Server Playback Problems after a restore from backup on Truenas

jmail
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I use emby in Truenas and tried to run an upgrade through the Truenas Plugin manager. After doing this upgrade the web portal for Emby would not come up. I tried to roll back snapshots with no luck.
So I deleted the plugin and installed a fresh instance of Emby through the plugin manager. I had nightly backups running through the emby backup manager to a file location outside of the jail.
After the install I recreated the folder location for my media mount (/mnt/Media), then stopped the plugin/jail and mapped the mount point in Truenas to my Media share.

I fired up the Emby plugin again and went through the wizard with the most basic steps, not selecting any media yet.
I installed the Backup plugin, and entered by Emby Premier key.

Finally I pointed the backup plugin to my external file location and restored from a nightly backup that had occurred last night.

In the past when I have had issues, this has worked perfectly.

This time, however, I have blank tiles for all of my media on the home page and clicking to play any of them fails to play. Sometimes giving a no stream available error, others no error at all.
I attempted to map a new library to my media to see if the libraries were messed up. That new library showed all of the movies, but no images and also will not play.

Additionally, the pages do not seem to be refreshing properly. When I click on a Media library it sometimes will show a blank page and also sometimes server settings page will be limited to my user settings.

Troubleshooting. I have tried multiple browsers on multiple machines. I have also attempted to re-restore from backup to see if the restore did not work correctly. I restored from a day prior backup to use a different backup file as well.

Emby is 4.7.13.0 and prior to reinstall it was 4.6.7.0.

The entire reason I was trying to upgrade is because the mobile app told me I had to upgrade my server version. Seems the mobile app connects now, but experiences the same issues as the web.

I could try to reinstall the truenas emby plugin again to see if that works, but wanted to drop here prior to doing so in case there was something else I should try first or there is anything the community could learn here.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 111451.png

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63827435285.txt

I am trying a few other steps with no luck. I am a bit baffled.
I saw in an article to use these steps (https://emby.media/truenas-server.html) for Emby Truenas as install instead of the community plugin.

So I did so. I did not attempt the restore, I just wanted to see if I could get Emby working. So I mapped the Media folder and am having a similar issue. I am wondering if this is somehow permissions, but everything was working before I went down this rabbit hole to try to upgrade emby so it would work with my mobile app. 😮‍💨

After installing using the steps in the emby article, I mapped the Media folder in Truenas and then added the library. Once again same behavior. It will list all the movies, but not pull in any images and any attempt to play says that there are no compatible streams or it just hangs and does nothing. And the UI is not refreshing properly when I click around. I get the new URL in the bar, but then have to hard refresh for it to pull in.

I am attaching logs from the clean install from the supported method that has no attempt to restore done yet.

embyserver.txt embyserver-63827461126.txt hardware_detection-63827461134.txt

28 minutes ago, jmail said:

I am trying a few other steps with no luck. I am a bit baffled.
I saw in an article to use these steps (https://emby.media/truenas-server.html) for Emby Truenas as install instead of the community plugin.

So I did so. I did not attempt the restore, I just wanted to see if I could get Emby working. So I mapped the Media folder and am having a similar issue. I am wondering if this is somehow permissions, but everything was working before I went down this rabbit hole to try to upgrade emby so it would work with my mobile app. 😮‍💨

After installing using the steps in the emby article, I mapped the Media folder in Truenas and then added the library. Once again same behavior. It will list all the movies, but not pull in any images and any attempt to play says that there are no compatible streams or it just hangs and does nothing. And the UI is not refreshing properly when I click around. I get the new URL in the bar, but then have to hard refresh for it to pull in.

I am attaching logs from the clean install from the supported method that has no attempt to restore done yet.

embyserver.txt 29.19 kB · 0 downloads embyserver-63827461126.txt 29.43 kB · 0 downloads hardware_detection-63827461134.txt 122.7 kB · 0 downloads

And as an addl troubleshooting step on this. I was able to go into the jail command line and copy a movie file from the mapped share to a local folder in the jail. I then added that local folder and it finds the one movie, but also cannot play it. So maybe not permissions?

