I have HOSED my emby on synology. How to reset/remove, etc?

sector327
Go to solution Solved by sector327,

sector327

I have used Emby for several years running from my Synology NAS DS418Play and just this week, it stopped recognizing any new additions to the library. I started tinkering, including updating to the latest, and in my haste I removed the embysvr user and the emby_PKG_ user.  I have reinstalled the package 7_4.7.13.0_x86_64.spk.  After install, I have to click RUN to get it going but it shuts down soon after.  I try to run the installation wizard as outlined here (https://emby.media/support/articles/Installation.html) and naturally, it cannot find the server because the instructions say to go to localhost. Remember, I'm using a NAS. So I change the URL to http://192.168.50.235:5000/web/wizardstart.html and I get the Synology error page "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found."

Any pointers on where to go from here?   All of my media is fine under the /tv and /movie volumes. I'm dumbfounded as to why it keeps shutting down or why that setup URL doesn't work. If any logs are needed, let me know and I'll upload and try to answer any questions. 

Info that might be helpful:

DSM version: DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6

Emby Synology package: package 7_4.7.13.0_x86_64.spk.

Edited by sector327
clarify

sector327

It looks like there were some security issues recently that might have put me into this situation. I suppose I could do a System Reset and then reinstall emby. I just hate to go to that extent if I don't have to

sector327

Thanks Luke. For tonight, I'm going to see if anyone replies with advice but if I don't hear anything back by tomorrow, I'll reset the NAS.

seanbuff
On 16/07/2023 at 10:35, sector327 said:

After install, I have to click RUN to get it going but it shuts down soon after.

15 minutes ago, sector327 said:

Thanks Luke. For tonight, I'm going to see if anyone replies with advice but if I don't hear anything back by tomorrow, I'll reset the NAS.

Have you reviewed the recent Security Advisory to see if any of it applies to your install? 

sector327
2 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Have you reviewed the recent Security Advisory to see if any of it applies to your install? 

Yes I reviewed it and its consistent with the behavior that my system is showing. I tried to edit the hosts file on the NAS but I can't save any edits. Even when logging in as admin. The editing of the hosts file is only a bandaid to stop logins from being sent back to the hacker source. Once you install the "new" release, version 12 iirc, then the bad code should be replaced. For some reason, its letting me install the new release but it won't stay running.  My hope is to remove Emby and all trace of Emby from my NAS and then do a fresh install. That's why I removed embysvr user and the emby_PKG_ user. Trying to run release 13 doesn't want to work. Hence, that's why I worry that the only way to "fix" this is to reset the NAS back to the original ship and then set it back up.

seanbuff

What about these steps, were you able to identify if you have these files present on your system?

• Go to the following folder under the Emby Server Data Folder: plugins/configurations
    • Find the file named ReadyState.xml and delete it.
    • Find the file named EmbyScripterX.xml and delete it (if exists)
    • Delete the plugin .dll file(s), which comes as helper.dll and/or EmbyHelper.dll. The primary location of these is the plugins folder under the Emby Server Data Folder

The presence of the above files would be preventing your Emby Server from starting successfully.

sector327
4 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

What about these steps, were you able to identify if you have these files present on your system?

The presence of the above files would be preventing your Emby Server from starting successfully.

24 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

just went and checked and those files aren't there, so that's good. Any other idea why it wouldn't start and stay running? when I manually start it and I open a browser, I get the message "Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly."  Then I get  Server starting" and then I refresh the page to see " 

This site can’t be reached

diskstation refused to connect.

I look back in Diskstation and see its no longer running. 

Edited by sector327
clarify

seanbuff
5 minutes ago, sector327 said:

Any other idea why it wouldn't start and stay running?

Post an Emby Server log and hopefully someone might be able to spot something

sector327
1 minute ago, seanbuff said:

Post an Emby Server log and hopefully someone might be able to spot something

that was my next guess. Are you familiar with Synology by chance? I'm ssh'd in and I can see the logs. I just have to figure out how to get them.  I'll research more and figure that part out. THANKS for your help and patience. 

seanbuff
2 minutes ago, sector327 said:

Got it!  Here's the latest Emby log. 

