Resume play feature resumes from wrong file

Familia Chapin

tampoon

For me it's always when jumping from user to user. And the originating user has content restrictions. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I don't know how the library dB's are handled between users with restrictions. Yeah I agree it's the app itself. As I have seen it on different models now. 

Hi. This should not happen and must be due to something recent since only recently we heard about this.

@tampoon@Familia ChapinHow did you start the playback on the Roku?

1. Just pressing Play on your Roku remote which focused on the tile? Which screen are you on if so when you do this and which row?
2. You navigated to the detail view and pressed Ok on the Roku remote on the Emby play button? What does the detail screen show as images? Do they differ from the metadata and text shown. As if the metadata is one thing and the images are something else?
3. You chose the "cast" icon on another app and linked to the Emby Roku app then played content to the Roku from that other Emby app? As the Roku app loads does the background image represent what was chose to cast or does it change to something else?

Want to solve this and the best way to do it is fully reproduce the scenario. Can either of you let me know whether 1, 2, or 3. And then just answer the questions for that number. Thanks.

Are either of you in the Emby Roku Beta? Are you using the Beta? Does it happen with the Beta? If you aren't on the Beta, would you like to be?

Edited by speechles

Familia Chapin

Hey speechless. My post from May 6 has a play by play of the scenario with screenshots.

I think this would fall under scenario 2. Ok the details page everything is showing correctly. On the screenshots from May 6, you'll even see that the first movie played (from beginning) played correctly. It is when i try to resume another movie that the original movie plays at the timestamp of the actual selected movie. If i got back to the details page of the original movie (which was incorrectly played by emby this time) that resume from timestamp has updated. So emby knows it played that movie. Just it shouldn't have. Sorry i know this is a bit complicated to explain

tampoon

Yeah 2 for me also. Everything looks normal. Just plays the wrong video. And what's funny is it puts the wrong movie it played in my recently played. So the server must know the user played it and puts it in the list. And as far as I have observed user 1 plays a movie without leaving the app change to user 2 and plays some other long form content it plays the movie user 1 last played. I am on beta server. I and not sure about beta Roku. If I'm not in it I would like to be. 

Familia Chapin

Same here. About the recently played list.I'm thinking it just keeps going as long as the "session" remains open. In other words until the app is closed and reopened.

Also I'm in the beta for the server. If be down for the Roku beta if you tell me for to get it

Until I can figure out what this is, the Roku beta won't make any difference.  We're looking into it and, once I have something to test, I will invite you guys to the app beta.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Okay. The scenario involves changing users?

Then the step are this?
1. Login as anyone
2. Play a video from the detail view
3. Go back to homescreen and change users
4. Play a different video from the detail view
5. The different video doesn't play the first video plays?

I think I can see how this can happen. Let me get with the team and figure this out.

Familia Chapin
1 hour ago, speechles said:

Okay. The scenario involves changing users?

Then the step are this?
1. Login as anyone
2. Play a video from the detail view
3. Go back to homescreen and change users
4. Play a different video from the detail view
5. The different video doesn't play the first video plays?

I think I can see how this can happen. Let me get with the team and figure this out.

Hey that's right. In my case i don't even need to change users (i haven't seen that) but that is the experience of tampon. I'm both cases, user change or not, the resume feature doesn't play the different video. It plays the first video.

3 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

Hey that's right. In my case i don't even need to change users (i haven't seen that) but that is the experience of tampon. I'm both cases, user change or not, the resume feature doesn't play the different video. It plays the first video.

Those video are not part of any collection are they? They do not spawn the version drop down on the detail screen?

Trying to narrow this down.

Edited by speechles

Familia Chapin
2 hours ago, speechles said:

Those video are not part of any collection are they? They do not spawn the version drop down on the detail screen?

Trying to narrow this down.

Good thought, but they are not part of a collection. No multiple version either so no drop downs. Only in the subtitle section.

Familia Chapin

Ok coming back to this one too. Anything else you can think of that i can provide to help you reproduce this phenomenon? Could I take a video perhaps?

4 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

Ok coming back to this one too. Anything else you can think of that i can provide to help you reproduce this phenomenon? Could I take a video perhaps?

HI, yes that would be helpful. thanks !

Familia Chapin

Here is a video of my steps. I played the Expendables from the beginning. No matter what video i selected to resume after that. The expendables played but at the resume time of the actual selected movie. Then when i selected Batman as play from beginning, all resume playing only played Batman.

I submitted logs through the app as well. Around 8:01pm est from user Familia.

embyserver 529.txt

Edited by Familia Chapin

Yeah I can see in your log what is happening.  I just have no idea how that could happen and, if I execute the exact same actions as your video, it works fine for me.

There's got to be a factor we are missing somehow but I don't know what.

Just because I have nothing else to try at this point, if I invite you to the beta, could you try that version?

Familia Chapin

I am already on the BETA server...but i think you are referring to the beta Roku app that was mentioned earlier right?I am certainly willing to try that.

Yes, I'm referring to the app.  There have been no changes that should affect what is happening to you but its the only thing I can think to try at this point.  Watch for a PM.

tampoon

Confirmed. Error occurs on beta also. Again triggered the way it always happens for me. Swapped users after watching a back to the future 2. Resumed playing megamind from my son's profile and played back to the future 2 from same resume point. 

• 2 months later...
Sarge88

I was made aware that my in-laws are having this issue as well. Using a Roku streaming stick. Has there been any update on this?  I'm also on the beta server. 

Edited by Sarge88

Familia Chapin

I think they said it was addressed but I'm still having the issue. I'm waiting for the group to conclude an issue that is being discussed and then I'll re-up the issue.

We have still never been able to reproduce this.  There is obviously an issue but we cannot determine under what conditions it occurs.