Tizen version 1.6.7 issue with x264 media

tattler

tattler

Hi I have a very strange issue with one media crashing Emby on Samsung TV with version 1.6.7 (sideloaded with USB install). It manifested only with this particular movie and not other media. Emby direct played it but the remote buttons did not work during playback. I could not stop or bring up the OSD menu. After a few minutes, Emby app crashed. Even though the app was not running, on Emby server Dashboard I could still see the streaming session still running. If I played the same movie in a browser (direct play or transcoding), it was fine. So the problem is not with the media. I suspect the Tizen version has the issue.

I have attached some screenshots and logs. Can someone from the support team please take a look at this odd issue? Thanks in advance!

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-remux-085b019b-f95c-4db1-9214-19d87cd4df5f_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-dd024b84-909c-4bcc-9eab-69402b41e484_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-c98e7e3c-942e-4130-bda5-c0f35ec9d195_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-bab85333-6d43-455f-9bb8-5ef1422d0e90_1.txt

Screenshot from 2023-11-24 23-23-32-2.png

Screenshot from 2023-11-24 23-55-03.png

Edited by tattler

Those log files are from chrome playback, not Tizen

From your screenshot, it looks like it is transcoding audio so there should be related ffmpeg log

My guess is that the server is not able to keep up up with the audio conversion (what are your server/nas) specs or possibly the TV doesn’t like this file being deliver via HLS which is required when the audio is transcoded

My recommendation would be to avoid audio tracks not supported by you TV (TrueHD, DTS) so that you can avoid any transcoding  If one exists, select a DD+, ac3 or other supported formatted before playback

You won’t lose anything as the server is converting to ac3 anyway

tattler

Hi @SamESthank you for your response. I appreciate it!

That is strange about the log files. I restarted Emby to run the test. So they should only contain playback information from Tizen app. These should be the log files from Tizen playback. Or is there a log file in the Tizen app? Please advise.

There should be ffmpeg remux logs on the server specifically for the Tizen playback. When you open the ffmpeg logs you should see in the top few lines which playback device it relates to. Take note of the time when you run the test name check the log file times. Restarting the server is good for clearing the server log, but for ffmpeg logs a new one is always created for each playback transcode or remux  attempt so restarting the server is not so important. 

tattler

Ah okay @SamESmy bad I uploaded the wrong ones. I've got them now. Pls see the attached logs. Hopefully you can find something useful to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance!

ffmpeg-remux-4e47bb6b-7066-427d-9145-dc6207d7d93f_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-ef78ad93-048b-4d3d-bd36-8e291a2c9961_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-a24b4277-300c-4263-a697-c898c0243e46_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-64d831a6-2336-49d8-97e5-39e69b38bec7_1.txt

Thanks. I can’t see anything obvious in the logs. It does sound like it is causing the player to crash based on your symptoms. 

One question, prior to it crashing, can you show the OSD and do all the controls work?   Is it only when it crashes that it stops working?  

Does it always stop at the same place or are the crashes very random?  What if you start the movie at a time after where it crashes?  Does it then play ok or does it crash again?  Is it always after the same amount of minutes playback that it crashes?

FrostByte

Also, did you try an alternate audio track which is compatible like SamES mentioned earlier?  Would help if it has something to do with the conversion process of DTS-HD.

• Like 1

tattler

Hi when the movie starts, the OSD controls do not work anymore. It is always the same place in the movie. Once it starts, I am like waiting for it to crash 😉 And I cannot go back to where it crashes, the movie will start from the beginning.

@FrostByteit's not possible to choose another audio track because HD MA is the only audio track available with the movie unfortunately... ;-(

• Like 2

FrostByte
1 minute ago, tattler said:

Hi when the movie starts, the OSD controls do not work anymore. It is always the same place in the movie. Once it starts, I am like waiting for it to crash 😉 And I cannot go back to where it crashes, the movie will start from the beginning.

@FrostByteit's not possible to choose another audio track because HD MA is the only audio track available with the movie unfortunately... ;-(

Roger, well hopefully @SamES will find something.  Either way it preferably wouldn't crash even if it struggled converting.

