LiveTV channel collections

warrentc3

warrentc3
14 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, you can create groups of channels by adding Tags to channels. 

Sure, but that's not really the same thing... 

Apart from the clunkiness of trying to use tags meaningfully in the guide view, the "category" of a program has no utility.  

8 hours ago, warrentc3 said:

Sure, but that's not really the same thing... 

Apart from the clunkiness of trying to use tags meaningfully in the guide view, the "category" of a program has no utility.  

What do you mean category has no utility? You can create any arbitrary tags that you want, you know that right?

warrentc3
1 hour ago, Luke said:

What do you mean category has no utility? You can create any arbitrary tags that you want, you know that right?

Sure... at the channel level.... and I've done that.

What I've shared in the first post, is reference to functionality that guide data can be more dynamic, based on the category of the program... not the "tag" aka "Group Title" of the channel.

Would also be great to have some mechanism to hide channels from the Programs view when the guide data presented is "Off Air"

Using tags in the guide view, on anything but a browser, is a less than pleasant experience.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, warrentc3 said:

Sure... at the channel level.... and I've done that.

What I've shared in the first post, is reference to functionality that guide data can be more dynamic, based on the category of the program... not the "tag" aka "Group Title" of the channel.

Would also be great to have some mechanism to hide channels from the Programs view when the guide data presented is "Off Air"

Using tags in the guide view, on anything but a browser, is a less than pleasant experience.

But the example you just linked to with that other software is based on assigning groupings to channels, is it not?

warrentc3
11 hours ago, Luke said:

But the example you just linked to with that other software is based on assigning groupings to channels, is it not?

That's part of it...

The other part is I can filter the guide based on the category in the epg... not just "tvg-group" in the m3u.

Example:

By leveraging the <live> tag and the Baseball <category>, I can display a filtered list of channels to just live baseball.  Would be even cooler if it leveraged the <team> property, but I digress.

<programme start="20230815230000 +0000" stop="20230816020000 +0000" channel="EPG123.96232.schedulesdirect.org">
    <title>MLB Baseball</title>
    <sub-title>Philadelphia Phillies at Toronto Blue Jays</sub-title>
    <desc>From Rogers Centre in Toronto.</desc>
    <category>Sports</category>
    <category>Baseball</category>
    <language>en</language>
    <icon src="http://127.0.0.1:9009/image/188d45b0941ae0eaf4b0d260cab9b3a4d87ce4e66e3ddac86ba9040d72a5b908.jpg" />
    <sport>Baseball</sport>
    <team>Philadelphia Phillies</team>
    <team>Toronto Blue Jays</team>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP04104833.5921</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="original-air-date">2023-08-15 19:00:31</episode-num>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <new />
    <live />
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="advisory">
      <value>Adult Situations</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="advisory">
      <value>Language</value>
    </rating>
  </programme>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 to this. I run Channels in parallel because of the Dynamic Channel Collections. It's super convenient - moreover it helps drastically reduce the amount of channels I need to navigate to arrive at my final selection.

• Like 1