45 Device (Lifetime) Gone?

Shattered

Shattered

So is this no longer available? I was going to jump on the cyber week special for the 25 devices but if there is no upgrade pathway in the future than I'll probably pass. 

• Sad 1

Hi.  We have simplified our extended plans.  Too many people were purchasing them incorrectly.

We still offer 45 and 75 plans but they are just subscription only.

Thanks.

GreenGarbedProtagonist

This is EXTREMELY unfortunate.

Is it still possible to get the lifetime upgrade? 

I am having the same problem as Shattered.

Edited by GreenGarbedProtagonist

Ah what a bummer.  I was just looking to purchase the 45 device lifetime upgrade and didn’t see it listed on the page.  Visited the forums and stumbled across this thread.  As mentioned above, so unfortunate you encountered people who “got confused” by the removed offering.  Seemed pretty clear cut to me.

GreenGarbedProtagonist

For $12 per month = $144 for 1 year...

vs $99 for a permanent upgrade.

I don't think there was a problem with users being confused as the company looking to get more residual income.

I call shinanigans.

• Agree 3

Laura  Maria

Oi eu quero assinar mensalmente o servidor já atualizado e com filmes e séries. 

4 minutos atrás, Laura Maria disse:

Assinar mensalmente

Edited by Laura Maria

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Laura Maria said:

Oi eu quero assinar mensalmente o servidor já atualizado e com filmes e séries. 

5 minutes ago, Laura Maria said:

Não quero criar um servidor eu quero um servidor que já tenha filmes e séries atualizados. 

Emby NÃO é um serviço de streaming de mídia. Não fornecemos nenhum conteúdo. Emby é uma plataforma de servidor de mídia pessoal. Você deve ter seu próprio servidor instalado e sua própria mídia (ou sintonizador de TV ao vivo). NÃO compre um desses itens, a menos que esteja usando seu próprio servidor instalado.

• Agree 1

Junglejim
44 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Emby NÃO é um serviço de streaming de mídia. Não fornecemos nenhum conteúdo. Emby é uma plataforma de servidor de mídia pessoal. Você deve ter seu próprio servidor instalado e sua própria mídia (ou sintonizador de TV ao vivo). NÃO compre um desses itens, a menos que esteja usando seu próprio servidor instalado.

I think so many people get confused with the subscription plans and think it a really cheep streaming service.. :)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
8 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

I think so many people get confused with the subscription plans and think it a really cheep streaming service.. :)

Boy do I ever wish my lifetime sub was for a halfway decent streaming service. "sigh" It would have saved me a good bit of cash. 

• Haha 2

Junglejim
1 minute ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Boy do I ever wish my lifetime sub was for a halfway decent streaming service. "sigh" It would have saved me a good bit of cash. 

:) Yeah lifetime is the way for this great server. I have Netflix and Prime subs which is enough for me. Prime is a yearly sub so that costs like a cup of coffee a month. ;)

I think it's the emby monthly/yearly subs that get people confused. 😕  $4.99/$54 US sounds too good. 😆

Not really affecting me but an announcement on such changes are always nice.
It will be "uncovered" sooner or later and the frustration of the users are garantueed.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GreenGarbedProtagonist said:

For $12 per month = $144 for 1 year...

vs $99 for a permanent upgrade.

I don't think there was a problem with users being confused as the company looking to get more residual income.

I call shinanigans.

We constantly had to deal with incorrect purchases here because, frankly, it was confusing.  However, it is also a losing proposition for us to grant extended devices for a lifetime period.  Not only monetarily but also because it makes it easier for the illegal streamers.

We have not raised our prices in, I think, over six years.  Yet, everything has gotten much more expensive everywhere in that same time.  I think we have the absolute best value there is in a personal media server.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

We constantly had to deal with incorrect purchases here because, frankly, it was confusing.

For everyone that is capable of reading, it was not.

