Hardware to make Windows ignore Displayport input switching?

Marc_G

Hi folks,

My desktop PC is connected via displayport to a nice big 4k monitor. It's also connected by HDMI to a small "mini monitor."

The 4k monitor is also used as one of my work monitors (fed by an HDMI cable from my work laptop).

During the workday, the 4k monitor is pretty much full time used for work purposes, and I generally use the mini-monitor if I need to do a quick email check or whatever, but once in a while I need to do something on my personal desktop with the larger montor and wind up using the monitor buttons to get it to switch inputs.

My problem is that when I switch it back to the work computer, my desktop PC bleeps a bit and then resizes windows  that were on the 4k monitor and generally makes a mess of things. I'd rather that the desktop didn't even notice when the monitor is switched away for work and back again. I am well aware this is a quirk of windows that it doesn't have a built-in way to tell it to ignore monitor connect/disconnect signals.  On my main Emby system I have for years used a box of some sort on the HDMI line to isolate the PC from any signals of turning on/off the receiver and TV.

So, given it's almost 2024, is there some simple Displayport intermediary connector of some sort I can use so that my desktop PC won't notice the connect/disconnect whenever I switch back and forth via the monitor buttons?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Marc_G
additional info

Thanks. I will look into options. Was hoping for a simple/small inline thing. If I don't find such I suppose I can look for a higher end kvm. I know for HDMI they have inline dongles that are cheap and easy.