Make SRT subs default even if PGS or DVDSUB are in MKV?

Ronstang
Go to solution Solved by rodainas,

rodainas
1 minute ago, Luke said:

I see no problem with his second screenshot. He picked default behavior, which means respect the flags, and it picked the forced subtitle. Looks good to me.

I thought default means use the subtitle file or track with the default tag not the embedded forced tag.

rodainas
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

I see no problem with his second screenshot. He picked default behavior, which means respect the flags, and it picked the forced subtitle. Looks good to me.

I thought default mode means use the default tag, but if it prioritizes a forced embedded tag independently of the default tag is confusing.

IMHO The Forced mode as Grim said could help avoid the confusion with Default mode.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

I see no problem with his second screenshot.

I assume you don't, hence the discussion. Default mode should look at the Default flag, Forced mode should look at the Forced flag, if you go ahead and implement SDH and/or HI flags support those should get their own modes too, as you cannot have single mode to cover all potential flags as their usage often has totally different scope - or make one Flag mode where you can implement whatever flag priority you like and where each user mileage can vary. But current logic is lacking.

20 minutes ago, Luke said:

He picked default behavior, which means respect the flags, and it picked the forced subtitle. Looks good to me.

Why does picking Forced subtitle instead of Default subtitle (and external, for that matter) makes sense to you? To me it's completely senseless. If I was happy with available embedded Forced sub, I'd never go and waste my time to obtain external sub, which I would definitely want to use in that case.

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

OK...my head is spinning....how do I set an external sub to have a default tag then???

Just add "default" between language code and extension, i.e. <moviefilename>.en.default.srt.

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Thanks 1

rodainas
4 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

OK...my head is spinning....how do I set an external sub to have a default tag then???

/Home Alone (1990)
      Home Alone.mkv
      Home Alone.srt
      Home Alone.eng.default.srt or Home Alone.en.default.srt or Home Alone.english.default.srt

• Thanks 1

Ronstang

OK, I just renamed all the SRT files in the test folder of ripped DVDs to *.Eng.default.srt and after several file scans in emby the default subs reset to the external SRT so thanks to all that helped me get this far.....now one more question.  Is there a way to change the embedded subs that are marked default to not default without resaving the entire MKV file?  I really don't want to have to open hundreds of MKVs in MKVToolNix, strip the default flag, save and rename to replace the original.  I would like a batch solution to this if necessary.  I think stripping the default flag of the embedded is preferable as then I don't have to see "default" in the sub listing.

rodainas
9 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

OK, I just renamed all the SRT files in the test folder of ripped DVDs to *.Eng.default.srt and after several file scans in emby the default subs reset to the external SRT so thanks to all that helped me get this far.....now one more question.  Is there a way to change the embedded subs that are marked default to not default without resaving the entire MKV file?  I really don't want to have to open hundreds of MKVs in MKVToolNix, strip the default flag, save and rename to replace the original.  I would like a batch solution to this if necessary.  I think stripping the default flag of the embedded is preferable as then I don't have to see "default" in the sub listing.

I use mkvpropedit via cli 

• Solution
rodainas
17 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I have no idea how to do that LOL

For windows it would be something like this

Download mkvtoolnix and put mkvpropedit.exe in the root of the media you want to modify

Open a cmd there

Execute this

for /R %G IN ("*.mkv") do mkvpropedit "%G" --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=0

for /R %G IN ("*.mkv") do mkvpropedit "%G" --edit track:s2 --set flag-default=0

for /R %G IN ("*.mkv") do mkvpropedit "%G" --edit track:s3 --set flag-default=0

s1 means subtitle track 1, and so on.

Its best to run a command separately for every track instead of all in one, because if you execute the command with 3 subtitle tracks at the same time, the files that got only 2 or 1 track of subtitles wont get modified.

• Thanks 1

Ronstang
6 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Download mkvtoolnix and put mkvpropedit.exe in the root of the media you want to modify

I'm not sure I understand that....I have to put it in every folder containing an MKV I want to modify?  I have over 10K movies.  There is no way to just point to a directory and it does all MKV files in all the subdirectories?

rodainas
4 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I'm not sure I understand that....I have to put it in every folder containing an MKV I want to modify?  I have over 10K movies.  There is no way to just point to a directory and it does all MKV files in all the subdirectories?

No no, for /r is a recursive command, root directory is the one that has all the other subfolders with media and so on. For ex: C:/media/Movies/.

Just run the command from the master directory and the command will do the dirty job.

Ronstang
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

Just run the command from the master directory and the command will do the dirty job.

OK, so I just have to put mkvpropedit.exe in each master directory that contains media folders?  

I also don't understand "open a cmd there" as I don't know how to open a cmd prompt in a specific directory.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I don't know how to open a cmd prompt in a specific directory

In Windows Explorer: Shift+Right click on desired folder>Open command window here.

Ronstang
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

In Windows Explorer: Shift+Right click on desired folder>Open command window here.

I only see "open PowerShell window here"

rodainas
Just now, Ronstang said:

I only see "open PowerShell window here"

That's because your window is set to using power shell instead of cmd.

Ronstang
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

That's because your window is set to using power shell instead of cmd.

Will it accomplish the same thing or do I need to something to change it to open cmd window?

GrimReaper
Just now, Ronstang said:

Will it accomplish the same thing or do I need to something to change it to open cmd window?

Your were already given alternative method to open cmd, maybe you missed it:

3 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Or open the folder where your movies are located and type cmd in the path, it will open the command prompt window.

• Thanks 1

Ronstang

Oh, Ok....I tried that several times and it said it could not find CMD but I had to zero out what was in the path leaving that directory open...and now it works.  Awesome, you learn something everyday around here and I love that!!  I will now try all this and report back in a bit.

Thanks all

• Like 1

Ronstang

That did it.  I really appreciate everyone's patience to teach me this.  There are so many things about Windows I still don't know. Learning things like this make it so much easier and more enjoyable messing with all the things it takes to keep emby running smoothly.  I am going to put all this info in a TXT file on the desktop so when I need to do this I remember and have the commands to copy and paste LOL

You guys make my family and friends who use my one server think I know what I'm doing 😉

Edited by Ronstang
  • Like 1