2 issues with my Emby app for Android TV

Nabukodonosor

rbjtech
44 minutes ago, Nabukodonosor said:

You may be able to just post the file as PM, as those links are not valid as they violate mediafire T&C's I'm afraid ..

rbjtech
3 hours ago, Luke said:

@rbjtechwere you able to get the files?

No - maybe a Geo block on mediafire as they were blocked for me.

rbjtech
On 26/08/2023 at 09:59, Nabukodonosor said:

@rbjtechDid you get it now?

You need to make the links public - once I've downloaded, then you can remove - send me the public links via PM if you like rather than post them on here.

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, Nabukodonosor said:

ok - I have the files - you can remove if you wish.

Initial viewing with VLC suggests the file, english subs and serbian subs are all in sync - let me see if emby is playing ball.   brb.

rbjtech

Interesting.

So the serbian srt file is about 3.6 seconds of of sync with the video.  By using subsync to resync them - they appear to be ok (I cannot under serbian, but the start and end is ok .. haha)

So VLC must be using the English embeded track (English Vobsub) and then re-sync the external SRT to align with it.

Unfortunately Subsync does not support serbian - as that would have automatically synced the SRT with the english audio.

The English VobSub's are in sync in Emby - I see no issues there.    So we should be able to use that as a timeline to re-sync the serbian subs ..

Gimme a few mins and I'll find an easy way to do that ...

image.thumb.png.a23ff51123dc08ca721ae4554a69ee1a.png

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

Hmm - haven't used DVD graphical subtitles for years !

Unfortunately, the serbian subs do not start at the beginning, they start after the theme tune.... :(

This means we need to sync the subs manually by the 1st line spoken - @ 1:10.241 is this instance.

Once you have it - you can abort the OCR - you just need the initial line spoken after the Theme Intro.

image.png.c9a42c970297432334cb8ddd55fe331d.png

Then we need to point re-sync the subs (#1) based off that time ...

image.png.febda1149565bf47b1854cde97f91df0.png

now - the the resulting SRT file is now in perfect sync. :)

Attached in the re-synced serbian sub from the test file - check to see if it's in sync - I believe it is.

But it's a lot of hassle per episode to get them in sync I agree - but OFAH is worth it ... ;)

You 'may' be able to re-sync based on fixed time - but that assumes all the titles have the same length 'theme' tune ...  1st line spoken is the only accurate way I can think of tbh ... 

edit - Maybe try another sub source ... haha

@Luke @ebr

Is there any other ways you can think to do this ?   

Only Fools And Horses S01E03 Cash And Curry DVDRip HEVC H265.sr.srt

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

Nabukodonosor

But why would I need it sync or re-sync anything when everything is working just fine when I play it in Media Player Classic on my PC? The sub is in sync with the file. The problem is when I play it in Emby.

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, Nabukodonosor said:

But why would I need it sync or re-sync anything when everything is working just fine when I play it in Media Player Classic on my PC? The sub is in sync with the file. The problem is when I play it in Emby.

As I've explained above, the serbian subs are not in sync with the audio - they are approx 4 seconds out.    MPC must be doing the re-sync for you somehow in real time - emby is not, it is reading the file as is.    So either re-sync the serbain srt's, use MPC or maybe another serbian srt source might have more synced subtitles.

If you use the above attached srt file - emby will then work fine with that episode, as I have re-synced the file for you.  You just need to do all the others ... 😥

pwhodges
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Is there any other ways you can think to do this ?

I'm surprised at the idea that VLC would use the timing of one sub track to affect another - are you sure?

In general, to find the required subtitle offset I use VLC/Tools/TrackSynchronisation to adjust the positioning while playing, and then remux the file using MKVToolNix using the offset discovered from VLC.  If another track is really interfering, first mux without it, do the synchronisation, then remux with the other track again (don't close MKVToolNix between - just change the settings for which tracks to include and what offset(s) to apply, and remux).

Paul

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I'm surprised at the idea that VLC would use the timing of one sub track to affect another - are you sure?

In general, to find the required subtitle offset I use VLC/Tools/TrackSynchronisation to adjust the positioning while playing, and then remux the file using MKVToolNix using the offset discovered from VLC.  If another track is really interfering, first mux without it, do the synchronisation, then remux with the other track again (don't close MKVToolNix between - just change the settings for which tracks to include and what offset(s) to apply, and remux).

Paul

I think it's using the principle that an embedded sub is much more likely to be in-sync than an external one - especially a DVD vobsub.

VLC is displaying the external sub correctly, as the OP says, even though it's technically 4 seconds out - as per my screen shots above from subedit.

