45 Device (Lifetime) Gone?

Shattered

On 12/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, Chillout said:

There could be better transparency on how the device limit works. 

I'm assuming the limit is, 25 devices being used at the same time

HI.  Have you seen this?

Is there a limit to Emby Premiere?

Which answers your question:

• The limit is a device limit NOT a concurrent connection limit.

bcondemi

The licence is for one server only right?

If I want to run 2 different servers.(2 different names)..Can I do that on one machine? (is that possible) or do i have to run one server per machine.therefore requiring 2 licences?

TY

2 hours ago, bcondemi said:

The licence is for one server only right?

You can use the same key on multiple servers (like one test one and one production one) but the device limit counts across both servers.

pwhodges

You can run multiple servers simultaneously on one machine, so long as Emby is set up with different ports to avoid conflict.  For external access you can either set up multiple port maps or use a reverse proxy to give them different names even on the same port.

Paul

On 12/16/2023 at 1:45 AM, bakes82 said:

but if they moved to a users limit it people would just use one account since you could then have unlimited devices

No they wouldn't. 
Not in a service that sells access to this. 
Nobody wants to see his list messed up by other people. Not even inside families.
You would miss a lot of comfort in such a system. 
You would have to note every episode of a show you have seen separately.
Movies would show up in recommended that you don't want to see. 
Language settings and themes would be messed up.
Who would pay for such thing? 
This makes no sense. A User Limit would work exactly against those people selling accounts because they could not get their investment back from server cost and so on with those little users. And i don't want to make it such obvious here, i already kind of mentioned it above, but emby is just software that runs on your server. You control it and you can mess with it. 
People that have the criminal energy to sell access to such services have no fear to just remove the device limit in the code. And there are ways already now. 
In the end this shenanigans with device-limits is just hurting the honest customers. And this basically goes universally for all sort of "DRM". I mean come on, we all know how this goes in reality.

Edited by Suliamu

pwhodges

Remember that for Emby, it's not simply a matter of wanting to have these controls, but of being seen to have these controls.

Paul

katbyte
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Remember that for Emby, it's not simply a matter of wanting to have these controls, but of being seen to have these controls.

this makes literally no sense with the topic at hand in the context of lifetime vs monthly options for additional devices as they are still selling the option. There are no additional controls here. People who are actually using the product as intended won't want to spend monthly to up their device limit while people selling access can easily afford it - its just 1 user out of many covering it and becomes part of the cost of selling access.

just call it what it really is: a cash grab

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, katbyte said:

just call it what it really is: a cash grab

From what I've read, Emby has done some homework and found that the average home user typically does not exceed the 25 device limit.  I never have, but then my environment is very limited. 

So I'm curious, have you exceeded the 25 device limit in a home user environment?  Remember that the very misleading "Devices" display on the Emby management page has nothing to do with the devices counted against the limit.

• Agree 1

katbyte
25 minutes ago, richt said:

From what I've read, Emby has done some homework and found that the average home user typically does not exceed the 25 device limit.  I never have, but then my environment is very limited. 

then they should be removing the option entirely instead of just the lifetime options, leaving monthly. 

TaranTSR

Initially, I was hoping this was just an error, Having these removed for the lifetime option does devalue the value of the lifetime extended options as this was one of the main reasons I'd purchased and purchased a second. Considering this I did purchase on the black Friday promo - It would be good to honour the upgrade path for users who already hold a key or offer refunds due to this change. The lifetime extended options were really what incentivised the lifetime keys. 

Happy to reach out in PM or via email to discuss this issue if needed. 

To clarify - I supported by buying more than one lifetime option, but having no notice or be informed of the change prior in order to have the opportunity to purchase what we though was an option and have that benefit pulled from us without any notice or timeframe to honour the agreement before the change was ultimately made does not seem fair.

Edited by TaranTSR

TaranTSR
28 minutes ago, TaranTSR said:

Initially, I was hoping this was just an error, Having these removed for the lifetime option does devalue the value of the lifetime extended options as this was one of the main reasons I'd purchased and purchased a second. Considering this I did purchase on the black Friday promo - It would be good to honour the upgrade path for users who already hold a key or offer refunds due to this change. The lifetime extended options were really what incentivised the lifetime keys. 

To clarify - I supported by buying more than one lifetime option, but having no notice or be informed of the change prior in order to have the opportunity to purchase what we though was an option and have that benefit pulled from us without any notice or timeframe to honour the agreement before the change was ultimately made does not seem fair.

I think the biggest gripe here is the lifetime options had Forced you to buy a $119 lifetime license to be eligible for the lifetime upgrades, hence the initial license terms have now been changed after the purchases.

benpicard

I would also like to be able to purchase it as a lifetime user that was planning to buy it.

3 hours ago, TaranTSR said:

e-charge

Morning all
The extended device limit  options were not even remotely confusing. Trying to determine which features within the server config will allow a device to possibly be added to the Premiere list, by manually cross-referencing with the feature matrix, is much more confusing. Could I suggest that the config interface displays a mark against the options which relate to Premiere features (maybe with a green "*" or something), highlighting that enabling it would result in a device being added to the (non-accessible) Premiere list, allowing us to better manage it, and keep it lean.

Access to the Premiere list would also be nice. Currently, I don't think that I've enabled anything for any users which involve Premiere features, and so assume that no device is on the list...but without seeing it, I'll never know.

Just my thoughts.

