-12-01_20-47-47.png.2f54dd86dabb9cf7ed8c2d959bb15dcb.png

Screenshot_2023-12-01_21-28-01.png