Remote connections

beefsnack
Go to solution Solved by beefsnack,

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, beefsnack said:

trace.png

ok - and the 2nd line (that you have blanked) is your WAN IP correct ?

If yes, then your ISP is not using CGNAT - so we can rule that out.

• Like 1

rbjtech

ok - so lets check a few basic items.

In Windows - check the server networking is 'Private' and not 'Public' (despite the logic, Public is a lot more restricted that 'Private' on the LAN)

In a browser - type 'what's my ip' in Google 

Is that WAN IP, the same WAN IP that the emby Dashboard is showing ?

If yes, on a canyouseeme.org port 8096, using the above IP - is the port open ?

If yes, then it should connect...   if not, then maybe @Carlo needs to do a remote session as everything 'looks' to be ok ... 🤔

edit - if you're happy to - ping me your WAN IP via PM - and I'm happy to check access (don't need any credentials, I'm just checking IP connectivity).

Edited by rbjtech

beefsnack

I found it in case anyone wanted to know, and was stupid enough to change their port like me to test and couldn't get back in, here is the way to edit it back to get your Emby back up!

C:\Users\(your system)\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\   >(system.xml)<

• Like 1

beefsnack

No solution, I asked earlier how to fix an issue I screwed up but no one answered it, so I figured it out myself, so I let ppl know in case they do the stupid idea I had and can't figured it out they'll have that solution

beefsnack

and damn if I can't get any of these ports open, I am coming up with these Stealth closed Ports in the router problems a lot though...

beefsnack

I'm about to just nuke emby and start all over again see it it'll just fix it, I might have no other choice, I've had a few ppl already in my system trying to figure this crap out, doing the same crap I've done and going over the same things I've already done 5x

beefsnack

Plex is not going through a proxy nor the local, I got 7 people right now remotely connected as we speak, through an open port which I've checked No idea why it's working and the others aren't

3 hours ago, beefsnack said:

Plex is not going through a proxy nor the local, I got 7 people right now remotely connected as we speak, through an open port which I've checked No idea why it's working and the others aren't

Remember they have a relay feature that automatically kicks in when a direct connection isn't possible. That could be what's happening, where they route everything through their own servers.

beefsnack

Well Plex's port is open and plex is still working and nothing I do is letting me let Emby work remotely and I'm running out of options here, Besides Crushing this router into itty bitty pieces and  letting the dogs piss on it...

Have you tried shutting down plex and using its public router port for Emby? How do you know that plex is actually getting through and that it’s not their relay feature?

3 minutes ago, beefsnack said:

yup and it turns EMBY into PLEX been there done that, don't recommend that one at all.

Sorry what does that mean? It’s just a port number.

beefsnack

Because it shows the port open when I check it it's gotta be my router, I have gone through it a 100 times and done so many rules to let so many ports pass through it it's not funny, and through firewalls as well, Nothing is getting allowed I even shutdown all security and tried it Nothing is getting through this machine, Nothing past this router, I'm gonna need to replace this pile of dung! You might be right on the Plex but it's still showing the port open On plex why I have no clue The rule is in there I set it Myself I should know

beefsnack

Yea, when I used that port # and opened up emby Plex would open up not emby I shit you not, Maybe because I run both but IDK but that's what happens...

That doesn’t mean they’re actually using it though. All you need to do is remove the port assignment for plex and add a new one for Emby using that port.

Or if you don’t want to touch the router just shut down plex and change the local port in Emby server to match whatever the local port is for plex.

beefsnack

That's exactly what I did. and when I opened up Emby on my browser Plex opened up, (Could be because of the UPnP settings in the router) Because of the port change, I can't explain it anymore than that, Plex was shut down and only EMBY was running, Then I had to edit the .xml to be able to open EMBY back up again to get EMBY to work again.

I can't edit the UPnP settings, that part I don't know how. (Locked)

Edited by beefsnack

beefsnack

And another Fail attempt at Modem/router reboot as per Spectrum Techs which according to them say it must be done in a certain way which I've already done 10x, they even suggested it wasn't their problem they couldn't connect into ports 8069 through 8920 and saw all my proper port forwarding rules and were stuck as well, so it's either a ghost in the machine or I need an exorcism to open my damn ports!

Next!

• Solution
beefsnack

Issues is now closed and fixed, as It turns out it was a simple fix, Unbelievable but unaware that I was not even thinking of it and why we have People here to help.

Thanks to @Carloand @Luke For all the Help and everyone else who chimed in with an assist.

And for the Fix.

Just a simple TCP tweak without the IP in port forwarding did it.

• Like 1

It turned out to be a simple port redirection issue that was forwarding unsecured to secured ports rather than unsecured to unsecured or put another way.

Port forwarding needed to be changed to 8096->8096 vs 8096->8920.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2