Emby is displaying it as per the srt timing - thus it's 4 seconds out....

Maybe emby need to do the same - I think the logic sounds reasonable tbh...

pwhodges

Using the timing for one set of subs with another is simply crazy; (a) sometimes the line division is different; (b) sometimes the subs are for different audios which may not be in sync anyway (when speaker not visible - voice-overs for example).  In the (b) category I have videos with subtitles for the Japanese and "dubtitles" (SHD) for the English dub, also some with subtitles for a commentary audio track.

Paul

rbjtech
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Using the timing for one set of subs with another is simply crazy; (a) sometimes the line division is different; (b) sometimes the subs are for different audios which may not be in sync anyway (when speaker not visible - voice-overs for example).  In the (b) category I have videos with subtitles for the Japanese and "dubtitles" (SHD) for the English dub, also some with subtitles for a commentary audio track.

Paul

Simple way to check - and I have done just that.

I removed the VobSub track - and left just the serbian SRT track - VLC now plays the subs 4 seconds late, the same as Emby.

I believe this prooves VLC is using the internal VobSub track as a reference.

Try it for yourself if you like ... the files are linked above...

Short of using something like SubSync to match the actual words to language interpreted Audio - I think using a graphical based sub and using it's timing is justifiable.  For text based subs, then I agree those could come from anywhere - it would be interesting to see if VLC would use those if I inserted an SRT as an internal sub ...

Edited by rbjtech

pwhodges
43 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Try it for yourself if you like ... the files are linked above...

The files linked above are no longer available, but I found from another source (ahem) the same video file (well, the offset of the VobSub is identical to the ms), and I reverse-engineered your corrected srt to the OP's original offset.

Playing those two files (embedded VobSub, external srt) with VLC and with MPV, the Serbian subs were out of sync as expected.  I could not make the srt subs sync with the VobSub timings.  I converted the mp4 to mkv, and the srt to ass, but they stayed consistently out of sync as I expected.

I suppose it's conceivable that the differences in the files I used were such as to make this difference, but I really don't see what the difference could be to have this effect.  Nor can I find anywhere in the Internet any suggestion that the players might do this.

I would be fascinated to try the original linked files, to try to understand what's happening...

Paul

rbjtech

So I now no idea what's going on, as I've checked again and the original external srt is now back out of sync again using VLC. ☺️

I could re-produce what the OP was suggesting 100% on my first analysis - VLC played the external subs in sync without me touching them.

How, I have no idea - as I can't get it to do that now .. 🤬

Happy to post the original MP4 and SRT file to you Paul if you want it via PM - it's only 140Mb.  (edit-sent)

Edited by rbjtech

I'm following this discussion because I'm experiencing a similar problem with some subtitles.
Also here (Dutch) some (.nl.forced.srt) files are not shown on screen, while an embedded (EN subrip) is shown.
But this problem only occurs with Emby Android TV.
Playing the same files/subtitles with Emby Android, Emby IOS or Emby MAC does NOT give you those problems.
It is clear to me that Emby Android TV has problems with some combinations of mkv files with srt subtitle files that do not happen on other versions of Emby.

And worst of all, it makes my wife quite grumpy.

rbjtech
40 minutes ago, IsHome said:

I'm following this discussion because I'm experiencing a similar problem with some subtitles.
Also here (Dutch) some (.nl.forced.srt) files are not shown on screen, while an embedded (EN subrip) is shown.
But this problem only occurs with Emby Android TV.
Playing the same files/subtitles with Emby Android, Emby IOS or Emby MAC does NOT give you those problems.
It is clear to me that Emby Android TV has problems with some combinations of mkv files with srt subtitle files that do not happen on other versions of Emby.

And worst of all, it makes my wife quite grumpy.

If you are able to reproduce - then maybe provide a mediainfo output on how the mkv is constructed and along with the .srt name.    If possible, a sample of the file with the external .srt would probably be needed to try and re-produce on other systems.  If you are familiar with mkvtoolnix, then maybe just create a 10 second clip of the offending file.

I strip out all internal subs as part of my 'pre-processing' (extracting any language specific internal SRT to external SRT - to provide maximum compatibility with all clients, not just emby) - so I've never seen this issue myself but keen to find out what may be causing it.

Hello rbjtech, in a PB i send you a link to download a set of files.

I'm familiar with mkvtoolnix, but don't do much with it.
I do if present extracting EN language internal SRT to external SRT and translate such file to NL language and after that change extension to .nl. forced.srt
Normally that works without any problems, but recently more and more the external subtitles are not shown on the TV with Emby Android TV.