If you already had a Lifetime license you could upgrade to 45 devices if not then you shouldn't be buying the 45 lifetime license as it wouldn't apply to you.
Simple if then in my eyes but I also understand that people just tend to ignore the warning/information messages and go ahead.

2 hours ago, neik said:

For everyone that is capable of reading, it was not.

That's what I thought too but let me just say you would be surprised how many people either don't read that or still don't understand.  Translations to other languages are probably a factor here as well.

In any case, for multiple reasons, we've simplified the whole thing.

pwhodges
15 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Actually, I think this page (which I've never looked at before) is a major cause of the folks coming here expecting a streaming service.  Although it says "personal", there is nothing spelt out to indicate that you need to set up a server (or negotiate with a friend running one) to make a Connect connection to.  It's easy to see how people would think they are getting something from Emby here.

Paul

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
39 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Actually, I think this page (which I've never looked at before) is a major cause of the folks coming here expecting a streaming service.  Although it says "personal", there is nothing spelt out to indicate that you need to set up a server (or negotiate with a friend running one) to make a Connect connection to.  It's easy to see how people would think they are getting something from Emby here.

Paul

Actually, looking at that page, I see how foolish people might misunderstand what Emby does but I do not see how any clearly thinking person would misapprehend the meaning so badly as to think Emby provides content. I also guess that the fact that Plex provides some content does not help. 

I believe that it would help to be more clear on that and other pages but it should not be needed unless people are truly so gullible as to really think they will get free, well effectively free, content. The people in that category or the same ones that actually believe the emails from Nigerian princes and buy lottery tickets expecting to win. In other words people wanting to get something for very little to nothing.

I really have little sympathy for fools that do not research their purchases.

I wish people behaved smarter. Then companies like Emby would not have to waste time changing perfectly clear announcements and web pages. 

But I also understand that H.L. Mencken pretty much nailed it when he said, paraphrasing: "No one ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the public." (A saying that often gets misattributed to P.T. Barnum.)

20 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

The only people getting to that page are already tied in with a server somehow.  But, purchasing Premiere thinking you'll get content is a different problem than the one we are discussing here. 

miangacu

I was going to buy the 25-user lifetime version with the discount, and then the 45-user expansion. However, I see that it no longer exists... I will have to continue with my monthly subscription... more and more limitations on emby.

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, Ninko said:

In my opinion you should have a lifetime subscription option on all your expansions!

while I agree with the "should" I also understand the most 'lifetime" subscriptions lose the issuing company money. The very thing that makes lifetime subs good for consumers makes them bad for companies, with the exception where the company need quick cash over sustainable income. The loss through "churn" is much less than the loss from not having a large number of subs.

I have a lifetime sub and I have had it for years. At this point I am pretty sure Emby is not making money from me and I don't begrudge others wanting the same but it is, probably, not sustainable for a company to give away their service after a few years. The break even for Emby is not more, I think, than 1 or 2 years. At $4.99/month the full lifetime is covered in 2 years so every day after 2 years is a loss for Emby. 

I hope they don't but I would understand if Emby dropped lifetime altogether or doubled the price putting break even at 4 years. But whatever Emby does it is their product and they may, and do, listen to their users but they can choose whatever pricing model they want and we, as consumers, just have to make our choices based on that. 

• Like 1

pwhodges

I recently got a new lifetime subscription, because I felt I'd had the value from my first and so should buy another to help support the future.

Paul

• Thanks 1

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

I recently got a new lifetime subscription, because I felt I'd had the value from my first and so should buy another to help support the future.

Paul

I'm in a similar line of thought.

I've gotten plenty value from my lifetime sub and was considering purchasing the device expansion just to support the project more.

I don't really want a monthly subscription though and have 0 use for a totally separate licence.

@Luke  @ebrWould you guys consider still selling them on request via direct message? (then they aren't publicly listed 'confusing' people)

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

Would you guys consider still selling them on request via direct message?

I don't really want to have to manage something like that but, the current Lifetime price is the same as the old Lifetime upgrade - at least for today...

Thanks for the support.