Important : Limitation of Emby premiere

caaptusss

caaptusss

The purpose of these "splinters" is precisely to allow the emby team to realize that their economic model is no longer adapted to the use that the users make of it.
A project that doesn't listen to its community (and your message proves that I'm not the only one to complain) is doomed to disappear in the short or long term.

I'm not a fan of changing creamery every 4 mornings. I prefer to trust a tool that I use and that I am satisfied with most of its features. But when something goes wrong, I say it clearly.
Having only happy people in front of you doesn't allow you to know the true thinking of the majority of your audience towards you. Accepting criticism and confronting opposing opinions is much healthier than locking yourself in your bubble of benevolence.

To conclude, I confirm you that I migrated on Jellyfin, which is maybe not as successful as Emby, but which has the merit to be clear about its license: it is free.
And the mere fact that this fork exists shows that I am far from being the only one to think that this licensing system is pure theft.

I will be able to contribute to the project by integrating some features from Emby to make it more complete. It seems that this is also the strength of capitalism: having to adapt to a competitor who can become better than you.

Good luck for the future of your project, as far as I'm concerned, it will stop here (well in 1 year for some devices since I paid the license like a fool for the year, I might as well use it to the maximum of what it allows me...).

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2

C.S.

Surely whoever works on jellyfin when they feel like it will be ecstatic to have your input.

• Agree 2

caaptusss

Honestly, what's the difference with the Emby team?

Bugs have been reported for months, especially on the transcoding imposed when the audio stream is in DTS on the LG application, half of my movies are not playable for months, and no update in sight?

We have no roadmap on the new features to come, the last update of the server goes back to months while there are bugs reported every day.
When I pay for something, I expect it to be fixed in a reasonable time. When I don't pay, I wait and shut up.

Spaceboy
1 minute ago, caaptusss said:

When I don't pay, I wait and shut up

how long exactly do we have to wait for that?

• Haha 5

C.S.

I'm sure the team is working hard on the next release, but even if they weren't, what they've done to this point is create software that works on basically every platform without having to resort to a browser. I only have a paltry couple dozen users - not as impressive as you I know - and nobody accesses my server through a browser but me, and that's only for admin purposes.

But good luck with JF. Have fun getting help on reddit.😆

thornbill
On 5/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, C.S. said:

Surely whoever works on jellyfin when they feel like it will be ecstatic to have your input.

The Jellyfin team is always glad to receive input from the community! Especially considering it wouldn’t exist without the community contributing to it in various ways! 💜

• 3 weeks later...
caaptusss

How many time we have to wait for an update of the devices counting on the premiere licencing ?

JovaBocca
On 5/1/2023 at 7:18 PM, caaptusss said:

The real problem is that I have a dozen nephews, parents, in-laws, cousins, and just now we are over 25 individuals.
You add my work colleagues (about 15), and the few close friends I want to help financially (yes, taking a package on netflix + disney + premium + OCS + Apple etc... is extremely expensive), and you quickly reach 50 people.
And I haven't even started talking to my sports buddies yet.
This limitation is stupid. The international legislation is clear: a tool that allows to share freely personal content, remains a tool. How you get the content is none of your business. Otherwise, as kikinjo says, you'd be worse than Tesla at blacklisting a car remotely because you think hacking it is against YOUR rules.
Your position is clearly not adequate. Your limitation is purely arbitrary and does not take into account the original spirit of sharing that has allowed the internet to develop for over 40 years.
But, in short, I understand your position. I am already installing another solution and migrating my media libraries to it. You will have earned an annual license paid for nothing, good for you, and a pity for your community which will only crumble by staying on a dogma of this type.

Good morning, I was really fascinated by your service to the point that I purchased the annual license even before having any multimedia files. I have recommended your product to dozens of people who were unaware of the licensing issue deliberately made unclear.

I have only just discovered the licensing issue myself, and I fully support the opinion of this person who urges you to reconsider your licensing method. Know that you will lose many customers because of this disagreement. I am willing to switch without any issues and alert all the people I recommended your service to.

Best regards."

• Haha 1

caaptusss

image.png.b4e9639b7ea55e233e0c5848f2c844a4.png

I don(t understand, i have clean alls devices and restricted all users to free functions...

