Certain buttons on the generic Windows media remote have stopped worki

Gobaan

Gobaan

Back button no longer works

Channel up/down and "episode skip" forward/backward are not working

windows 10, emby client application

nicko84

Hello,

Back button sometimes opens the left side new vertical menu instead of goes back to previous window.

For example, when you are in a collection and you want to go back to collections list, you press back button of the remote control (the same 
button since several yaers) and then left side menu is opening...so i choose collections again to go back to collections list.

Gobaan

I'm not sure if the previous post is an agreement or attempting to answer the issue, but this isn't a UI problem. These particular buttons on the remote now have no effect whatsoever. Other buttons continue to work as expected. The receiver is flashing, so I know the remote is transmitting They all worked fine a couple of days ago. A remote is my primarily way of interacting with the Emby Windows client, which is a core component in my entertainment system, so this loss of functionality is profound for me.

Gobaan

My remote is now working correctly. I'm assuming there was a fix although, if there wasn't, I'd like to know.

• Thanks 1

clucky

Wait, channel up and down work in Theater? I was told these aren't added? Is this all remotes or a specific one?

Gobaan

I've been using Universal Remote Control models for a very long time. In this case it's an old URC R50 from 2016. They don't seem to be available anymore at prices that make any sense. These are programmable remotes. I don't think I ever reprogrammed the channel buttons in Windows mode, but it's hard to say. I was using the channel buttons in Windows mode to skip forward and backward in an episode list. The d-pad right/left is used for in-video time skipping (which incidentally is still not working well in Emby and behaves slightly differently from the GUI) Eventually my channel up button stopped responding so I switched to using the remote's "skip" buttons which behave the same way.

I just dug out my Harmony remote and the channel buttons have the same functionality. As I recall, I started developing my habits using a remote control with a Microsoft remote designed for Windows Media Center, which is also where I discovered the first MB (pronounced Em-bee) plugin. My 'rookie' badge may mislead.

P.S. It occurs to me that I have two IR receivers plugged in to my PC, which could also affect which key presses get picked up and forwarded.

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 7:07 AM, clucky said:

Wait, channel up and down work in Theater? I was told these aren't added? Is this all remotes or a specific one?

This is now supported. Enjoy.