2 issues with my Emby app for Android TV

Nabukodonosor

rbjtech

@IsHome

Hi - Thanks for the files.

So I have recreated the issue and identified the issue.

The file in question has EIA_608 closed captions (subtitles) in the Video stream - and that is stopping the AndroidTV client from working with the Dutch forced External SRT ( (and English Internal SRT as well actually).

By removing the EIA_608 CC stream - it then works fine.

So for a quick fix - you can run the files though ffmpeg to remove the CC stream -

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -c copy -map 0 -bsf:v filter_units=remove_types=6 "output-noCC.mkv"

However, the AndroidTV client really needs to be fixed to accept/or ignore the CC stream - as other players (VLC for example) work just fine - and display the CC stream as well if selected.

I would suggest sending a link to the files to @ebr (as you did for me) and provide a link back to this thread for reference.

I hope this helps ..  :)

Edited by rbjtech

Hi rbjtech,
Thanks for sorting out the problem :)
I hadn't seen those CC streams in the mkv files, but because the subtitles work on the other Emby apps, I never thought to look for them.

Those CC streams do indeed occur in the nfo files generated by Emby.
And despite the fact that in the nfo the CC stream items 'default' and 'forced' are 'false', Emby Android TV seems to suffer from this.
I will also send EBR the link to the files and the link back to this discussion.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 01/09/2023 at 14:25, IsHome said:

But this problem only occurs with Emby Android TV.
Playing the same files/subtitles with Emby Android, Emby IOS or Emby MAC does NOT give you those problems.

@Luke

Please fix in the AndroidTV App...

• Agree 1

Hi  @Luke
Although it seems to me a pointless action (as mentioned earlier by me and rbjtech: with Emby Android no subtitle problems) as soon as I have a moment today or tomorrow I will execute your request and let you know the result.

9 hours ago, IsHome said:

Hi  @Luke
Although it seems to me a pointless action (as mentioned earlier by me and rbjtech: with Emby Android no subtitle problems) as soon as I have a moment today or tomorrow I will execute your request and let you know the result.

That would be great, thanks !

rbjtech
14 hours ago, Luke said:

That would be great, thanks !

Really not sure sure why you are asking the OP to try this using the Android version @Luke- they have said it works fine already in their original post.  Confirming it again is not going to change the AndroidTV App.

The issue, as I've explained above - is the AndroidTV App does not like the CC stream - remove it, and it plays it fine. 

• Like 1

Hi @Luke,

Here is my feedback regarding the installation of the Emby for Android app on my Android TV.
Yesterday and today I tried to install the app on my Android TV alongside the Emby for Android TV app.
That is despite installing file transfer apps, allowing sideloading of apps and accessing user data on the TV unfortunately failed to install the app.
Even after finally copying the android Emby apk file on my android smartphone to the android TV, the installation of this gave an error 😠
But given the fact that the subtitles (as mentioned before) do work on my smartphone with Emby, I will stop this installation attempt.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:58 AM, IsHome said:

Hi @Luke,

Here is my feedback regarding the installation of the Emby for Android app on my Android TV.
Yesterday and today I tried to install the app on my Android TV alongside the Emby for Android TV app.
That is despite installing file transfer apps, allowing sideloading of apps and accessing user data on the TV unfortunately failed to install the app.
Even after finally copying the android Emby apk file on my android smartphone to the android TV, the installation of this gave an error 😠
But given the fact that the subtitles (as mentioned before) do work on my smartphone with Emby, I will stop this installation attempt.

OK we are working on getting it into the store and then you will be more easily able to install it onto your TV. Thanks.

Hi @Luke

Given your answer, I wonder the following:
- If the standard app can be downloaded from the store, do I still need to install and test it on the Android TV?
- or do you wait to fix the app until my test has been performed on the Android TV?
- or do you follow rbjtech's request and fix the app asap?

