Why does Emby appear to need an internet connection to work on a local

grizlyadams

grizlyadams
1 hour ago, zellonatious said:

That's not true for me. I have a firestick 4k (the latest one) as a secondary device. It has no internet access, and only can communicate with my emby server. It works fine.

I have the same firestick plus my android TV - both exhibit the same behaviour but the browser from both of those devices connects fine when the Emby app will not.

2 hours ago, grizlyadams said:

I have the same firestick plus my android TV - both exhibit the same behaviour but the browser from both of those devices connects fine when the Emby app will not.

Make sure it is connected via your local ip address

grizlyadams
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Make sure it is connected via your local ip address

It is - I don't use any name resolution - all (android phone, Android TV and firestick) are using ip address and all have the same issue but on all those devices, the web browser works fine.

• 4 months later...

So, what was the conclusion on this problem?  That the internet came back I suppose?

My internet went down last night due to a ISP f-up, and I tried switching to my local Emby server for enterntainment, and I encountered a similar problem as explained here.

Like the OP I have a local Emby server in a docker container, do NOT use Emby Connect, run my own DNS server.  Client is a Google Chromecast TV thingy.  Without Internet, I get the rotating circle thing every time I click anything. After a couple of minutes it's like it times out and then appears to proceed ok anyway.   Another problem I noticed is that movies appear to show in a lower resolution, like regardless of saved quality, it plays in SD mode.  

Any idea what cause the network timeouts, and what cause the lower quality?

EDIT. After fiddling around with the Emby client a bit, I changed "Quality" from around 836 Kb/s to 3 Mb/s and then it was good again.  This never happened when it could connect to the Internet, so why now?  

Also, and I realize that is a Google Chromecast TV thingy problem, it keeps popping up "No internet connection" every few minutes, very annoying. Any way to stop that?

Edited by renecd

2 hours ago, renecd said:

So, what was the conclusion on this problem?  That the internet came back I suppose?

My internet went down last night due to a ISP f-up, and I tried switching to my local Emby server for enterntainment, and I encountered a similar problem as explained here.

Like the OP I have a local Emby server in a docker container, do NOT use Emby Connect, run my own DNS server.  Client is a Google Chromecast TV thingy.  Without Internet, I get the rotating circle thing every time I click anything. After a couple of minutes it's like it times out and then appears to proceed ok anyway.   Another problem I noticed is that movies appear to show in a lower resolution, like regardless of saved quality, it plays in SD mode.  

Any idea what cause the network timeouts, and what cause the lower quality?

EDIT. After fiddling around with the Emby client a bit, I changed "Quality" from around 836 Kb/s to 3 Mb/s and then it was good again.  This never happened when it could connect to the Internet, so why now?  

Hi. I would be sure you are actually connecting to your server with its local address.

2 hours ago, renecd said:

and I realize that is a Google Chromecast TV thingy problem, it keeps popping up "No internet connection" every few minutes, very annoying. Any way to stop that?

Not that I'm aware of.  These devices are designed as connected streaming devices so their creators can't see any value in them without an internet connection.

I'm sure I'm connecting to the local address. 100%.

Any suggestions for alternative ways to watch Emby content on a TV then?

grizlyadams
20 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. I would be sure you are actually connecting to your server with its local address

It's nothing to do with local address - all my devices use the correct, local, ipaddress (192.168.x.x). If it were a network issue, then surely the browser wouldn't connect either? But the browser from all 3 of my android based devices connect immediately when the app does not...

• Like 1

A browser is just that.  It is one interface going exactly where you tell it to.  These streaming boxes from the likes of Google and Amazon are chocked full of stuff that is constantly reaching out to the outer world to get information and provide information.  Most of them do not function very well when disconnected because that is not what their makers want them to do.

Getting past whatever the device (and other apps on the device in the background) may be doing, we also will reach out for Premiere checks but, only once per day.