Resume play feature resumes from wrong file

Familia Chapin

Familia Chapin

HI team,

So I just noticed that if I play a video on my TCL Roku TV, when i stop that video and then "Resume Play" on another video, it will start playing that previously played video but at the timestamp of the correct video. I feel like that sounds like the Krang from Ninja Turtles, so I will give an example (backed by logs). The log was sent from the TV around 10:07 PM EST from user Familia

I played Batman: the Doom....it was direct play. I only let it run a few seconds then stopped it. Then I went to the movie M3gan which was previously unfinished so i selected to resume playing (it was around the 57 minute time stamp i believe). What actually played was Batman but at the 57 minute time stamp. When i exited that video, it now showed up on the Continue Watching section because it remembered that time. I don't have any transcode logs because it was all direct play. Let me know if you need anything else to look into this one.

12 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

I only let it run a few seconds then stopped it.

Hi.  Exactly how did you stop it?

12 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

Then I went to the movie M3gan which was previously unfinished so i selected to resume playing

Exactly how did you "go to" that movie and how did you "select to resume"?

What I see in your logs is the first item you selected never really starting to play properly.  It is throwing errors and re-trying.

Okay, I was looking at the other log you sent right before this one.

Is this something you can reproduce at will?

Familia Chapin

Hi ebr,

I can reproduce this at will. On the first movie (batman) I select it using my remote on the Movie folder then use play. To stop it, I use the back button on the remote, which brings me back to the title page for the movie (which actors listed synopsis, etc). Then I go to the EMBY homepage which contains the Continue Watching option for all the different libraries. Batman isnt showing (correctly), because I only let it play for less than 30 seconds. However several other movies are there. One being M3gan. When i choose that one, Batman plays but at the timestamp that M3gan had. When i stop it (using the back button on my remote) Batman then shows up on the Continue Watching section of the homepage.

I then recreate the situation (play batman for a few seconds, thus removing the continue watching option). This time instead of choosing continue watching for M3gan, i just choose to play from beginning. It played M3gan correctly (from the beginning). I reproduced this multiple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke or something.

I can try to send some logs tonight once i'm finished work and the little ones are in bed.

30 minutes ago, Familia Chapin said:

I can try to send some logs tonight once i'm finished work and the little ones are in bed.

that would be great, thanks.

Does this only happen if you stop the first item quickly (after less than a minute)?

Familia Chapin

I just sent some logs through the Roku send log option. Sent around 12:39ish AM from user Familia. I tried to play Batman, Lego Movie 2, M3gan, and 65. First I played Batman for a few minutes and then tried to use the resume playing feature for all the other ones. Only Batman would play.

embyserver 5.5.txt

• Thanks 1

I cannot reproduce this for some reason.

Are you always doing your test with the same initial item?

Familia Chapin

Well, i have for testing. But when i first noticed this, they were with completely different files. I will try to reproduce with other files and send those logs.

Familia Chapin

Ok, so this round i started with a movie i havent watched since...Christmas. Elf. I played and fat forwarded to maybe about 5 minutes or so i think it was. It had the resume play option when i stopped the video (using the back button on my Roku remote). Then i tried to resume playing Despicable Me 3. It played Elf at the time stamp of Despicable Me 3. Then I tried Spirited. Same thing. 

Every time i stop the movie, the Elf page updates its resume play timestamp to where i stopped the video. and the selected video doesn't change (as expected because the video never played.

I sent logs through the Roku app as well. User Familia somewhere around 4:32pm ET.

embyserver5.txt

Familia Chapin

And I just did another test. So i restarted my emby app on roku and just want straight to resume playing. It worked for several videos. But the moment i started a video from the beginning from that point on, only that video would play whenever i tried resume playing for any other movie. I sent logs for that as well at 4:41PM ET user Familia.

embyserver55.txt

tampoon

i have observed the same/similar behaviors. last night son had a movie going, which we stopped mid way, changed profiles started another moving from resume and instead of playing the selected file from the resume point it was playing the movie from my sons profile from the same timestamp. after starting from the beginning again it then did play the correct file and just FF to the timestamp again. 

strangely i have also seen numerous times when selecting a menu in the roku emby app that app opening something else. like i select my nhl library and it opens movies, ill go back and do it again then it works. not sure if this is related.  

I still cannot reproduce this.  It has to be a specific sequence of events or maybe settings.  is it possible for you to take a screenshot at each step along the way?  Maybe I can spot something...

Familia Chapin

Ok here is the rundown:

1. This is the movie page/library

2. I chose dungeons and dragons

3. I messed up the shot here but was supposed to show that there is no resume option as this is the first time I'm attempting to play this file

4. This shows it started from the beginning.

5. This is where i stopped playing it using the back button on my remote.

6. This shows the resume playback feature is correctly showing it stopped at 9:16

7. Now i chose the movie 65 from the continue watching section (this behavior is the same regardless of where i choose the content).