Why me subscription didn't be unblock now ?!

image.thumb.png.b5e49a99a00f83bd6f26122f2b1466f2.png

2 hours ago, JovaBocca said:

the licensing issue deliberately made unclear

What do you feel was unclear?

caaptusss
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Devices are counted over a one week period.  You cannot control this in your dashboard.  This is explained here:

Is there a limit to Emby Premiere?

Hello,
I have seen this page and I consider your explanation as not serious.
I put my server in conformity by limiting according to your rules. It is now mandatory that you unlock my license!
When you take a fine for speeding, we let you go immediately after regulation, we do not tell you to wait 1 week before you can drive!
No but seriously, your management is at the limit of the swindle !

Especially since it is already paid for the whole year !

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1

Junglejim
40 minutes ago, caaptusss said:

Hello,
I put my server in conformity by limiting according to your rules. It is now mandatory that you unlock my license!
When you take a fine for speeding, we let you go immediately after regulation, we do not tell you to wait 1 week before you can drive!

LOL, There is no swindle mate..

https://emby.media/premiere.html

"The following licenses are for single household use and carry a 25 device limit. If you plan to support more devices please see our Extended Premiere Options." !!!!

I paid for lifetime and I don't even use remote access, I just want to help the dev's out and gain access to premier features.

If you don't like it I suggest you use something else!

caaptusss

Who cares what I like or don't like? We are talking about respect for the user.
See Netflix which is losing thousands of users in France since yesterday following their stupid rule forbidding the connection on multi-site, I really feel that the people who manage Emby are from the same schools.

The respect of the user, it is to bring him a solution when he is blocked and that he does what he can to respect an arbitrary rule which does not make any sense.
I RESPECT THE RULE.
I expect my license to be reactivated immediately.

• Haha 4

Junglejim

This is not Netflix.. You think it should be..?  LOL. It's people like you that could take down this app!

• Agree 1

Junglejim
11 minutes ago, caaptusss said:

I think you are completely off the mark, yes.

Your the one that is off the mark mate!

I agree with Netflix it stops freeloaders like you and your mates!

I also agree with Emby's license, it also stops total idiots like you from taking advantage of it.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, caaptusss said:

Hello,

Hi.  Our limit is not simultaneous access.  It is clearly defined as total devices used over the period of one week.  That is the criteria and, as soon as your server falls within it, new devices will be allowed again.

Note, the previous devices are still able to access all features - just no new ones.

Thanks.

• Agree 2

crusher11

I love this thread.

"Hi, I am trying to commit crimes. Please allow me to commit crimes."

• Like 7

Bottles51

For all that may share with over 25 FRIENDS and FAMILY if you are over the limit of devices, how about having them buy the app. If your SHARING with them what is the big deal over a 5 dollar app when they are getting the content and you are putting in all the work to provide it. Just Saying!

• Like 1

caaptusss
10 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I love this thread.

"Hi, I am trying to commit crimes. Please allow me to commit crimes."

I repeat, what I do is legal in France. I don't care if you consider it illegal.
Besides, who are you to judge what I do with this tool? Even if it were illegal, if I wanted to use a hammer to kill someone, would you ban the manufacture of hammers?

You've got to be intelligent for 5 minutes...

caaptusss
4 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

For all that may share with over 25 FRIENDS and FAMILY if you are over the limit of devices, how about having them buy the app. If your SHARING with them what is the big deal over a 5 dollar app when they are getting the content and you are putting in all the work to provide it. Just Saying!

The real problem is that inflation in France is becoming terrible, and being able to subscribe to a Netflix-type streaming offer is becoming very complicated. You have to make a choice between paying the electricity bill and access to culture.
I prefer to help people gain access to culture because it doesn't cost me much. You have to show solidarity when the world goes wrong. But it seems that sharing is a far-off dream, even though it was the foundation of the Internet.

C.S.
1 hour ago, caaptusss said:

I repeat, what I do is legal in France. I don't care if you consider it illegal.
Besides, who are you to judge what I do with this tool? Even if it were illegal, if I wanted to use a hammer to kill someone, would you ban the manufacture of hammers?

What you have is a hammer that turns into jelly when you try to kill somebody with it.

And you want that limitation removed.

Junglejim
14 hours ago, caaptusss said:

So your saying re-broadcasting copyrighted content without a license to do so is legal in your country?

I'm sure the big studios/tv networks would disagree about that!

Downloading is one thing.. maybe a small fine/slap on the wrist but re-broadcasting copyrighted content without a license is a different story and can lead to a huge fine or some time in jail in most countries.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 2