Why does Emby appear to need an internet connection to work on a local

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

I have emby running in a docker on an Unraid server. 

I do not use emby connect. 

I have an android tv, Amazon fire TV stick and mobile via web browser client.

Both the android TV and fire TV stick apps will not connect to the emby server if I lose my internet connection. The browser works fine on bothe my phone and the android TV.

Are the apps doing phone home for some reason?

Any suggestions?

Edited by grizlyadams

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

Both the android TV and fire TV stick will not connect to the emby server of if I lose my internet connection.

Those client apps require internet connection to validate - though should not require it continuously but run on cache for a certain period. Are you saying that they require it at all times to be able to function? 

grizlyadams
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you sure you are connecting using the local address?

Absolutely positive.

grizlyadams
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Those client apps require internet connection to validate - though should not require it continuously but run on cache for a certain period. Are you saying that they require it at all times to be able to function? 

Yes, the second I lose the internet, Emby will not work with the apps. Browser works fine from all devices.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

Yes, the second I lose the internet, Emby will not work with the apps.

That's odd, for local connection. I'd suggest you reproduce the issue and submit in-app logs for the Dev to take a look at. 

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new tile on your home page settings row (or menu option on the user menu at the top) labelled "Send Log".  Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper
Just now, pwhodges said:

Are you using Emby Connect?

Paul

14 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

I do not use emby connect

28 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

Yes, the second I lose the internet, Emby will not work with the apps. Browser works fine from all devices.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

grizlyadams
35 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That's odd, for local connection. I'd suggest you reproduce the issue and submit in-app logs for the Dev to take a look at. 

I can't do anything with the app - it just sits there saying "Loading..." with the spinning icon in the middle of the screen...

Edited by grizlyadams

grizlyadams
26 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

I will once I get internet back.

The internet just came back and the Emby app immediately connected. 

grizlyadams
3 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

The internet just came back and the Emby app immediately connected. 

I've just clicked the "Send Logs" button in the android app.

grizlyadams
42 minutes ago, grizlyadams said:

I will once I get internet back.

I've loaded it - I'll test with the internet disconnected tomorrow. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, grizlyadams said:

I've just clicked the "Send Logs" button in the android app.

Your log begins at 21:25.  Exactly when were you having the problem?

rbjtech

Might be worth checking dependency services as well - dns is always one that catches people out, unless you have a local dns server as part of your name resolution, any 'local' names may fail to resolve as part of the dns lookup.     Put them as local host entries - and it may work ok without the internet.

• Like 1

justinrh

Do some plugins require Internet access and block Emby from moving on?

rbjtech
6 hours ago, justinrh said:

Do some plugins require Internet access and block Emby from moving on?

Some check for premier license status yes, but I believe this is got from the main emby system,  the plugin itself does not call home.

grizlyadams
On 11/05/2023 at 14:38, ebr said:

Your log begins at 21:25.  Exactly when were you having the problem?

when I first posted (about 21:12) is when the problem started - probably some minutes before, so call is 21:00  - the internet wasn't back at until i posted at 22:27 so 21:25 is in the period of no internet availability.

grizlyadams
On 12/05/2023 at 08:47, rbjtech said:

Some check for premier license status yes, but I believe this is got from the main emby system,  the plugin itself does not call home.

and it sat there doing nothing for, literally, an hour; anything that "phones home" should surely give it a rest after a few attempts (like seconds, not hours)

grizlyadams
On 11/05/2023 at 17:46, rbjtech said:

Might be worth checking dependency services as well - dns is always one that catches people out, unless you have a local dns server as part of your name resolution, any 'local' names may fail to resolve as part of the dns lookup.     Put them as local host entries - and it may work ok without the internet.

i don't use name resolution for emby, I use the IP address for the emby server in all apps. I did think that it might be something to do with DNS , but then i thought "why would it sit there for an hour and do nothing?

When I have time (pffft!) I'll set up Wireshark and see what traffic is happening when emby runs.

Edited by grizlyadams
  • Like 1

rbjtech
11 hours ago, grizlyadams said:

i don't use name resolution for emby, I use the IP address for the emby server in all apps. I did think that it might be something to do with DNS , but then i thought "why would it sit there for an hour and do nothing?

When I have time (pffft!) I'll set up Wireshark and see what traffic is happening when emby runs.

using something like sysinternals (if using Windows..) will probably be much easier to identify what's going on.

On a simple emby reboot, I can see it querying all sorts of external sources ... but as you say, if it's timing out after x seconds, that's fine - but if it's not, then that is an issue .. (local hosts file sending it to loopback may help here for testing ..)

image.thumb.png.8644919a10cafaeb345bb99f70ddaac8.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

grizlyadams
On 17/05/2023 at 10:32, rbjtech said:

using something like sysinternals (if using Windows..) will probably be much easier to identify what's going on.

On a simple emby reboot, I can see it querying all sorts of external sources ... but as you say, if it's timing out after x seconds, that's fine - but if it's not, then that is an issue .. (local hosts file sending it to loopback may help here for testing ..)

I am on windows but don't run the emby server (not a server issue anyway as the web client connect just fine) or clients on windows (all on some flavour of android - TV, Fire Stick and Mobile) so process monitor won't help. I'll sniff the network when I get some time and inclination.

• Like 1

zellonatious
On 5/11/2023 at 6:12 AM, grizlyadams said:

Both the android TV and fire TV stick apps will not connect to the emby server if I lose my internet connection. The browser works fine on bothe my phone and the android TV.

That's not true for me. I have a firestick 4k (the latest one) as a secondary device. It has no internet access, and only can communicate with my emby server. It works fine.