Remote connections

beefsnack
Go to solution Solved by beefsnack,

beefsnack

OK here is my dilemma, Which I'm Hoping someone will have an idea I haven't poke at, since my cable got shut off and turned back on my server hasn't been working for Remote connections at all, I've not touched my settings at all before this happened and I've done everything I can think of to fix this, I've added rules to my firewall (Both TCP/UDP) on ports 8096 and 8920 My Static Hasn't changed, reset my server, I've tried adding my local and remote IP settings (Didn't work) and I also run plex and all my users are connecting just fine so it's just on Emby side somewhere, So just EMBY can not connect remotely anywhere from anyone, I can connect Locally without a Problem. I've Done Other crap but forgot already been doing a lot
of useless crap that gets me the same results. Logs were reviewed already and nothing was found to have any issues but I'll gladly post if needed, Any suggestions I'll gladly welcome. Also no new firewall blocks for emby were created nor blocked I've checked and re-checked, I use Firefox for my Browser and I run a Intel Core i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 3.19GHz 32.0 GB Ram and I'm on Win 10 Pro
Running Emby V. 4.7.14.0
TIA.

beefsnack

yes I have, Adding the TCP/UDP is in the port- Forwarding, which would be adding the firewall rules, and I added two sets of rules just so there would be enough open ports.

which really is redundant but I was grasping at straws at that point.

Also I've gone through all those steps on that link already, I do appreciate the help though.

Edited by beefsnack

beefsnack

it is on Port 8096, it's default, But I've tried both ports in case something was bad on my end, but it's back to default, everything is back to normal and nothing is working so I'm all ears.

Edited by beefsnack

beefsnack

I just did it again and low and behold Error: I could not see your service on .................  on port (8096)

very odd because I have no Firewall blocking it and I'm looking at a Port-Forword rule allowing it right in front of me, just as I see my Plex server rule which works fine atm.

beefsnack

Pvt, I have to work on it now, something is up,  Emby to Router  or Just a Router issue, because I know I'm setting it correctly I've done it for plex for years and even Emby and it's worked fine until now, now the port isn't staying open and all Security is off and and PF is set, and rebooted Router/modem it still shows closed port. Apparently My Brain has the Dumb.

beefsnack

Indeed, Can't seem to get 8096 to open, installed WSL to troubleshoot some more but for now I'm still stuck, all port- forwarding and firewall and virus protection exceptions are good,  even connected with my cell away from home which was odd but no one could connect remotely via their EMBY TV App.

beefsnack

Still no joy....

I've done everything I can think of to try and keep 8096 open, no idea why it wont stay open Plex isn't having this problem and I have it set up the exact same way in my router/Virus Protection exemptions  as EMBY.

I Think I've talked to myself more this week than I ever have.

Putting Logs in for the Curious, when you see the U-Drive Errors skip it, I lost that drive, I just haven't removed it from the Server yet, need it still to remember What I lost.

any help is appreciated.

TIA

Beef.

embyserver(5).txt

Are you sure Plex incoming traffic is actually getting through? They have a relay feature that automatically kicks in when a direct connection isn't possible. In that case they route everything through their own server and the app just connects through them. Could that be what's happening with Plex?

rbjtech

Maybe show a screen grab of the router port forwarding config - remove any Public WAN IP details before doing so.

In short you need -

WAN/Public IP - Any

WAN/Public IP Port - TCP 8096

LAN/Emby IP - 192.168.1.74 ? (your emby server ip)

LAN/Emby IP Port - TCP 8096

If your firewalls allow the connection and NAT is setup correctly (likely not even configurable on ISP routers) - then any incoming connection from the WAN on TCP Port 8096 will be forwarded to 192.168.1.74

Any remote connection will NEED to use port 8096 - so http://1.2.3.4:8096 (1.2.3.4 = your WAN/Public IP) or http://myserver.com:8096 (if using DNS/DDNS).

Edited by rbjtech

beefsnack

Ok someone tell me how to access the linecode to change the port info so I can edit it, I changed the port to see if I can work around the connection and test the server and see if it would work not realizing how stupid of an idea that was and now I can't bring up emby anymore, Shocker, so I need to edit the dll start up file and change it back to 8096

beefsnack

I can't login to local 192.168.1.74 I was stupid and put it on 32398 just below plex and now emby thinks it's plex, yea I know I'm a idiot, i wasn't thinking but it did work on the remote side, but stupid idea to pick that port i'm just so damn tired of working on this issue

I did try to do a manual connect to the server to gain access through 8920 through the remote because i left that one alone but it wouldn't let me in.

Edited by beefsnack

@beefsnackOpen a command prompt (DOS Window) on your server and type
tracert 1.1.1.1

The first "hop" will likely show a 192.168.x.x style entry.

For the 2nd, 3rd or 4th entry do any of those start with 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.168.x.x?

Please don't post the results publicly as it would show your IP but you can send me a PM with that info if need be. But it should be easy enough to let us know if you see any of those addresses more than for the 1st hop.

BTW, the "x" above can be any number. We only care about the first part being 10, 192.168 or 172.168.

Carlo

• Like 1

rbjtech
27 minutes ago, Carlo said:

@beefsnackOpen a command prompt (DOS Window) on your server and type
tracert 1.1.1.1

The first "hop" will likely show a 192.168.x.x style entry.

For the 2nd, 3rd or 4th entry do any of those start with 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.168.x.x?

Please don't post the results publicly as it would show your IP but you can send me a PM with that info if need be. But it should be easy enough to let us know if you see any of those addresses more than for the 1st hop.

BTW, the "x" above can be any number. We only care about the first part being 10, 192.168 or 172.168.

Carlo

Hi Carlo, If Plex is working locally (canyouseeme.org sees plex's local port) then I ruled out cgnat.  But Plex might possibly have some tricks to make this work for them ..

If the OP is in the command prompt - then using powershell to see if emby is listening would also be a good thing to check.

Type powershell <ENTER>

then

test-netconnection localhost -port 8096

ComputerName     : localhost
RemoteAddress    : ::1
RemotePort       : 8096
InterfaceAlias   : Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
SourceAddress    : ::1
TcpTestSucceeded : True

If the test is successful, then emby is 'listening' for the incoming connections OK.

• Like 1

rbjtech
8 hours ago, beefsnack said:

@CarloThat would be a Negative on the 10 yes on the 192. XXX

Is the 192.x.x.x is on the 2nd line ?

Posting the output (excl the final public IP) would be useful.

• Like 1