HI, please try refreshing the metadata on impacted content and then see if you're able to play after that.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, please try refreshing the metadata on impacted content and then see if you're able to play after that.

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply. I hit refresh metadata on both the restored instance of Emby and the fresh instance that I installed using the truenas method on emby.media. The latter has a local file in the jail which is not even working. Is there a chance that the FreeBSD version or something in Truenas is causing problems with a new install?

I am running TrueNas Core.

A quick recap up to now:

I had Emby 4.6.7.0 running just fine in Truenas (for a while) and doing nightly backups on Truenas.

I was away from home and tried to connect with my app from my phone and it said I needed to upgrade Emby.

I logged into my Truenas and tried an upgrade to the Plugin which failed, an attempt to rollback using a disk snapshot also failed to recover the prev state. 

To try to get back up, I installed Emby fresh (v 4.7.13.0) from the Truenas plugin, mapped the file system into the jail, and the restored the backup from the night before.

All movies and TV shows were listed, but none have an actual image on them, in chrome they showed the broken image icon. None of the videos would play, sometimes giving error that no stream was available, sometime just nothing. Additionally the interface was very glitchy, failing to refresh based on clicks. Clicking on something might change the URL in the address bar, but the screen would not refresh until I hit Ctrl+R. As other troubleshooting steps for the install, I refreshed the metadata on each library and also rescanned all libraries with no luck. I also tried to restore from an older backup with no luck. 

I came across posts that recommended to install Emby on Truenas from the method described here https://emby.media/truenas-server.html
So, I installed a second instance of Emby as directed in the article. When that instance came online, I did NOT attempt a restore. I wanted to see if it would just work as is. I mapped the folder in the jail, completed initial Emby setup wizard, and then added one folder as a Library. The same behavior was shown, all movies were displayed, but no icons and I could not play anything. To eliminate the mapping and permissions as an issue, I entered the command line of the jail and copied one movie into a local folder in the jail. I added that folder as a second library; the same behavior occurred on that library that contained one movie.

I am running TrueNAS-13.0-U5.2. I rebooted the entire Truenas instance as a troubleshooting step and there was no change. I also tried the minor update that was avail for Truenas to TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3, rescanned metadata after that and still no difference.

I am starting to think that this is related to Truenas/FreeBSD somehow since these are all clean installs. I can do additional steps, debug log, whatever. I hope the recap clarifies all my posts above.

Xor_van_Dorf

What is the installed version of jpeg-turbo? If it's 3.0, then it's probably your problem. It needs to be at 2.1.5.1.

Edited by Xor_van_Dorf

Hi, we are looking into this, but yes, the libjpeg-turbo downgrade could be a workaround for now. We'll get a fix out for this soon. Thanks.

• Like 1

Xor_van_Dorf

@mediafamille

Si tu changes l'ABI de latest à quarterly, tu peux désinstaller la version 3.0 et installer la version 2. C'est encore c'est version dans la branche quarterly.

Edited by Xor_van_Dorf

mediafamille

tu peux détailler s'il te plaît car je suis pas un habitué à touché emby normalement Xor_van_Dorf merci la procédure pour changer l'abi je suis sous TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3 j'ai même tenté de mettre leur béta avec pkg  4.8.0.39-bêta depuis la jail mais les soucis continu

mediafamille

chatgpt me dit de regarder dans le fichier /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf mais me dit que le contenu est bon il n'est pas sûr latest

FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

mediafamille

image.thumb.png.1d740de65eb787710af7de09c41ec0c1.png

pkg: No packages available to install matching 'jpeg-turbo-2.1.5.1' have been found in the repositories

Edited by mediafamille

mediafamille

@Xor_van_Dorf un énorme merci j'ai trouvé le fichier de conf de plugin /iocage/jails/emby-server/root/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/plugin-default.conf merci beaucoup grâce à toi tout remarche

Xor_van_Dorf

Je suis content que ça fonctionne!

