"This Emby Server needs to be updated" mwsg on launching EMBY app

Uncleswede
Go to solution Solved by Uncleswede,

New to the community - hi!

MY SETUP

• LG OLED65G16LA smart TV connected to home wifi wirelessly
  • LG Emby app (latest version)
  • Nucbox, small format PC on Windows 11 running the latest Emby Server, connected to the router (ethernet), HDMI out to TV, plus a couple of USB external media drives

All was working fine yesterday evening. My broadband supplier updated their router firmware remotely overnight which affected the TV's wireless network connection. Re-established network connection but now the TV's LG Emby app won't connect with the 'error' - "The Emby server needs to be updated"

What I've checked:

• The Emby server version on the PC is definitely up to date
  • The Emby Server service on the PC is definitely running 
  • I deleted the 'old' Emby server entry on the LG Emby App and tried to Add a new server with a (double-checked!) local host IP address and got the same 'error' - "The Emby server needs to be updated"
  • The 8096 port is definitely 'port forwarded' correctly on the router and the EMBY Windows apps and the 8096 port are configured as allowed ib the Windows Firewall
  • Emby works fine using that same localhost address in that same PC's browser but I need the LG App to work as the TV the only device capable of playing/streaming 4k movies without choking

Is anyone having similar issues currently or can anyone offer any advice as to how to resolve this?

Many thanks
Colin

The ISP firmware change, 'may' have reset things on your LAN (your router also likely acts as the DHCP server - ie it allocates local IP addresses) and thus devices may have different IP's now.

This may have also triggered Windows to consider the new network 'Public' - it needs to be 'Private' for the other LAN devices to discover it. 

Hi. Unfortunately Windows still classes my broadband network as Private, so that's not it. Thank you for pitching in, though. 

1 minute ago, Uncleswede said:

Hi. Unfortunately Windows still classes my broadband network as Private, so that's not it. Thank you for pitching in, though. 

Can you 'ping' the LG TV from your Nucbox ?

6 minutes ago, Uncleswede said:

Hmmm... Net View only lists the nucbox itself...is that the correct utility to run? 

Just open a command prompt (type 'cmd' in search) and just type 'ping 1.2.3.4' - where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of your TV.

Hi. I couldn't find the LG TVs ip address in the TVs settings so was using the net View command. Can't seem to find the IP address of the tv Arrgghh... 

4 minutes ago, Uncleswede said:

Hi. I couldn't find the LG TVs ip address in the TVs settings so was using the net View command. Can't seem to find the IP address of the tv Arrgghh... 

you have to click on Setings > All Settings > Network > Wifi > Other Network (very odd decision..) and then 'Advanced Network' .. then you get to see the current connection details.

Ah... Right. I did find that option and successfully pinged the offered IP address but I thought that was the IP address of the router, not the tv (I'm a bit rubbish at network stuff)... 

So, in short, I can ping the TV 

hmm ok - so do you have any other devices on the same wireless network than can connect ?   A web browser on a mobile for example ?

I haven't used the LG App in a while - but have you tried the full URL address, not just the IP - ie http://1.2.3.4  Port = 8096

Also - Temporarily turn off the windows firewall to see if it then connects ?

If ping works - then you have network layer connectivity - so it's got to be a configuration somewhere ... :)

Edited by rbjtech

@Uncleswede What version does it show as your Emby server? Is it 4.7.6 or higher?

Edited by speechles

@LukeWhat version of Emby server is the minimum for the LG app? It may be higher than it is on the Roku...

Edited by speechles

4 hours ago, Uncleswede said:

New to the community - hi!

MY SETUP

• LG OLED65G16LA smart TV connected to home wifi wirelessly
  • LG Emby app (latest version)
  • Nucbox, small format PC on Windows 11 running the latest Emby Server, connected to the router (ethernet), HDMI out to TV, plus a couple of USB external media drives

All was working fine yesterday evening. My broadband supplier updated their router firmware remotely overnight which affected the TV's wireless network connection. Re-established network connection but now the TV's LG Emby app won't connect with the 'error' - "The Emby server needs to be updated"

What I've checked:

• The Emby server version on the PC is definitely up to date
  • The Emby Server service on the PC is definitely running 
  • I deleted the 'old' Emby server entry on the LG Emby App and tried to Add a new server with a (double-checked!) local host IP address and got the same 'error' - "The Emby server needs to be updated"
  • The 8096 port is definitely 'port forwarded' correctly on the router and the EMBY Windows apps and the 8096 port are configured as allowed ib the Windows Firewall
  • Emby works fine using that same localhost address in that same PC's browser but I need the LG App to work as the TV the only device capable of playing/streaming 4k movies without choking

Is anyone having similar issues currently or can anyone offer any advice as to how to resolve this?

Many thanks
Colin

HI, can you please attach the emby server log from when the problem occurred:

Thanks.

Hi. Sorry I've taken so long to reply. 

As I'd been fiddling under the windows bonnet in my Nucbox, plus I did an Emby Server full uninstall which left a persistent entry in the Add/remove apps list, I decided it was a ripe time  to do a clean windows 11 install. 

Did all that, then reinstalled emby server 4.7.14.0 and configured it. Also deleted and reinstalled the Emby app on my lg tv. 

Stone me, the tv app still won't connect 😲 The error is different now - it just reports that it can't connect: it doesn't mention anything about having to update the Emby server like it did before. 

I saw something on the community forum about checking whether the LG TV Web browser app can connect to the home LAN address of the emby server... and it CAN'T! However the lg tv Web browser CAN connect to Internet sites though (eg. Facebook) 

I can ping the LG tv device from the nucbox and I can see the LG tv as a network device on the Windows View Network Computers and Devices 

Someone mentioned that they had a similar issue on Roku using any later version of the Emby server beyond 4.7.6 - could that be my issue? 

Thanks, Colin 

1 hour ago, Uncleswede said:

Hi. Sorry I've taken so long to reply. 

As I'd been fiddling under the windows bonnet in my Nucbox, plus I did an Emby Server full uninstall which left a persistent entry in the Add/remove apps list, I decided it was a ripe time  to do a clean windows 11 install. 

Did all that, then reinstalled emby server 4.7.14.0 and configured it. Also deleted and reinstalled the Emby app on my lg tv. 

Stone me, the tv app still won't connect 😲 The error is different now - it just reports that it can't connect: it doesn't mention anything about having to update the Emby server like it did before. 

I saw something on the community forum about checking whether the LG TV Web browser app can connect to the home LAN address of the emby server... and it CAN'T! However the lg tv Web browser CAN connect to Internet sites though (eg. Facebook) 

I can ping the LG tv device from the nucbox and I can see the LG tv as a network device on the Windows View Network Computers and Devices 

Someone mentioned that they had a similar issue on Roku using any later version of the Emby server beyond 4.7.6 - could that be my issue? 

Thanks, Colin 

Hi @Uncleswedei would suggest checking out our connection troubleshooter:

Connectivity

please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

• Solution

Luke, hi. 

The connectivity troubleshooter didn't really help but made me think a bit more about the network configuration... I have finally managed to solve the issue buy reconfiguring my media pc to a static ip address. 

Thanks for your help 

• Thanks 1