How to add a download device?

mbfubu456
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

mbfubu456

Sometimes, I need to download a media (say, a movie) in advance but whenever I click the "Download to...", the drop down list only shows my phone but not the device I'm trying to download to (and that I'm actually connected to for the download).

For example, I connect with my admin account on Firefox on my mac, choose a media and when I click "Download to...", I can only choose iPhone rom the list. Tried to click "Download" so it might trigger something and add the current device in the Download to list but no joy. Can you help?

GrimReaper

If using Web app, you want "Download" option, your browser will take it from there and download to local machine. "Download to" is used for other Emby client apps that support downloads (i.e. Theater, Android, iOS...). 

mbfubu456

Aah I see, thank you. So if I want to start on a download on my mac from my iPhone, I can't correct? That's what I'm trying to do: launch a download from my phone (wether through the ios app or a web browser) that will be downloaded on my mac. Is it possible?

Also, if you don't mind a kinda related question. Is there a way to get the download link directly? Right now, I need to start a download then get the download link from firefox download page. It would be great to have the download link directly from the media page menu with a right click on "Download". Maybe it's a future feature?

• Solution
GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, mbfubu456 said:

So if I want to start on a download on my mac from my iPhone, I can't correct? That's what I'm trying to do: launch a download from my phone (wether through the ios app or a web browser) that will be downloaded on my mac. Is it possible?

Not a Mac user, so I honestly wouldn't know whether Theater for MacOS supports downloads - though it should, as per Premiere Feature Matrix:

Linux or MacOS (Emby Theater) Free   Premiere
Limited Playback (one-minute only)

Full Playback

Offline Media    
Live TV    

Maybe some fellow Mac user might jump in and offer some insight - or you can install it and give it a spin. If it does, there's your problem solved. 

6 minutes ago, mbfubu456 said:

Also, if you don't mind a kinda related question. Is there a way to get the download link directly? Right now, I need to start a download then get the download link from firefox download page. It would be great to have the download link directly from the media page menu with a right click on "Download". Maybe it's a future feature?

Not that I know of, Dev would have to revert on that one. @Luke

I wouldn’t advise passing around a download link because it contains authentication that could bd used to do other things. At the very least if you’re going to do that make sure it’s a URL generated by a user that has as few privileges as possible 

mbfubu456
1 minute ago, Luke said:

I wouldn’t advise passing around a download link because it contains authentication that could bd used to do other things. At the very least if you’re going to do that make sure it’s a URL generated by a user that has as few privileges as possible 

Thanks for the warning, indeed. I will be the only one doing this actually.

"At the very least if you’re going to do that make sure it’s a URL generated by a user that has as few privileges as possible " This is great advice and I will def do that but how to generate such a URL from Emby?

On 10/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, mbfubu456 said:

Thanks for the warning, indeed. I will be the only one doing this actually.

"At the very least if you’re going to do that make sure it’s a URL generated by a user that has as few privileges as possible " This is great advice and I will def do that but how to generate such a URL from Emby?

We don't have a dedicated function for it, so what you're doing is currently the only way.