For reference, here's the procedure:

1- SSH into the jail.

2- Change "latest" to "quarterly" for the second line for the file /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf

3- run:

pkg remove -f libjpeg-turbo
pkg update
pkg install libjpeg-turbo

4- Restart the jail, should be fine after that.

mediafamille

j'avais tester par ssh et j'avais déjà quarterly dans FreeBSD.conf et en fouinant avec winscp j'ai vu qu'il y avait un fichier pour les plugins 

12 minutes ago, Xor_van_Dorf said:

Je suis content que ça fonctionne!

For reference, here's the procedure:

1- SSH into the jail.

2- Change "latest" to "quarterly" for the second line for the file /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf

3- run:

pkg remove -f libjpeg-turbo
pkg update
pkg install libjpeg-turbo

4- Restart the jail, should be fine after that.

Interesting, mine is already configured for quarterly. Also, it did NOT have libjpeg-turbo installed. This was the install that I performed using the emby.media steps for Truenas.
Am I missing something?
So, when I tried to uninstall, there was nothing to uninstall, and even with this listed as quarterly, when I try to install, it wants to install 3.0.

quart.PNG

nolib.PNG

Xor_van_Dorf

Also, I did not use the script, but rather pkg install emby-server, which libjpeg-turbo is dependent. I've looked at the script and libjpeg is clearly there, so I have no idea how it wasn't installed.

@mediafamilleThank you for pointing me to the nano /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/plugin-default.conf location for the change to quarterly. That seems to be the applicable location for the Truenas Jail when using the install method from emby.media. I changed to quarterly and was able to install libjpeg-turbo. It installed 2.1.5.1_1

I restarted the jail after the install, and then rescanned the library and also refreshed metadata, but unfortunately the same problems are occurring as before. So there must be some other issues at play as well. Since it appears libjpeg-turbo was not installed to begin with, maybe other dependencies are also missing. I don't know how to check for those.

@LukeIf you need to me do any fresh installs, testing, etc on my Truenas 13 platform, just let me know. I can do a little base QA.
Just let me know if I should use this method to install a new one, and what changes to make to pull from a diff branch.

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch master
iocage set plugin_repository='https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git' emby-server

mediafamille

@jmailI did that I put a beta version because when I made an update I put a beta quite a while ago for no reason

pkg delete emby-server
pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.0.39/emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg
pkg install emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg

if it tells you that a dependency is missing you do a pkg install of the dependency then you redo pkg install emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg I had to do that on some package and it worked for you change the numbers on the folder and file to match the version you want

1 hour ago, mediafamille said:

@jmailI did that I put a beta version because when I made an update I put a beta quite a while ago for no reason

pkg delete emby-server
pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.0.39/emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg
pkg install emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg

if it tells you that a dependency is missing you do a pkg install of the dependency then you redo pkg install emby-server-freebsd13_4.8.0.39_amd64.pkg I had to do that on some package and it worked for you change the numbers on the folder and file to match the version you want

I just tried the above with the older version to see if that would work and it told me I needed mono6.8. I installed that, but same issues existed. Then I repeated and tried 4.8.0.41 and now the server seems just dead. I think I will just wait at the point for either an update or for @Luketo provide any other steps that may help him in the dev effort for updating.
Thanks for the help @mediafamille

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are working on updating the package to just embed libjpeg-turbo so that we're not affected by the version that's on your system. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're running the beta server, please let us know how 4.8.0.42 compares once it is available. It will now have libpeg embedded so that the version on your system doesn't matter.

Once we get through the beta build, then we'll look at doing a 4.7.14 stable release to resolve the issue on the stable channel. Thanks guys.