8. It shows that 65 should resume at front stamp 51:41.

9. This shot shows that emby is starting video from 65 media page

10. As you can see dungeons and dragons played at the timestamp of 51:41 which was the stamp for 65. The original timestamp of dungeons and dragons was 9:16 (screenshot 6).

11. When i stopped the media using the back button on remote, it returned me to 65 page, even though you saw it was playing dungeons and dragons.

12. When i went back to the dungeons and dragons page, the timestamp is now showing 51:48 which is where it stopped when it got played from the 65 page.

Hopefully that wasn't too much but you can see something funny is going on (not just my bad taste in movies lol). This doesn't happen if the first and all subsequent videos are resume play initiated. This only happens when a new movie is played from the beginning. Almost as if the identifier use to mark that movie overwrites everything else.

20230506_224140.jpg

20230506_224144.jpg

20230506_224202.jpg

20230506_224217.jpg

20230506_224237.jpg

20230506_224250.jpg

20230506_224300.jpg

20230506_224307.jpg

20230506_224313.jpg

20230506_224319.jpg

20230506_224330.jpg

20230506_224342.jpg

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, I still can't reproduce.  If you try "65" a second time, does it still play the other movie?  If you do the play operations with the "Play" button on the remote without entering the detail screens, does the problem still occur?

Do you have theme songs and that option enabled?

Grasping at straws...

tampoon

yeah those screens are exactly the behaviors i have seen too. and i think i do have theme songs turned on but i dont think they have every worked ill double check the setting. now i have only noticed this happening for me on movies , tv shows i cant recall it ever happening. and what do you know i have that same tcl roku tv. i do have a streambar pro, a couple premieres and an express i could test on too

when i started to ponder this issue (i have no evidence of this as of yet) i kind of thought it was probably more a server side issue that had to do with the transcoding. like the last thing in the transcode buffer was x movie and when i started y movie it just played the file that was already in there. then again op said this was direct play so maybe its something else getting confused. 

ill have to try to repro the issue myself again and see if wiping the transcode folder corrects it. or if i can repro any other ways with any other devices.

op mentioned issues with video play back stopping, and i also just started noticing that when i was watching a show it started also for like .05sec then jumped to the next episode i dont know why it did that. when i go back to that video and catch it before it fails and hit the correct playback option it starts to play correctly. ( this was happening on the streambar in this case) 

1 hour ago, tampoon said:

i kind of thought it was probably more a server side issue

This is definitely an app-side issue.  I just don't know what it is yet because I cannot reproduce it.

tampoon

i was messing with an express and also could not repro it.

i wonder if its just the tcl tv roku version somehow. ill try to do the same on my streambar. 

and if its only while in the same emby session moving from file to file vs closing the app and resuming another file. 

i cant remember is there a way to get logs from the app?

15 hours ago, tampoon said:

i cant remember is there a way to get logs from the app?

Yes but Chapin has already provided some.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, tampoon said:

i wonder if its just the tcl tv roku version somehow.

Most likely related to some sort of option that is different rather than the actual hardware.  Can you look at the settings and see if there are any differences between the two?

tampoon

other roku settings

lang: auto 

time: default

backdrops:yes

enhanced home screen : yes

horz scroll: float

quality auto 

cinema intros :yes

auto next ep: yes

skip intro: auto skip

burn in ssa: no

are you still watching: no

theme songs: no

convert multi channle aac/flac: no

hevc 60 fps: yes 

allow direct stream of live steam: no

show extra playback info:yes

remember me: no

debug: yes

----------------------

differences for the tv 

quality set to 4k110 (which auto was causing it to pick a lower standard which was causing hdr not to kick on

hevc 60 set to no 

and has setting for limiting fps to 30 set to no (which was missing from the other device)

• 2 weeks later...
tampoon

Welp nm. I just had this happen with a Roku premiere. So kids watching flubber under their user acct. Swapped to mine played a couple tv shows. Then started watching f1 qualifying and it started playing flubber.. exited the video and went back in same thing. Weird stuff 

tampoon

I managed to keep it bugged for abit So played around with this for a bit and mp4 encodes so far work correctly it seems to be larger h264 and hevc consistently played incorrectly. After i played about 5 or 6 items it cleared. 

Familia Chapin

I will try that. My in-laws just ran into the same problem on my server. They also have a Roku tv. The video they played was transcoded while the ones i tested were direct play. I think the Roku app is the issue. Not necessarily emby server. Just don't know how to prove/show the technical side of it.

7 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

I think the Roku app is the issue

That is almost certainly the case.  I just cannot figure out how either because I have been unable to reproduce this so far.