Tizen version 1.6.7 issue with x264 media

tattler

tattler

I have a Samsung UE70RU7092UXXH. It will crash within 1-2 minutes. I think you should try it with my sample file? I can upload it somwhere if you like?

1 hour ago, tattler said:

I have a Samsung UE70RU7092UXXH. It will crash within 1-2 minutes. I think you should try it with my sample file? I can upload it somewhere if you like?

Yes, I think you might need to.  It works fine for me. Can you add to DropBox, OneDrive or another service and send me a download link via PM?  Thanks

29 minutes ago, tattler said:

Hi @SamESjust PMed you with the download link to the test movie file.

I've got your sample, but still can't reproduce your issue.

I wonder if there is a corrupt subtitle file in the server cache.  The trouble is it's not easy to find.  In the servers 'cache/subtitles' folder there is a series of folders that contain the cache files.  Unfortunately there is no easy way to locate the right file, so you have two options.  

Either:

1. Delete all the cache files by clearing out the contents of the 'cache/subtitles' folder then repeat your test
  2. Rename the 'cache/subtitles' folder, then test playback.  Once you've completed the test, delete the newly created 'cache/subtitles' folder and then restore the original folders name.

There isn't really a downside to deleting the 'cache/subtitles' folder, it just means that embedded subs in media will need to be extracted again on next playback which might cause a short delay in them being displayed.

Does the TV have the latest firmware from Samsung?

tattler

Hi @SamESI did as you told: renamed the subtitle folder and replayed the movie with Chinese subtitle. Nope. It still crashed.... so very strange. I am using Emby Tizen version 1.6.7.

I can still reproduce the crash even with a brand new subtitle. This is getting more and more interesting... I checked the TV, there is no new firmware update. It is a TV from 2019... firmware is 1406.

7 hours ago, tattler said:

Hi @SamESI did as you told: renamed the subtitle folder and replayed the movie with Chinese subtitle. Nope. It still crashed.... so very strange. I am using Emby Tizen version 1.6.7.

I'm specifically referring to the folder in /config/cache/subtitles, not the subtitles folder with the media.  

Emby translates the srt and any embedded subs to vtt on first playback and stores them in /config/cache/subtitles under a set of cryptic folders.  For future playbacks, it always uses the cached vtt version.

If the vtt cached file is corrupted, it can cause you to have issues.  I'm beginning to think that this is not your problem, but it is an easy one to rule out.

There is another curious/unusual thing I have noticed in your log files.  We retrieve the TV model name/number from the TV and include it in the log messages and the dashboard on the server.  In your logs and earlier screenshot, it just has the default name of 'Samsung Smart TV', but I expected it to say something like 'Samsung Smart TV (UE70RU7092)'.  I don't ever recall seeing this issue before, so it makes me think something is not working correctly on your model.  It may not be related, but I find it odd.

If you are only having issues with this one file then there is probably not much we can do about it, but it you are having other issues as well then it may need more investigation.

Have you tried refreshing metadata for that media item on the server?

tattler
9 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm specifically referring to the folder in /config/cache/subtitles, not the subtitles folder with the media.  

Yes @SamESI did rename that folder in de Emby app folder. 

9 hours ago, SamES said:

There is another curious/unusual thing I have noticed in your log files.  We retrieve the TV model name/number from the TV and include it in the log messages and the dashboard on the server.  In your logs and earlier screenshot, it just has the default name of 'Samsung Smart TV', but I expected it to say something like 'Samsung Smart TV (UE70RU7092)'.  I don't ever recall seeing this issue before, so it makes me think something is not working correctly on your model.  It may not be related, but I find it odd.

Yes I can recall that I saw the TV model name appearing in the Dashbaord Playing section. But I don't see it now indeed. When I looked at my Devices list I see the TV model number from the official Samsung Tizen client (official from Samsung App Store) version 1.2.6:

image.png.260960bf448ad8f51e1c9457311dde9d.png

But not for the USB installed version 1.6.7:

image.png.c00abc7cabd6e985130bf0c712a50011.png

9 hours ago, SamES said:

If you are only having issues with this one file then there is probably not much we can do about it, but it you are having other issues as well then it may need more investigation.

I don't mind if this strange issue cannot be resolved. So far I have only seen this happening on this particular combination video and subtitle. I ran Plex for several years and never encountered such issue before either. It can be a daunting task to resolve something you cannot reproduce on your side.

9 hours ago, SamES said:

Have you tried refreshing metadata for that media item on the server?

Yes I have done this multiple times. Even Emby server was rebooted to run the test.

Thanks for the clarification.  I would suggest then that we leave this as a curiosity and hope that you have no further issues.  There are some rare files that for some reason won't play correctly, it may just be an odd setting in the way it was encoded.  I couldn't reproduce this with your sample, but there are variations across model/years.  I assume the sample file still crashes for you as well.

tattler

Hi Sam, I appreciate your efforts so far to try to pinpoint the real issue. Sure, we can leave it this way as only this media causes issues within Emby. Hopefully this issue is not widespread. Up until now I have no issues with other media.

Yes, I can still reproduce the crash with the sample file 😉 

• Thanks 1