Emby Server Synology NAS Stopped Running

mateuszkiljan

Trapperjohn61
On 5/25/2023 at 6:07 PM, Luke said:

Did you follow al the steps in the banner link at the top to get back up and running? Are you able to use the server web interface?

Hi,

So for everyone’s reference I tried the uninstall Emby server then reinstall with version 12 server and oils run for about 20 seconds then stop.

I finally got things working what you need to do is ash in tonyou synology server as admin and use sudo -i 

then go to the @appdata directory yes that is spelled correctly, then you will find  one or both files mentioned to look for in the alert. After using the rm command on those files you can then startup the server and it will stay running . From what I can tell even with version 12 if it detects any of the bad files in the directories off of @appdata then it will not run. I assume as a safety security concern. Thinks the only way I found to fix this using the Emby server installed through the synology App Store..

I will also mention if you delete the app and install Docker and install it there from Emby repository it does not have this problem because another server I have does not have these bad files in the Docker directories for Emby.

Emby works great in Docker!

Thank you  @Lukefor you help here I am glad to have Emby working again. 
the only thing I would recommend if there was a way when Emby version 13 started or was installed part of the process would check for the files and delete them. Worse case then people would have to uninstall and reinstall and not have the headache or not even know how to ssh and get around using Unix commands. Or even a separate app/tool that can check for the files and delete them that would be perfect and could keep the current install.

Thank you for the quick response to this security problem and putting out a new version in so many formats

Bryan 

NEatonJr

I use UpTimeRobot to monitor my NAS by pinging the port for Emby so when I checked why it showed down today, I realized Emby wouldn't start and stay running and a Google search led me here. I followed (most of) the notice instructions and have Emby back up and running. Thankfully, my NAS is locked down so tight (including MFA on all accounts) that it doesn't appear any breach (beyond Emby) has occurred... no signs of errant SSH activity, all connection log records can be accounted  for over past few weeks, security scan is clean, no unusual IDs, etc. 

Still, I have lots of questions/concerns:

• Even though I have disabled remote access to Emby for each individual user and also on the Network admin page, double-checking that there are no ports forwarded (explicitly or via UPnP) on my router, access via app.emby.media still works (though only when I have a LAN connection). The notice didn't talk about Emby Connect so is it that it doesn't pose a risk? 
  • There was only one DLL, Helper.dll, no EmbyHelper.dll. Also, they only existed in Plugins, not in cache or data folders. Is there any significance in that?
  • Does the existance of Helper.dll (or EmbyHelper.dll) represent definitive proof that my instance of Emby was compropised? Or just that *maybe* it was compromised? The fact that I do not see any other issues on my NAS, either with Emby or DSM, leaves me wondering what exactly the issue was.

Thanks,
Nathan

FrostByte
3 hours ago, MikeWood said:

Please help.  

I was running an Emby Server on a Synology NAS running DSM7, and the server has stopped. Every time I attempt to restart the server, it manually stops within less than a minute. 

- I have verified that the Emby account has R/W permissions to the directories with my music and videos
 - I have stopped and restarted the NAS
 - I have upgraded to DSM 7.2-64561
 - I have updated the Emby server software to 4.7.12.0 

I even attempted to use the Synology package manager to uninstall the server and then manually reinstall the Emby server software 4.7.12.0 again.

None of these actions has helped.  

When you installed Emby server 4.7.12.0 did you download the one compiled specifically for DSM 7.2+?  Emby server won't start if using 4.7.12.0 for DSM 7

Also, if you can get the logs from the folder I posted earlier. Since server won't start you will probably need to SSH into your NAS to get them just like you did when doing the security alert.

MikeWood
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

When you installed Emby server 4.7.12.0 did you download the one compiled specifically for DSM 7.2+?  Emby server won't start if using 4.7.12.0 for DSM 7

Also, if you can get the logs from the folder I posted earlier. Since server won't start you will probably need to SSH into your NAS to get them just like you did when doing the security alert.

I got it FrostByte 

Thanks 

• Like 1