Great. Okay so it looks like you may have a corrupted Emby database.

Follow this guide (in order) and hopefully you can get back up and running again: Corrupt Database

sector327
5 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Follow this guide (in order) and hopefully you can get back up and running again: Corrupt Database

Sorry to ask but do you have any idea where my database folder would be on a synology? I would think it would be in the log but its' not jumping out to me.  The directions mention looking somewhere with the program running but obviously I cant get to that point to see. 

seanbuff
15 minutes ago, sector327 said:

Sorry to ask but do you have any idea where my database folder would be on a synology? I would think it would be in the log but its' not jumping out to me.  The directions mention looking somewhere with the program running but obviously I cant get to that point to see. 

Perhaps this post can give you some pointers. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/118986-tutorial-ssh-into-synology-nas-with-useful-examples/

Have you tried something like: /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data ?

sector327
23 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

found the files using the find command and deleted them. I'm past step 1 but its still not running.  Step 2 says "

Open the library.db database and run the following SQL command:

PRAGMA integrity_check"

Any idea on how to open a database file from the command line? I dont just run that PRAGMA command from the command line do I?

sector327
3 minutes ago, sector327 said:

found the files using the find command and deleted them. I'm past step 1 but its still not running.  Step 2 says "

Open the library.db database and run the following SQL command:

PRAGMA integrity_check"

Any idea on how to open a database file from the command line? I dont just run that PRAGMA command from the command line do I?

I think I got it to run. hang on

seanbuff

This step will require the use of a SQLite editor which can be downloaded from sqlite.org. If you prefer a graphical based editor you can download DB Browser for SQLite which is available for most platforms.

You have the choice of either downloading and installing a command line version of the tool, or downloading it for Windows for example in order to utilize a UI. Up to you.

If you download Windows version, just make sure the app has access to the library file (or you make a copy of it somewhere accessible)

sector327

Good news. I saw in the instructions (duh!) 

If using the command line tool try the following

sqlite3 library.db "PRAGMA integrity_check"

I ran it and it came back "OK"  so at least the database is good.

seanbuff

Okay, well unfortunately there is something in your database that is preventing Emby Server from starting up successfully.

Short of having any backups you could restore from, how inconvenient would wiping the current database and starting again from scratch be to you? No need to blow away the whole NAS, just the Emby install.

sector327
Just now, seanbuff said:

Okay, well unfortunately there is something in your database that is preventing Emby Server from starting up successfully.

Short of having any backups you could restore from, how inconvenient would wiping the current database and starting again from scratch be to you? No need to blow away the whole NAS, just the Emby install.

No luck.  I even tried to Recover the library.db and got the error "unable to open database "library-recovered.db": unable to open the database file.  

Thinking it just couldn't create the file, I used the touch command to create, chown, chgrp and chmod to change the permissions. still gave me the error. I moved on to the end suggestion of "Steps to Reset Library Database & Load Fresh".  Started the service and again it stopped. 

sector327

If I uninstall the package through the synology package manager, does that really remove all trace that Emby was ever there? I've tried uninstalling, rebooting the NAS and then installing it again and I'm at the same point I am now. 

seanbuff
1 minute ago, sector327 said:

If I uninstall the package through the synology package manager, does that really remove all trace that Emby was ever there?

I apologize, as I have zero experience with Synology. However i'm thinking that uninstalling the app does not actually clean up after itself. You may be able to prove that, by navigating to the previous directory after an uninstall (example only: /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/) -- does that path still exist when its no longer installed?

sector327
Just now, seanbuff said:

I apologize, as I have zero experience with Synology. However i'm thinking that uninstalling the app does not actually clean up after itself. You may be able to prove that, by navigating to the previous directory after an uninstall (example only: /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/) -- does that path still exist when its no longer installed?

I just verified that. No, removing the package leaves all that behind. I've deleted the EMby folder, so now I'll try to reinstall

• Like 1

sector327
8 minutes ago, sector327 said:

I just verified that. No, removing the package leaves all that behind. I've deleted the EMby folder, so now I'll try to reinstall

I THINK WE GOT IT!  I'm going through a new Emby setup now and setting up new users.  I'll update when done!