• Like 1

tattler

This is a tough one when the app crashed on itself unexpectedly. I want to help find out why this particular media will crash the Tizen app. Any info you need please don't hesitate to ask:-)

• Like 1

If it is just one file then it's possible that there is a corruption with the file, but you did mention it plays fine in Chrome browser.  The TV player can be a less tolerant to errors than a browser so it may still be the case.

Can you try playing the file with an AC3 file?  I know this language won't suit you but I'm interested to see if when you allow it to DirectPlay without any transcoding does it still crash?

tattler

I can confirm that AC3 file with other films no crahes with the app. Have numerous movies with core AC3 sound without issues so far. Unfortunately this particular file does not have AC3 stream so I cannot test it. 

How can we resolve this issue?

17 minutes ago, tattler said:

I can confirm that AC3 file with other films no crahes with the app. Have numerous movies with core AC3 sound without issues so far. Unfortunately this particular file does not have AC3 stream so I cannot test it. 

How can we resolve this issue?

HI, sometimes we can't if it's the Samsung video player causing the crash. But we can report it to them. Can you provide a sample file for testing?

tattler

Hi @Lukeyes but how can I do that? What tool do you recommend? I use Linux so am comfortable with commandline. 

Ah so the issue is not with the Emby app but the internal media player from Samsung? Maybe add an option as workaround to use external video player on Tizen? This could be a quicker temp fix than the official one?

FrostByte

See if this tutorial helps.  It's written for Windows, but there are different OS versions, and they all have cli interface.

Edit: once you have a sample, test it to make sure it errors and then PM a link once it's shared.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

tattler

Hi @FrostByteI tried to create a sample file but when I tested it, the problem is not there. The video plays smoothly though. I also tried to disable compression for the video when creating it, the file still plays fine. I don't know how to "remux". All I see in mkvtoolnix is the button Multiplexing.

So how can I create a 1 to 1 test file from the original file without touching any headers of whatsoever?

• Like 1

Since you're using MkvToolnix, can you try this simple test?

• Open the affected file in MkvToolnix
  • Make sure all tracks, chapters and tags are selected
  • Select an output filename and location
  • Start remuxing

Don't try and split or modify the file with any other options.  What this will do is copy all the tracks unmodified into a new container/file.  Please test this and see if it fixes the issue.

I've seen this issue previously where there are issues with the header and rewriting it in a new file resolves the issue.  If this fixes the issue then you're good to go.  Based on your test above it sounds like it will, although I'm a little surprised as I would have thought that any issues with the header would have been eliminated when the server transcoded the audio as it will effectively remove the container.  Sometimes these things are just a mystery.

tattler

Yeah I am just doing it now... to remux it to a new file without changing any quality. I only selected No compression option. The new file is being copied to my NAS now and I will test it once the copy is completed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tattler said:

Yeah I am just doing it now... to remux it to a new file without changing any quality. I only selected No compression option. The new file is being copied to my NAS now and I will test it once the copy is completed.

Let us know how you go.  I don't actually think the compression option will change anything.  Ideally it would be good to test without any modification of the tracks, but if you find something that fixes your problem then all good.

tattler

I found the culprit: it is the external Chinese subtitle that causes the crash. As soon as I selected the external Chinese subtitle, the OSD menu does not work anymore and soon after that the app crashed. The streaming session would go zombie (I could see the streaming session still running in Dashboard). It will be killed after a while.

I have turned on debug for the log and attached it here. I also tested another movie with an external Chinese srt subtitle and it played fine. Hope this will fix the strange behaviour. I also included the srt subtitle for troubleshooting.

ffmpeg-remux-9f5a6d8a-5249-400e-aee4-cf42b5022a1b_1.txt

Hero (2002) Directors Cut [imdb-tt0299977][Remux-1080p][DTS-HD MA 6.1][AVC]-FraMeSToR.zh.default.srt

Edited by tattler
  • Like 1

OK, so you are confident now that it only crashes when you apply the Chinese subtitles.  Correct?

tattler

Yes I can confirm the video + Chinese srt subtitle combi will crash Emby. I tested with a brand new downloaded Chinese Traditional subtitle, it still crashes. With English subtitle it plays  however without any issue. Very strange.

I still have the remuxed testfile in bin ... if you want it to test please let me know. Thanks!

What model Samsung TV is this on?  How long would I need to watch before it should crash?