Emby Server Synology NAS Stopped Running

mateuszkiljan

mateuszkiljan

Good Morning, Emby server on my Synology S220+ has stopped running. I cannot upload a log since I cannot access the server. My NAS is DSM7, I have manually updated the Emby server. Once installed it starts to run and after a second or two just stops. Every time I try to run it the same issue persists. I am novice when it comes to NAS and have a very basic understanding. I am not sure what to do next. Attached are screenshots of my attempt to access Emby and the corresponding NAS installation. 

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.09.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.09.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.10.50 AM.png

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

The big red announcement on top of the page would likely explain the reason - does it apply to your install? 

Edit: Cross-posted. 

Edited by GrimReaper

mateuszkiljan

Not sure, I'm not able to access the log in order to find out. All of this happened overnight. I tried accessing via Terminal with no luck. I am currently restarting my NAS to see if that will fix the issue. Since I am using a Mac, what would the steps be to verify that the issue is affecting me. Can I verify without having access to the Emby server. Again, please be patient, I am a novice and have a very basic understanding of this.

rekit

I'm in the same boat and I read the page linked in the red bar, and I'm still completely lost as how to fix it.  How can I access Emby's programdata folder? I don't see anything in DSM that allows me to see folders and files that aren't shared folders that I created.

mateuszkiljan

I don't believe so, attached is a screenshot of the plugins for Emby and none of the .dll files listed are there. Checked every folder, no files mentioned are listed.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.41.49 AM.png

mateuszkiljan

My NAS did update to DSM7 and I had to update the Emby server however, this issue started I'm assuming since I did not have the latest version that supported DSM7. Since updating the Emby server, the issue still persists. Not sure what to do next.

Edited by mateuszkiljan

mateuszkiljan

The DSM version that is installed on my NAS is:  7.2-64561. The Emby server that is installed is (emby-server-synology72_4.7.11.0_x86_64.spk). When attempting to run the Emby server the NAS spikes to 84% CPU usage, at that point the Emby server stops running. So frustrating, what can I do to resolve this, any help will be greatly appreciated. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.

rekit
20 minutes ago, mateuszkiljan said:

The DSM version that is installed on my NAS is:  7.2-64561. The Emby server that is installed is (emby-server-synology72_4.7.11.0_x86_64.spk). When attempting to run the Emby server the NAS spikes to 84% CPU usage, at that point the Emby server stops running. So frustrating, what can I do to resolve this, any help will be greatly appreciated. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP.

Looks like you can either wait for the patch (4.7.12) thats coming out soon, or you can manually do it. I just did it manually and it was about an hours worth of googling and screwing around with winscp.

If you want to try to tackle it manually, follow all steps listed in this post: 

After you've done that and are able to login to your nas via winscp, follow the steps listed on the page linked in the red bar at the top of the site (https://emby.media/support/articles/advisory-23-05.html#actions-to-take)

Edited by rekit
  • Like 1

mateuszkiljan

I appreciate the help, I am working with MacOS, is there a way for me to mimic these steps within the MacOS environment?

Trapperjohn61

Hi,

Emby server was installed through the synology package center if you stopped it per the advisory. Will it still auto update to version 4.7.12?

In normal circumstances it does auto update.

Thank you for your help,

Bryan

@Luke

7 minutes ago, Trapperjohn61 said:

Hi,

Emby server was installed through the synology package center if you stopped it per the advisory. Will it still auto update to version 4.7.12?

In normal circumstances it does auto update.

Thank you for your help,

Bryan

@Luke

Eventually, but it will take time to get through the Synology review process. Please note that you don't need the update if you follow the guidance related to user passwords. But if you're able to, you may just want to install the update manually from the website.

Trapperjohn61
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Eventually, but it will take time to get through the Synology review process. Please note that you don't need the update if you follow the guidance related to user passwords. But if you're able to, you may just want to install the update manually from the website.

Makes sense

the last time I checked the synology x64 pkg was saving as a file name with 4.7.11 not 12 has it been updated yet?

if I download from the site and install it through synology package center will it update and keep settings? Or act like a brand new install?

do you know when it will be updated in for Docker version?

Thank you for the quick response,
Bryan

32 minutes ago, Trapperjohn61 said:

Makes sense

the last time I checked the synology x64 pkg was saving as a file name with 4.7.11 not 12 has it been updated yet?

if I download from the site and install it through synology package center will it update and keep settings? Or act like a brand new install?

do you know when it will be updated in for Docker version?

Thank you for the quick response,
Bryan

Synology is up now. The manual install will just go over the top and retain your settings.

Docker is on the way up shortly. Thanks.

Trapperjohn61
Just now, Luke said:

Synology is up now. The manual install will just go over the top and retain your settings.

Docker is on the way up shortly. Thanks.

Greta thank you

the reason I ask when trying to connect to the server through the empty app on my phone I sm not able to connect yet on another server I am able to..

thank you

21 minutes ago, Trapperjohn61 said:

Greta thank you

the reason I ask when trying to connect to the server through the empty app on my phone I sm not able to connect yet on another server I am able to..

thank you

Did you follow al the steps in the banner link at the top to get back up and running? Are you able to use the server web interface?

Trapperjohn61
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you follow al the steps in the banner link at the top to get back up and running? Are you able to use the server web interface?

Not yet since I need to ssh in find where those files are located to delete 

the web interface is not coming up

by removing the files the web interface will come up without an update?

Bryan

lokhoi
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi Luke,

I have followed the steps at the top, but I still meet some problems.

Under my synology emby plugins folder,  there's no helper.dll and EmbyHelper.dll at all.

Also I can't find the configurations folder under plugins folder.

I have update the latest version 4.7.12, but the Emby Server still stop running.

screenshot.png

7 minutes ago, lokhoi said:

Hi Luke,

I have followed the steps at the top, but I still meet some problems.

Under my synology emby plugins folder,  there's no helper.dll and EmbyHelper.dll at all.

Also I can't find the configurations folder under plugins folder.

I have update the latest version 4.7.12, but the Emby Server still stop running.

screenshot.png

Can you please PM me your most recent server log file? It will be right there where you are in the logs folder.

mateuszkiljan

Just manually installed (emby-server-synology72_4.7.12.0_x86_64.spk), the Emby server shows "running" then "manually stops". I'm not sure what to do next, as written above the NAS is DSM 7. As a novice to NAS what are my next steps. @Carlo

MikeWood

Please help.  

I was running an Emby Server on a Synology NAS running DSM7, and the server has stopped. Every time I attempt to restart the server, it manually stops within less than a minute. 

- I have verified that the Emby account has R/W permissions to the directories with my music and videos
 - I have stopped and restarted the NAS
 - I have upgraded to DSM 7.2-64561
 - I have updated the Emby server software to 4.7.12.0 

I even attempted to use the Synology package manager to uninstall the server and then manually reinstall the Emby server software 4.7.12.0 again.

None of these actions has helped.  

FrostByte
31 minutes ago, MikeWood said:

Please help.  

I was running an Emby Server on a Synology NAS running DSM7, and the server has stopped. Every time I attempt to restart the server, it manually stops within less than a minute. 

- I have verified that the Emby account has R/W permissions to the directories with my music and videos
 - I have stopped and restarted the NAS
 - I have upgraded to DSM 7.2-64561
 - I have updated the Emby server software to 4.7.12.0 

I even attempted to use the Synology package manager to uninstall the server and then manually reinstall the Emby server software 4.7.12.0 again.

None of these actions has helped.  

Take a look at the link in red at the top of the page.  You may be affected by that.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Are you able to get the server log from the following path?

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/logs