L

• Agree 2

bakes82
On 12/20/2023 at 12:39 AM, Suliamu said:

No they wouldn't. 
Not in a service that sells access to this. 
Nobody wants to see his list messed up by other people. Not even inside families.
You would miss a lot of comfort in such a system. 
You would have to note every episode of a show you have seen separately.
Movies would show up in recommended that you don't want to see. 
Language settings and themes would be messed up.
Who would pay for such thing? 
This makes no sense. A User Limit would work exactly against those people selling accounts because they could not get their investment back from server cost and so on with those little users. And i don't want to make it such obvious here, i already kind of mentioned it above, but emby is just software that runs on your server. You control it and you can mess with it. 
People that have the criminal energy to sell access to such services have no fear to just remove the device limit in the code. And there are ways already now. 
In the end this shenanigans with device-limits is just hurting the honest customers. And this basically goes universally for all sort of "DRM". I mean come on, we all know how this goes in reality.

Lots of people would pay 5$ and not care. It happens today lol. Shows how ignorant you are.  The device limits aren’t hurting anyone but them share sellers who now need to pay monthly and it doesn’t hurt them as they pass the cost on.

bakes82
17 hours ago, TaranTSR said:

Go ask all the Tesla buyers who bought one day and the next they were slashed by 20k.  You aren’t owed anything. You don’t like it go use another platform like I do.  You crying here isn’t going to fix anything. They need to make money. They are doing it since they got an influx of share sellers from the hetzner plex ban.  A share seller would just multiple dockers and buy multi 45 device licenses for a server and split users across them.

19 hours ago, TaranTSR said:

Hi.  This change was made just before the sale just by coincidence (or convenience, really of updating the web site).

However, we are marketed and licensed as a single-household personal media server platform.  The vast majority of our users should never need anything other than our standard license.  There was no implied requirement by us to provide you with perpetual extended device service for a fixed up front fee.

We hope you find proper value in the product you have purchased - especially considering you got it at a discount.

Thanks for the support.

TaranTSR
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This change was made just before the sale just by coincidence (or convenience, really of updating the web site).

However, we are marketed and licensed as a single-household personal media server platform.  The vast majority of our users should never need anything other than our standard license.  There was no implied requirement by us to provide you with perpetual extended device service for a fixed up front fee.

We hope you find proper value in the product you have purchased - especially considering you got it at a discount.

Thanks for the support.

This is why it was a given that the change was made in order to promote the sale as it was amended further up the page also, which is why purchases were made with the anticipation that the page would go back to how it always had been and we were able to upgrade these licences. 

I hope you can see how this can be taken In the wrong way, the fact of how it was purchased is irrelevant, the point is seems a little misleading and is things like this is why forks exist. Without naming names. 

bakes82
56 minutes ago, TaranTSR said:

This is why it was a given that the change was made in order to promote the sale as it was amended further up the page also, which is why purchases were made with the anticipation that the page would go back to how it always had been and we were able to upgrade these licences. 

I hope you can see how this can be taken In the wrong way, the fact of how it was purchased is irrelevant, the point is seems a little misleading and is things like this is why forks exist. Without naming names. 

Nothing is misleading. Maybe ask for a refund go use Jellyfin.  Or you can file a claim with your CC company that they violated your ability to upgrade.  If you needed 45 licenses you should have bought it then. Or you going to cry that people who bough lifetime sub 10yr ago paid less and you should be able to get that, what about a 1000 device lifetime license?  They had those before too, you should make them bring those back so the share sellers can buy em.  

15 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

what about a 1000 device lifetime license?  They had those before too

Actually, no, we never have had this.

TaranTSR
5 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Go ask all the Tesla buyers who bought one day and the next they were slashed by 20k.  You aren’t owed anything. You don’t like it go use another platform like I do.  You crying here isn’t going to fix anything. They need to make money. They are doing it since they got an influx of share sellers from the hetzner plex ban.  A share seller would just multiple dockers and buy multi 45 device licenses for a server and split users across them.

Even in this case, using a Tesla analogy, this is like buying one and a few weeks later Tesla saying buying the right type of tyres is too confusing, therefore they are now only available via a subscription. 

@ebrwill you be honouring full refunds for lifetime licenses purchased in the last one to two months if requested due to this change? 

katbyte
3 hours ago, bakes82 said:

, what about a 1000 device lifetime license?  They had those before too, you should make them bring those back so the share sellers can buy em.  

they never had 1000 lifetime, i believe it was only the 45 that was ever offered as a lifetime option. 100 was offered as monthly/yearly and 1000 monthly with a "contact us": https://web.archive.org/web/20200812100050/https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

16 hours ago, TaranTSR said:

will you be honouring full refunds for lifetime licenses purchased in the last one to two months if requested due to this change?

As I mentioned before, our license and terms of use are for a single household personal server.  There is no implied or stated obligation on our part to provide you with extended licenses much less perpetual support for extended licenses for a one-time fee.  

The value you purchased with your Lifetime Emby Premiere has not changed.

16 hours ago, TaranTSR said:

Tesla saying buying the right type of tyres is too confusing, therefore they are now only available via a subscription. 

This is a very poor analogy as the item that was changed is not necessary for the normal and intended operation of the product - very much unlike tires.

4 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Nah there was a higher than 100.  Apparently was 500.

Source? (link?)

I can pull #'s out of my butt too... 🙄

Edited by TMCsw
sp