Edited by IsHome
some word's missed

7 minutes ago, IsHome said:

Hi @Luke

Given your answer, I wonder the following:
- If the standard app can be downloaded from the store, do I still need to install and test it on the Android TV?
- or do you wait to fix the app until my test has been performed on the Android TV?
- or do you follow rbjtech's request and fix the app asap?

The standard app is usually ahead in development, so that's why if you report an issue, it's helpful to know if it also occurs in the standard app.

Right now it has to be sideloaded onto TV devices, but hopefully not too much longer.

Nabukodonosor
On 8/28/2023 at 8:05 PM, rbjtech said:

As I've explained above, the serbian subs are not in sync with the audio - they are approx 4 seconds out.    MPC must be doing the re-sync for you somehow in real time - emby is not, it is reading the file as is.    So either re-sync the serbain srt's, use MPC or maybe another serbian srt source might have more synced subtitles.

If you use the above attached srt file - emby will then work fine with that episode, as I have re-synced the file for you.  You just need to do all the others ... 😥

So, to get to my problem. :D I found another subtitle, and they are in perfect sync in MPC on my PC, again. Also, I opened the subtitle in Notepad, and checked the times....they match what I hear in the video. What I mean, if someone says something in the video file at a specific time, that exact time is in the subtitle file. So the subtitle file and the video are in sync. And yet again, in the Emby it will only show the subtitle if I choose English, and it will be out of sync.

4 hours ago, Nabukodonosor said:

So, to get to my problem. :D I found another subtitle, and they are in perfect sync in MPC on my PC, again. Also, I opened the subtitle in Notepad, and checked the times....they match what I hear in the video. What I mean, if someone says something in the video file at a specific time, that exact time is in the subtitle file. So the subtitle file and the video are in sync. And yet again, in the Emby it will only show the subtitle if I choose English, and it will be out of sync.

Your subtitle problem triggered me and I started looking. Ultimately, it turns out that a certain type of CC subtitle is present in certain series of files that causes the reported disruption.
And yes, in that case too, only the English subtitle works at that moment.
Fortunately, rbjtech managed to detect that and it only appears (as far as I know) in the Emby for Android TV app.
To ensure this, this must be tested with the standard Emby for Android app (sideloading on the Android TV).
Your device is Mi Stick 4k with AndroidTV and guess what the Mi Stick 4k runs on AndroidTV and therefore also Emby for Android TV

rbjtech

@NabukodonosorYou issue is not related to this thread (which is related to a CC stream as @IsHomehas mentioned) - so please continue your subtitle issue in your original thread or it's going to get very confusing !   thanks.

Hi @Luke

Today I spent some time sideloading the Emby for Android app, and it worked 😀
I was finally able to install this apk version (sideloading) on the Android TV.
During testing, it turned out that, as expected, Emby for Android does show subtitles (*.nl.forced.srt) for mkv files that contain CC subtitles.
Hopefully this information is now sufficient and that the Emby for Android TV app (as indicated/requested by rbjtech) will be adjusted in the short term.

22 minutes ago, IsHome said:

that contain CC subtitles

Hi.  I believe it is only a specific type of closed captions - the ones that Exo cannot or does not see.

2 minutes ago, IsHome said:

And what does that mean for the problem?
That this problem cannot be solved in the Emby for Android TV version or...?

It just means the scope of the issue is very narrow.  I understand it isn't for you, however.

• Haha 1

pwhodges

Of course they'll solve it - but in turn.  They're probably busy solving someone else's problem, or a problem that affects more people.  Scheduling is inherently unfair... - frustrating, I know!

Paul

rbjtech

I've also provided a workaround by removing the CC with a simple ffmpeg filter.

Not sure how many titles are effected, but until the fix, you could also go that route. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Nabukodonosor said:

That fix didn't work for me. The english subtitle was still there.

This fix is for the @IsHomeissues with encoded CC subtitles on AndroidTV.  This is why you should never cross reference threads, as it all gets mixed up very quickly ...